Acronis 9 Restore Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fawny, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fawny

fawny Registered Member

I am running Window XP Pro, 1gb of Ram, and two physical HDDs. Each HDD has three (3) partitions.
    When I last reformatted the master drive, the slave drive was hooked up, so initially the were lettered as follows:
    Master: C, E, & F
    Slave: D, I, & J
    the roms were: G and H <DVD burner,CDrom,)

After XP was installed, I renamed the drive partition as follows:
    Master: C, D & E
    Slave: F, G & H
    the roms were: Y and Z <DVD burner,CDrom)

C drive has XP installed and D drive is where I install Programs.

After installing Acronis 9, I made images of C and D partitions and saved them on E drive (I did NOT create a secuity zone).

A few days later, after installing a few programs, I wanted to test the restore as I was not happy with new programs, Acronis seemed the easiest way to do this.

I started to restore C drive first, this is where it got confusing. First I was told that C drive was busy and given 3 or 4 options. I chose to boot into the Manager (believe that is correct) and it booted to what looked like a dos region.

When I stated to choose the source for the images to be restored, instead of having the drives show as I had renamed them, they showed like they were when I originally formatted the master. That blew my mind right off the bat. I was able to find the images, but NOT on E drive where I had stored them.

I stopped the restore at that time, as I was not sure I would NOT wipeout a drive on my slave or end up restoring the D drive image on the E drive partition.

I know I could re-format my system again with the Slave disconnected to correct this problem. I really don't want to have to do this. I really don't want to have to disconnect the slave each time I want to restore images either.

HOW DO I GET AROUND THIS ISSUE OR IS IT REALLY A PROBLEM? :eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You were able to rename your partitions because you were in Windows. You are no longer in Windows, so the Windows naming scheme cannot be utilized. This is mentioned in the User Guide. I’d Cut&Paste it but I can’t seem to Cut from the Help screen.

3. fawny

fawny Registered Member

Do you know the section of help? Or the users manual?

4. TheWeaz

The first page of the "Recovery" section. There's a big 'NOTE'.

5. fawny

fawny Registered Member

:rolleyes: I saw one place in help, but it did NOT say how to work around or with it. It does talk about assigning a letter to a restored partition in the manual. To me that one stupid way to have to operate.

*puppy* IF I have to go through this everytime to restore an image, my money was wasted and the praise of how good Acronis is, was way out line.

6. TheWeaz

You will have the same issue with ANY app that runs outside Windows.
    I suggest you try this:
    While in Windows Explorer, right click each drive, one at a time, and then select Properties. In the box at the top of the Properties window, give each drive a unique and recognizable label; like “My C Drive”. See if that solves your problem. The drive letters may change, but the labels should remain the same.

7. fawny

fawny Registered Member

I beg your pardon, but I have been using Ghost 2003 and it definitely does NOT do that.
    It sees them same as the way I renamed them.

Another thing I see in the manual is that Acronis does not support regular DVD disks to burn images, only rewritables. Another dumb move.

This getting to be more and more a pain.:-*

8. TheWeaz

I can only suggest that you try something else.

9. fawny

fawny Registered Member

I would love to find something that supports sata drives, but right now Acronis and Ghost 10 seem to be only two that do. Both of these appear to work the same way. They both have the same restore problem of changing the partition names during restore and neither support standard DVD+R or DVD-R disks :mad:

With Win XP and using ide HDDs, then Ghost 2003 works like a champ :D

Maybe there will be some changes or updates soon to one of these that make changes to these issues as I see them.

Thank you

10. TheWeaz

The partition letters may change, but I don't believe the "names" change. That's why I suggested giving each partition a "unique and recognizable label".

11. Geedubya

Geedubya Registered Member

So, Fawny, I'm curious since we've had many of the same experiences backing up - did True Image ever do it for you, or is it back to Ghost 2003.

I liked Ghost 9 a whole lot better than 2003 - I'd like to run TWO automated backups each night of the main c: hard drive to two different places and Ghost 2003 as best I can decipher will only let me have ONE automated Backup.

I had high hopes for True Image 8.0, but I still haven't been able to restore a backup of my Main Active WIndows XP partition (which is F: and not C:) and have the restore actually run WIndows XP - very frustrating.

12. fawny

fawny Registered Member

TheWeaz, I will try that suggestion for sure, I just have NOT gotten to it yet. There are several things I can try, mainly disconnecting the slave drive when formatting and using Acronis to restore images. This a PITA though. The one thing I am sorely disappointed in is that you CANNOT used a standard DVD disk to store an image. I really do NOT understand why that would be.

Geedubya, Have I given up on Acronis? NOT YET :-* On my XP, ide HHD computer I will however, continue to use Ghost 2003.

I have never used Ghost 9, but have used 2003 for the last few years and find it easy and quick. I use it frequently and it has never failed me. The reason I am looking at Acronis is that I am building a computer now with sata drives and Ghost 2003 will definitely NOT work for that computer. I am also looking at Ghost v10, and according to the user manual, it has the same limitations I see in Acronis <mainly the types of disk that can be used for image storage>.
    From what I understand about Ghost v10, that it also is likely to see drive letters differently while creating an image and while restoring them. Tomorrow I am going to reformat an old HDD with the slave drive disconnected and see what happens. When I try to restore with the slave connected. If the partition letter/names don't change then I may have a winner.

That is kind of where I am right now. Happy with Ghost 2003 for non Sata drive PCs and not so happy with anything for Sata Drive PCs.

13. fawny

fawny Registered Member

:ninja:
    I did get around to renaming all the partitions and then with TI9, I made an image of the master partitions C and D <windows notations> and stored them on the master E drive. I then installed a couple of programs just for fun.
    At that time I tried to restore the C drive. TI went into the restore manage mode and after 45 minutes, it came back up and wanted to know where to restore my image. It had managed to turn the C partition into unallocated space.
    :-* I thought to myself that is bit strange o_O . At any rate, knowing that TI should restore to unallocated space, I continued to follow the prompts and with the manual in front of me. Long story short, after another 1hr and 45 minutes, I am back at the same place, with TI wanting to know where to restore the image.
    NOW I am completely confused as to what is going on.
    Any guidence would very helpful.
    To spend over 2.5 hours to try <note try> restore an image seems a bit much.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fawny,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As for the drive letters issue, please be aware that as is is pointed in section 5.1 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide "...disk letters in standalone Acronis True Image might sometimes differ from the way Windows identifies drives. For example, the D: drive identified in the standalone Acronis True Image might correspond to the E: drive in Windows...". However, after you restore an image and boot into the restored operating system the drive letters should be the same as they were at the moment you have created this particular image archive. The only thing we can recommend you to do in order to get around this "issue" is to follow TheWeaz's advice and give your logical drives some "recognizable" names in addition to the drive letters.

What concerns the problem you have encountered when tried to restore an image, first of all please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD, try to restore an image of a system partition once more and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persist with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and you still can not restore an image then please do the following:

1. If you are able to boot into Windows then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

2. If you are not able to boot into Windows for some reason then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also boot the computer having the issue from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 once more and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

A few posts discussing products/topics having nothing whatsoever to do with Acronis have been removed. Such discussion can take place in the software & services forum as always - not in the dedicated Acronis support forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.