A Suggestion

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Blackspear, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The only thing I like about a couple of other AV products I have used, is that when you perform a scan, they then list viruses detected at the end of the scan, from which you can perform various actions - clean/delete/qaurantine.

With Nod, you have to watch the scan and click on an option if a virus is detected. With my scan taking just over 32 minutes, that's a long time waiting to potentially click on something (I know this is not the case if you set up Nod to do it automatically) :D

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

In the current release version, just right-click in the log window to clean a specific item.

In the beta, there is an option to clean in the right-click menu, however, it doesn't work.

As far as I know, this feature will be (working) in the new version too.

Best regards,
    Anders
    EuroSecure

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What if you don't want to clean them? At least, in the new version they go automatically into quarantine and then you can see them there and decide if you want to do anything. But I too, think that NOD should list all of them at end of each scan. It is a real pain to have to scroll back over the entire list of scanned files to find a red (or blue one for that matter). I miss a lot of them that way. I don't want anything done automatically actually. I had to set the new version to send them automatically to quarantine so I could see the list! What I prefer, is what some other AV's do, list them at the end of the on demand scan and then ask me what I want to do. Do I want to put them in quarantine? Clean them? Delete them? etc.

4. marti

marti Registered Member

You guys must have your beta NOD set up very differently than mine. I get a list at the end of a scan. EICER is always there, and it's been flagging some innocent zipped files (they are shown in blue).

5. Blackspear

Hi Marti, so how do you have you beta setup so that it lists at the end of a scan? Mine displays "x viruses found" & "x viruses active" at the end of the scan, but does NOT list the individual files and give me choices. So as Mele20 says, to go back through (in my case) 143,991 files looking for "Red" highlights is not an option, it is a pain in the neck, and too easy to miss o_O

Cheers.

6. marti

marti Registered Member

This is from a log, but is also what I see on my screen at the end of a scan.

NOD32 version 1.343 (2003010:cool:
    Command line: /local /quit-
    Checking CRC of the NOD32.EXE file: status OK
    Scanning operating memory...
    Operating memory is OK.
    date: 8.1.2003 time: 15:48:13
    Scanned disks, directories and files: C:; D:; E:
    C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP - error opening (file is locked) [4]
    D:\My Documents\Misc Programs\Winzip81_SP1_110502\winzip81\SETUP.WZ » ZIP » WINZIP32.EX_ - error - file is password protected
    E:\eicar.com - Eicar test file
    number of scanned files: 54686
    number of found viruses: 1
    time of termination: 15:54:48 total scanning time: 395 sec (00:06:35)
    Notes:
    [4] The file can not be open. It is used exclusively by another application.

I have the NOD component set to notify only. That is, under the "actions log" the only item enabled is "notify/offer action."

I may have other settings that would affect the display at the end of the scan, but I don't know what they are.

7. Blackspear

Hi Marti, yours is NO different to mine, it does NOT list the individual files at the end of the scan, it only lists a summary.

Cheers :D

8. marti

marti Registered Member

I misunderstood your comment. What do you want listed?

9. Blackspear

Hey Marti,

Every single virus detected at the END of the scan.

Then I want the option to: clean or delete or quarantine.

At the moment it pops up and tells you as each virus is found, and gives you the options to clean/delete or quarantine (if you haven't set NOD up to do this automatically), that is if you haven't fallen asleep while it scans ;)

10. marti

marti Registered Member

I don't get any popups during the scan. I'll put a live virus on my system and see what happens.

11. marti

marti Registered Member

I loaded a live virus and ran a scan. No popups. Just a list at the end of the scan similar to what I posted above.

12. Blackspear

Hi Marti, did you click on "Clean" rather than "Scan" to run the manual scan?

13. marti

marti Registered Member

To run a full scan (all partitions) I click on the control panel, then NOD, then local.

We have a big problem with this beta. I went back to the directory where I had placed the live virus. It set the scanner off, of course, but I don't like the message that was in the warning box:

AMON cannot clean this infiltration. Please, use NOD32 program for Windows NT/2000/XP platform. Event occured during the attempt to access file.

Hello "Mr AMON" I can't run that version of NOD32 on a Windows 98SE system. :D

14. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

There are two (major) ways to clean stuff via NOD32 scanner.

Either by clicking the button "Clean" to scan. Then it will take whatever action is specified in the "action" tab.

Or you can click the button "Scan" which will only report the files infected. You can then right-click in the log to clean a specific item. It will then also take whatever action is specified in the "action" tab.

The right-clicking is apparently not working in the Beta, however, it is working in the release version, and I assume it will work the same in this new version.

Best regards,
    Anders

Attached Files:

15. Blackspear

Thanks for the pic Anders.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How are you guys looking at those logso_O I can't look at the logs. When I go to the logs, for the On Demand scanner, I see a list of the scans run. I highlight one, then doubleclick on it, as the help file says to do, and NOD Control Center hangs! The only way out is to c/a/d and that, after about 5 minutes, closes the Control Center!! I have to go restart the entire application. The first time this happened, I didn't notice that the Control Center was not running because the icon does not disappear from the sys tray for about 5 minutes and I thought I was just closing the hanging. I didn't realize this would close the application without one peep from AMON!!! That's scary!!

Of course, I had no choice as NOD does not respond when commanded to open a particular log. It hangs instead.
    So this doesn't happen to you guyso_O

17. Blackspear

Nope :D But I'm running the ever stable XP-Pro SP1 :D

18. marti

marti Registered Member

Mele,

I can log at the logs in Windows Explorer (Win98SE). The log I pasted a portion of above, is located at C:\Program Files\ESETbeta\nod32.log. (your directory location will probably be different)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.