A state agency asks users to send payment info by email or fax?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by acr1965, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm needing a report sent to me by a state agency and understand there is an associated fee. When I ask how to make payment I am informed the policy is for me to send my debit or credit card info by fax or email and my card would be charged. Once the payment is made the report will be faxed to me.

My question is whether this is a safe way to make payment? I have read in the past that fax machines keep scans in their history and email accounts can be hacked.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

acr1965, review Do fax machines keep a copy of the original transmission?

If your Fax machine doesn't have a hard drive, that could be the best option. Email is out of the question, yet perhaps if this state agency has a local facility near you, going there, and making the transaction in person is the most secure IMO.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I went in person to a local office and wrote a check. I'm assuming the main state office fax machines have hard drives as they are surely some of the larger faxes that handle dozens, or hundreds, of faxes per day. Thanks for the link.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

acr1965, you're welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.