Acronis 11 will not restore from an NS4300 NAS.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bill Patten, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Patten

Bill Patten Registered Member

Does anyone know why I can’t use Acronis 11 to restore from an NS4300 NAS, details follow.
    I recently installed the Promise NS4300 NAS on my network. Set up the task to back up my PC, then verified the backup. I even went in to the backup and retrieved a folder with some data that I needed. All worked as expected. I then decided to remove the RAID 0 from my main PC and go back to a Regular SATA connection. After breaking and removing on of the Raid 0 disks I tried to restore. OOPS didn’t work. I did lots of things that I will not bore you with by eventually put the RAID 0 back in and still I could not restore.
    Acronis would get to the part where it asked me what to restore, I’d click on DISK 1 and next. Then Back, Next and Cancel would all be grayed out and I’d wait about 10 minutes and nothing would happen. I tried all kinds of thing but nothing worked. Since the only thing different from the last time I did a restore, was the NAS, I copied the 69G file to my server and then connected and was able to restore OK.
    I later played with a much smaller backup on a test machine and found that sometimes it would get past the grayed out Back, Next and Cancel button but it would not successfully restore ( error message about bad sectors etc.) , but by copying the file to my server I could restore. Good news I CAN do restores however it is somewhat inconvenient copying large TIB files to other devices.

Bill

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bill Patten,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also make sure that network settings are correct when booting Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (network settings are located in Tools -> Options menu).

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Bill Patten

Bill Patten Registered Member

Thanks Marat,
    Trying the acpi=off thing did not fix the problem, however reading the other trouble shooting suggestions, drove home the fact that the Boot CD runs Linux. This got me to thinking that the NS4300 has switches for Windows, Mac and Linux. I went into the NAS and turned on Linux and guess what. I was able to restore my test machine from the NAS. I haven't tried my main machine yet but since I was able to duplicate the problem on the test machine I believe everything is OK now. I am replying incase someone else has a problem restoring from the NS4300.

Bill

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I'm sure someone with an NS4300 will be very grateful that you took the time to provide your solution. It's certainly not obvious, but it makes a lot of sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.