Acronis 9 trial won't uninstall gracefully

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fatfreek, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatfreek

fatfreek Registered Member

I used Acronis True Image 9 for my old Win2k system. In my new Vista system I therefore installed Acronis but inadvertently installed the trial version (the message told me I had 15 days to evaluate Acronis). I looked for a place to state my serial number but couldn't find any.

After emailing for help, their technician emailed and told me to uninstall that trial version and proceed with some special download that I have downloaded but haven't installed. I think you'll see why.

However, the uninstall may have introduced some bad stuff. When I did the recommended restart after uninstalling Acronis, Windows did not do so gracefully. I got the "Windows Error Recovery -- Launch Startup Repair" message. From there I finally ended up with choosing a backup point that Vista had somehow automatically created. (I'm a novice to Vista and forgot about setting backup points. My bad.) The backup point, unfortunately brought Acronis back to life (if, in fact, the uninstall actually worked).

I suppose I can try the uninstall again at risk of repeating this 4 hour fiasco. Any tips?

Len
    ps: yes, I emailed the technician back with this similar message.

2. fatfreek

fatfreek Registered Member

After the Windows uninstaller fiasco, I was unsure about accepting any more Acronis help.

However, a technician from Acronis emailed me a link to an exe file that is supposed to clean up any Acronis items. It's crude and I was scared to try it. After setting a Restore Point inside Vista (just in case of failure), I tried it -- and it worked and for that I am grateful.

I then proceeded to install the new version of 9.xxxx he had sent earlier. It accepted my serial number, I did a complete disk image with no problems.

One difference on my Vista machine vs my old Win2k box: On the old I was able to define an archive size that allowed me to have archives of 18 to 22 Gb without splitting. Despite my intentional large setting of 75 Gb on the new system, the files are split to some 4.x Gb.

I thought this would be a problem to navigate and find certain files for restoration. Not so, as the explorer looks at the entire tree of files to allow selection.

Many thanks,
    Len

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Your file size of 4.x gb sounds like the storage drive where the backups are being created is a FAT32 file system. You need NTFS on the storage drive to achieve a single file.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Len,

You may convert FAT32 file system to NTFS without data loss using Microsoft convert.exe utility:

1. Click Start, click Programs, Accessories, and then click Command Prompt
    2. At the command prompt, type CONVERT [driveletter]: /FS:NTFS
    3. Convert.exe will attempt to convert the partition to NTFS

See this Microsoft KB article for more information.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.