A2 PERSONAL

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by OPTIMIZER, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

Goodday,
    I am thinking of buying a backup AT and I must be honest: A2 Personal does get my attention. I already have TDS- Kaspersky-PG-WG
    After reading some posts I see all posts are rather dated 'bout A2. I don't mean anything by this but I need some updated news. Is it a stayer, or should I stay with the one's I have kav,tds-3
    I need an extra I think but I am affraid of overkill.
    Can you PLEASE advise?? Would enormally appr.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi OPTIMIZER,

I use the free version as a backup. At current, I consider it a beta product, a product still in the works.

My biggest concern at the moment is the update frequency. There has only been 3 updates in the last month and all 3 updates only added 5 signatures. This tells me that the database is seriously lacking.

For this reason, I would not purchase the product myself until I saw where it was going and if I thought it was going to stay around. I would have to see a period of consistent updates for malware that was emerging in the wild for a period of time before I would even consider purchasing it. I will admit at one time tho I was seriously considering it, but not at the present.

HTH.... and of course this is MHO....

Regards,
    Kent

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Sorry to jump in here but you could use ewido as a back up AT. It at least updates more than A2. Sorry no disrespect to Andreas.

4. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

in the words of public enemy

DONT BELIVE THE HYPE

your pc will be screaming 911 is joke in your town lol run run alway

5. dragonbreath

dragonbreath Guest

Like A2 stinks man. It won't find a thing on my computer man. Like If you want a backup anti-trojan man try http://www.trojanscan.com now that's groovy man!

6. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

Thanks for your quick reply. It's a pitty tho, but I have seen a couple threads ago that the only one at the moment who can stand after TDS-3 is Trojanhunter. It would be a better solution (i think)
    Thanks a lot.

7. dragonbreath

dragonbreath Guest

Like i just wanna apologize to Andreas Haak for saying your product aint good man, in case you read this man. Your a truly righteous dude man. A2 is a groovy product man. Like i think i lost too many brain cells or something man.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

You have already two of the best anti trojans with TDS3 and Kav ( even though Kav is an anti virus its still up there as an anti trojan) . You would have to be surfing in some seriously bad tides to be in need of another I would have thought .

9. 4A6F4A6F

4A6F4A6F Registered Member

ehm i hope you don´t mean the signature quality. Both use not really strong sigs., so an attacker can sometimes patch a malware in a few minutes only by using a hex editor, ok one can also use an pe packer to make a malware for the filescan 'undetect', cause these two scanners have not a real unpacking engine. TrojanHunter, if i´m right, can only unpack UPX compressed pe files, but maybe not all, and TDS just use an old UPX version to unpack upx compressed files.
    The a² scanner use at the moment also weak signatures (but i don´t know that this will be maybe changed in the upcoming new version), simple fingerprints of a section inside a pe file, so also here it is very easy to make atrojan or whatever for this a² 'undetect'.
    i recommend to use an combination of an good av scanner, like KAV, NOD, etc and the ewido suite, at the moment it looks like that these ewido team has really good technologiess, also in their freeversion and i think they also use better signatures..but who know.

10. "...but who know"

ewido knows.

(i have already informed them about my concerns and hope that the forthcoming pro version will implement some changes...)

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

And that's the way it is.

The title of the original thread should be: "Can overkill hurt?":rolleyes:

Ciao,

Smokey

12. yukon98

yukon98 Registered Member

I looked at trojanscan and it was last updated 12/10/03. That seems kinda out dated.

13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have TDS on my main computer but tried a2 on my laptop as I used the original Anti-Trojan before it became a2. I have been following this post and note that it is a beta type program and also know I have only had the updates when I installed it! I am considering an AT for my laptop and wondered if it is worthwhile keeping the personal version of a2 or look towards Trojan Hunter or Remover whichever one is the best next to TDS which is the best. My main PC is used the most online therefore there was no question with TDS on it but I am not sure my laptop would cope with TDS itself o_O I would need one which is light on resources considering it is my laptop.

I agree about the online trojan scanner not very up to date with their signatures :rolleyes:

14. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Again no disrespect to Andreas and team. a2 personal hasn't been up dated in a few weeks either. I would go for a program that gets atleast 1 update a week but that's me. I'm sure that a2 will start getting updates soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.