Accessing ext. encrypted USB hard disc with TrueCrypt possible ? Idea

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mattad, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattad

mattad Registered Member

Ok, Acronis TrueImage offers access of external hard discs.

However when the external hard disc is encrypted the user has a problem.
    I am using the wide spread and well known TrueCrypt (freeware, OpenSource) encryption software available from here:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

I would appreciate if I could at least do the following:

1.) Create the Emergency Rescue CD
    2.) Rip it off to an ISO archive file on my hard disc
    3.) Insert somewhere the truecrypt.sys encryption file driver + TrueCrypt.exe
    4.) Insert command line commands somewhere in an autostart.bat on the Rescue CD similar to

set /p encypteddrive=Enter encrypted drive
    set /p mappeddrive=Enter mapped drive
    TrueCrypt /v %encrypteddrive%:\ /l%mappeddrive% /a /q /mrm

After execution of these additonal commands the encrypted drive is accessible as a normal external USB Hardisc to the new drive letter %mappeddrive%
    (e.g. K:\)

5.) Burn the modified ISO CD

Unfortuantely I don't know where to put the TrueCrypt files and where to insert the additional command (there is no autostart.bat)

Can someone help me ?

Maybe there is a workaround for this problem.

Matt

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Short answer is that you can't do it with the Acronis Rescue CD environment. There is no way for a user to insert "stuff".

Your best bet would be to make a BartPE bootable CD. It is a stripped down Windows environment. You can add drivers and do customization in its configuration. A TI 9 plugin for BartPE is included in the TI distribution file. You have to do something like a Complete install for the plugin and related files to be installed in the Acronis folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.