About Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Biscuit, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

~~snip one line~~ I am considering changing my security products due to problems with Nod over the past year or so.

What sort of problems does Kaspersky have with stability?

Does anyone run Kaspersky alongside with Prevx2?

How does the Kaspersky suit compare with the Kaspersky avti-virus with regard to system stability & "bloat"?

Does anyone run Kaspersky in a server environment? (Exchange)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No offense , but you seem to mainly rely on people's opinion about something , which is not important at all because you might get 100 of positive posts about a given product but if it fails on your server(s) or workstation(s) , or on your clients' machines , the 100 positive posts really don't matter .

It is always the best to take some time and personally test the products on your own . I am sure you know the overall public opinion about this product so based on this and your tests , it would be enough to decide if you prefer to stay with ESET or go with Kaspersky.

Greetings! :thumb:

3. Biscuit

I think that asking for feedback from users is a perfectly valid route. It could take me some months to find some issues otherwise. But I mainly wanted to check for people who had already jumped ship from Nod, possibly because of the Exchange, v3 bloat or update server issues & to check whether Kaspersky has had anything of the same.

I already know that Nod & Kaspersky appear to be on a par with detection, but I'm hoping that Kaspersky may be a better more open company to deal with.

4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I tried most of the antiviruses for a while before chosing one. NOD32 was one of them. I removed because it failed to detect some threats, lacked a self protection, lacked a behaviour blocker and often failed to removed threats found.

I would totally go for KIS 2009. Try it for a while, and if you feel good with it, use it.

5. Biscuit

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit that I'd prefer just an AV product (KAV?), I don't need a suite. Out of interest, how much memory does KIS use?

6. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Yeah I'm just used to say KIS instead of kav. Anyway, normally memory usage is about 30-40MB.

Now It's scanning a large file(800MB) so the memory usage is a bit higher.

1.JPG

7. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

We're trying the Enterprise suite right now as I have an Exchange renewal coming up (currently using something else) as well as being interested in switching desktop/server vendors.

I have the Exchange product on a pair of Exchange 2003 SP2 servers, one front end, one back end though the back end is a small box with around 30 mailboxes in it as, being honest, I didn't want to install it on our main mailbox server until I was sure it appeared stable at a basic level.

So far so good. It doesn't have the feature set of a lot of Exchange products i.e. it won't block by attachment type or allow different policies on inbound and outbound mail, which may or may not be an issue, but it does appear to do what you'd hope for which is sit there quietly and catch viruses as/when they come in.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Never seen any issues with stability - I run vanilla XP Pro systems. The only issue that I've experienced in a handful of years is an infrequent update glitch that effectively kills the update process and requires either a simple system restart (the typical solution and I wouldn't have noticed at all except the system was up for a very extended time) or a manual file deletion (I believe this was required only once).
    I have run KAV WKS 6 alongside Prevx in the past and didn't see issues. It's not something that I'd routinely recommend. Didn't see significant added system drain from having both.
    I really don't see a difference. I have systems that run KIS, others run KAV.

Blue

9. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Biscuit, learn to think for yourself. Come to your own conclusions. Be a leader of your life, don't follow everything other people tell you to do.

Having said that, no problems on Vista. No compatibility issues for me. Try it for yourself. Come to your own conclusions. Try the trial version.

10. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Trying something and it really working are two different things. Some people (including myself) don't have a test-bed of virii to check a product against, so wondering what the experiences have been of others here is natural.

Asking questions on performance of a product shouldn't be a chore, or a reason to give someone grief. If its come to the point where questions are answered with abuse... Then Wilders is probably due for a replacement (I don't think its the case of course, but I think some of the responses to this person are very unfair).

11. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I respectfully disagree. Because its good to encourage the op to do his own due-diligence as a lot of these issues are relative.

12. BlueZannetti

While true, perhaps it is broached with language a tad better than a dismissive "learn to think for yourself".

The original questions were cleanly phased and directed towards specific product traits. I'd hazard a guess that the OP can already think for him/her self just fine and as part of that exercise is soliciting outside perspective.

Let's focus on the technical and leave the personally directed comments by the wayside. Thanks in advance.

Blue

13. Biscuit

Thanks for your reply.

30-40mb seems pretty big to me. Do you mean that it was taking that much memory when idle, or when scanning a file?

14. Biscuit

Very interesting, thanks.

Did you need to enter a bunch of exclusions in the Exchange product? I tend to deal with SBS, so usually have ISA & SQL running on the same box as Exchange.

15. Biscuit

Thanks

You wouldn't recommend running 2 security packages, or not an AV with Prevx?

My question regarding KAV/KIS was that I have previously found integrated suites to be bloated & more of a marketing check-box exercise than providing the best security.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  16. Biscuit

Thanks everyone for your replies. Feedback from users is very important to the testing process. What ever product I chose to use myself, I will also use for customer systems & I want only the very best. Whatever testing I do myself, I cannot cover every possible system use & configuration, so it's a useful part of the process to look at the experiences of other users.

Just blindly pounding away by myself, re-inventing the wheel & ignoring the wealth of knowledge & experience on Wilders wouldn't make much sense to me.

17. Biscuit

Just a quick question after checking the Kaspersky forum.

Does there seem to be a higher than usual amount of False Positives with KAV?

18. BlueZannetti

Not necessarily. I prefer to go minimal. Layering is good, piling on is bad, and sometimes it is difficult to see when you're doing the latter.

In this specific case it's more a general unease of using multiple products that all heavily hook into the SSDT. If everything is handled well, it should not be problem. If not, system stability can be an issue. As I noted, it's more a general unease than specific complaint in this case.

Blue

19. BlueZannetti

No. I've not seen that in multiple years using the product.

Blue

20. Biscuit

Thanks, noted & understood. I like the idea of a signature based product along with Prevx.

21. Biscuit

Thanks, that's good to know.

22. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

As for memory usage, lower is not necessarily better. A well-programmed application uses the memory for a smoother, lighter experienced. Unused memory is worthless - you paid for your memory, so why would you not want to use it, and today, 30-40 MB out of 1 GB or more is... nothing. I'd rather have a well-performing application that uses 100 MB than an application that uses 10 MB but does not load anything into memory, thereby looking leaner but actually and probably feeling more sluggish.

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Not true my current AV use's 6-10 megs of ram.. there is no sluggishness there is no problem with boot times or any other slowdown. it runs as light if not lighter then Eset did when I used it. Kaspersky is a awesome product but it was not for me. it don't play friendly with my computer. as for wanting to keep my memory as low as possible, I play games they chew memory like no tomorrow and the more that is available to the game the faster it responds to what I want it to do. 30-40 megs may not seem like alot but when I can find something that does the same thing and use's a bit less memory its a win win for me =D

24. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

Sorry when I say the Exchange product I mean the store level exchange-aware product so there's nothing to exclude from that.

If/when we were to install the file server product we'd have to exclude the \exchsrvr folders on the relevant drives - I've not read Kaspersky's notes but it seems standard unless you want to risk something pretty bad happening.

FWIW I agree with you and I'm a little nonplussed by some of the "decide for yourself" comments.

I'm in a very similar position and whilst I'm not a sheep and wouldn't take a single "It's great" or "It sucks" as indicative of anything, but if I thought "It's great" and 99 people told me "It sucks" that tells me perhaps I need to be listening to them.

25. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Exactly! I thought the question list was very to-the-point by the OP, and its not like seeking opinion is so new here :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.