acronis 10

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by culla, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culla

culla Registered Member

so i've had acronis 10 for a couple of years and had a bit of a glitch on my computer so i thought i'd see how good it was so tried to restore from a full disk backup i had on my external drive

then it tells me after a couple of minutes that the image has an error

had to restart to find operating system not found so reinstalled xp to find external drive needs formatting
    so thanks acronis i lost 100gig of music,photos,video

:mad:

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

That's a bit of dreadful Culla - Did you check the ATI after you created it ?

I never have heeded the advice re. doing so but Gulp! at reading your
    experience,loss, and what I would also go through if one of mine hits the fan
    with any kind of error.

3. culla

culla Registered Member

yep checked no errors
    not reinstalling acronis again the bad thing was i could have fixed the glitch but thought i'd try acronis

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

You made a mistake in reformatting your external. At worst your external got corrupted, a simple chkdsk would have fixed that.

More than likely you had some sort of hardware compatibility problem. The chance that your backup image was corrupt is very low. If the acronis drivers has problems reading from the external drive, you will get read errors. If your image backup completed with no errors (when you backuped the drive), then it was probably good.

With acronis or any imaging software, there are many ways to restore a drive including using the boot cd on a different computer (different hardware) to restore a drive. Also sometime the bartpe will work better than the linux bootcd.

5. culla

culla Registered Member

no hardware compatibility problems
    couldn't do chkd because windows said it wasn't formatted

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Culla, one important piece of advice: no matter what imaging software you choose if you are really serious about having a reliable backup image, once you create your first backup (preferably after a fresh install) you should test it straight away by restoring the system.

It is the only way you can rely on it. If it works once chances are that it will always work on a particular system (unless you do significant hardware changes to your computer). Here at Wilders many members have done hundreds of restores with no problems (I'm up to around 40 perfect restores).

7. culla

culla Registered Member

not gonna try it again no real need now all my progs i run portable

8. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Their is always a need ffor a good drive Imaging program. Something everyone should have installed and always the first app I install on a new system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.