About Behaviour blocker?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are there more apps than the 2 popular ones threatfire and mamutu out there free or paid to evaluate?stand alone Behabiour blockers?thanks in advance;)

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Re: About Behabiour blocker?

Prevx Edge. It uses very advanced Heuristic detection methods. I have been very pleased with prevx products, and they run great with almost any security product.

3. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

About Behabiour blocker?
    it's behaviour

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Give Prevx Edge a go. Fantastic program and support is A+.

:thumb: x 10

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I failed to mention Zemana antilogger earlier. Its also an excellent behavioral blocker. Its known for its ability to block key loggers, screen logger, clip loggers, web loggers.. lol any kind of logger you want to throw at it. It appears to be capable of blocking any category of malware in the wild. I've been giving it a test run, and i really like what i see so far. It uses white listing from their own database as well so you want get a bunch of false positives like some products. I hope Zemana keeps up the good work. Just read about it on their website http://www.zemana.com/list/list.aspx

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

you could give DriveSentry a go, its my fav, except for the bugs it has.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

woooo there is plenty out there i didnt know;)

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Drive Sentry
    Mamutu
    Norton Antibot
    Prevx Edge
    Sana Security Safe Connect
    Threatfire
    Zemana

IMO the best of the bunch is Drive Sentry,Mamutu,prevx Edge,Zemana.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey john with your own experience which one will play nicer with defencewall zemana?mamutu?or edge?which one will you recomend?

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is WinPatrol a behabiour blocker?

11. Dark Shadow

I have not tested mamutu with DW but Zemana runs great with DW and compliment each other nicely.For Keyloggers protection IMHO Zemana is cream of the crop as far as behavior blocker goes.What Zemana is not a scanner per say nor a cleaner or community base.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  12. Dark Shadow

winpatrol monitors changes and uses heuristics So IMO I consider it a behavior base or a very light hips,Of course many will disagree with the hips part.Windows Defender in advanced spy net many consider that to be a hips.Winpatrol does about the same and more.IMO at minimum Winpatrol is a behavior blocker or should say monitor.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks buddy for explanation:thumb:

14. Dark Shadow

your very welcome.

15. firzen771

Ive used mamutu with defencewall and it worked fine, not sure about prevx edge though

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

which one is a closer to a good and strong bb drivesentry,prevx or winpatrol plus?thanks

17. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

WinPatrol is a poller. Even in the PLUS version, simply the polling interval is set at zero. But it doesn't use hooks. I usually can install Comodo, reboot and only after reboot Winpatrol Plus signals a new startup entry (a bit too late). It also has no serious ability to analyze behaviour. Behaviour analysis, is supposed to be able to merge info from various sources , so to generate an alert. Do a simple 1+1 = 2. Winpatrol can't do that. It is simply programmed to poll and thus monitor certain locations for changes. If it finds a change, you are asked to approve. That's it. It monitors your hosts file, startup, services, hidden processes, file associations, etc and alerts you. I don't consider this behaviour analysis. But i wouldn't bet anything serious that it could fend a trojan. I see it more as an alerter with probably use against spyware. You can see it here against real malware. At least in one case, judging from Twister's alert, registry modification is included. But WinPatrol doesn't see that either. Apparently it was a registry key that isn't monitoring.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6J34qMtlZQ

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  18. Fuzzfas

Definetely not Winpatrol plus. DriveSentry and PrevX are of similar concept and in an another level compared to Winpatrol Plus. I 'd say run both and see which suits you best. PrevX is probably better in behaviour analysis. But Drive Sentry has a free version and the paid version has lifetime license...

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Winpatrol is very nice to get a picture of the changes made by software installations like autoruns, new services, extensions etc.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool thanks and also thanks about the winpatrol explanation:thumb:

21. firzen771

IMO, i find DriveSentry to be a stronger BB, it protects folders that u can specify and auto monitors changes in system critical folders like a normal HIPS would and alerts u if something is changed there, plus it offer behavior blocking, that way it doesnt overload u with popups, it also has a large whitelist and blacklist as well to limit notifications.

Prevx Edge might be more versatile though since it has BB, and typical signaturs, although if u want u can run DS with its BB + its AV, i prefer not to as it sometimes conflicts with other AV's but Prevx Signatures dont.

22. Fuzzfas

Winpatrol is cute and i have bought the plus version. But, IMHO, for someone with your setup, it's redundant. Nothing Malware Defender can't do. I myself don't run it, because Twister's FDD is much better and i also run RegProt that intervenes immediately for startup keys (faster than Winpatrol Plus). For me, Winpatrol is getting obsolete and more cpu-hungry as time passes. I saw the new features of the current beta and there is nothing of substantial improvement. If i were the author, i would turn it into a Mamutu-like behaviour blocker, if i could. Or at least make it a bit more robust. Some alerts come too late.
    Plus, the last time i ran the 2008.15 (?) version, it was eating as much cpu time as Threatfire almost. So, why not run TF instead, which is much better... I mean, it won't tell you like TF "malware!". It will tell you that this changed , keep the change or not? So, a bit like classical hips, only much weaker. That's why i don't run it anymore.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

manny thanks and yes i noticed the delay of pop ups also

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will give both a try again and see the difference i will let you know thanks:thumb:

25. firzen771

np, 1 thing i will say is, prevx edge is probably a bit lighter and user friendly. but i didnt notice much performance impact with DS (while using the little patch provided in the Katie DriveSentry thread)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.