Aaaa, nothing like a conspiracy theory!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So most, if not all of the major security players have gone to and/or are pushing their suites. Lately, I've noticed that when you start a version install, there are prompts not just recommending disabling other apps, but uninstalling them. So your firewall is company A, anti-virus Co B, anti-spy Co C and your hips Co D. But you had to uninstall the firewall, the anit-spy and the hips to upgrade the anti-virus. But now you go to reinstall the firewall and that Co tells you to uninstall any other security programs! Get my drift? So if you want/think you need firewall, anti-v, anti-s and hips, you need company A, B, C or Ds suite because of compatibility issues. I actually couldn't install the latest NOD32 v3.0.657 because something has locked a file. It's an upgrade to fix some minor bugs that don't concern me, so I decided not to jump through the hoops of uninstalling anything, as the install prompt warned to do. But maybe the next upgrade may have some features I want. Anyway, that's my conspiracy theory, suites or bust!

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Software companies main aim is to have a user use ALL of their associated suite of programs. Every program has its set of memory locations and installed routines and settings. When you have other programs from other verndors also installed, there is always a chance for conflict because each software vendor codes in a different way and has no idea what the other programs' memory resident routines consist of or are residing in core. They want to monopolize your machine the same way that the MS operating system is doing (or any other OS system program for that matter). :isay:

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I think its to ensure that their products will run smoothly, avoid POSSIBLE conflicts with other products.
    Of course I think they milk the situation to make the most of making sure competing products are not installed (rather than identifying if there will be a real conflict).

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm always relieved, when a new recovery/security software likes my total system and seems to do its job.

Recovery softwares are the easy ones, because they don't have to struggle with other softwares to do their job, except ISR-softwares have sometimes a problem with certain softwares, but that happens seldom.

Security softwares are the real pain, they have more conflicts than any other group of softwares and me as a less-knowledgeable user has to find out why they don't like eachother, hopeless.

Most recent problem : AE doesn't like PC Tools Firewall Plus. I can't ditch AE, so I have to find another firewall, because there are more firewalls, than simple anti-executable softwares.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.