A simple question...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by curious george, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious george

curious george Registered Member

Along with nod32 antivirus and a pretty damn good firewall, what else can i do to better protect my computer? I already have hijackthis and ccleaner. Im looking for more tools to better protect myself against the annoying spywares.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, agree with WSFuser, a good alternate browser (Opera, Firefox, K-Meleon) is the first step, then possibly a HIPS or behavior blocker type app. That would be my choice anyway....

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

You'll see most users here at wilders go for a "layered approach"
    that means adding different layers of protection, or in plain english, different security programs wich are each one good at their own domain.
    for example, a good antivirus, an antispyware, an anti-trojan, a firewall and so on.

A good choice is to use a secure web browser, like opera or firefox. You can add extensions to firefox wich enhance security, like noscript and adblock...

Se my signature too see my setup (wich is similar to various wilders forum members)

Also you could/should consider data backup or disk cloning, so if your defences are defeated, you can easily go back to a clean disk.

greetings

5. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Try ThreatFire.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I agree with HURST that the layered approach is the way to go and also a good backup software is wise to have.(has saved myself many times)
    As for witch ones for your setup i'd suggest searching/reading some of the many threads here at Wilders.This THREAD is a good place to start.
    There are many members here that are always willing to help and answer your questions here. By the way (a belated) welcome to Wilders.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Pretty damn good firewall....

What is ito_O

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Running your browser through Sandboxie will contain any exploits, including zero day, to the confines of the sandbox.

Returnil is another fine and strong app which is free and unbreakable atm.

Lean, mean and clean.;)

9. curious george

Someone asked what firewall i was using...im using outpost pro...i know some users prefer zonealarm, but i simply cannot stand it. Outpost has never failed me and it has some awsome ratings too. I just installed Returnil and i was wondering if this is like a "back up" program. So after every session it deletes everything that was not in the "system restore" thing? confused kinda sorta...mind helping a bit on the uses of Returnil

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  10. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

They're damn right about using a 'layered' protection tactics... Curious_George.

And after all were said and done with, please don't forget to wear your final layer of KEVLAR too. ;)

Coz who knows, if your 'layered' protections was ever breached and your rig got blown up... you got yourself protected with your KEVLAR. :D

*hmm, wondering if ...we need to have immunized shots too??

11. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

I personally find said thread, the dumbest thread in the whole forum. It's basically a "come and see how layered I am" boasting thread plus "what is the favour of the month" thread.

12. LoneWolf

That's nice Lusher......Then don't go there....

I've never used Returnil myself but as I understand it, as long as you have the protection on you just reboot to restore. Sorta like not even have been on the pc. For that sort of thing I use Rollback myself,it's just a little differant. But basicly doing the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  13. curious george

yea i was doodling with it. its pretty awesome...

Currently i have:
    Nod32
    Outpost Pro
    Returnil
    Hijack this
    CCleaner
    Spyware Blaster

Im pretty set except one thing. I need an anti spyware and i dont like lavasoft. Any suggestions on some really good ones? I wouldn't mind ones that are for purchase.

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have to agree with Franklin. Run you browser through Sandboxie or a different sandbox and when you are going to unsafe places on the web, turn on Returnils protection. Sandboxie is sorta like Returnil, except that you only need to empty the sandboxes contents instead of having to reboot. GESwall and Defensewall are 2 other slightly different sandboxes.

There are plenty of free and good on demand anti-spyware scanners available. AVG anti-spware, A-squared and SuperAntiSpyware are recommended. Another passive addition would be the MVPS hosts file. Their site has excellent instructions.

I'm not familiar with NOD32 other than it is well received. You might look into how well it covers anti-spywares and go from there. If you feel you need an anti-spyware, the ones I mentioned above have paid versions. Only you can decide what you need and what you feel comfortable with.

15. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I use a-squared on demand, in adition to SAS... be aware that a-squared false-positive some nod32 files...at least on my system

16. LoneWolf

SuperAntiSpyware,AVG AntiSpyware,BOClean,any one of these would be good. Maybe CounterSpy,havent tried that one in a while but have read good things about it in this forum.
    You may want to consider a HIPS. HIPS are not for everyone but do add some good protection IMO.
    Personily i'm using GeSWall right now and liking this one. :thumb:
    A very "Quiet" policy based hips.
    Now if I could just figure out how to make the wife policy based. :D

17. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

How about Defensewall?:thumb: I have been using Outpost 4.0 too and there are no conflicts between them.

Frank

18. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

Neither of those programs are protecting you from anything. The first is actually only a diagnostic tool, and then producing a report that is only properly read by a malware expert.
    The second is useful in keeping your system well-maintained but rarely, if ever, doing anything more.

NOD32 is excellent, and a genuinely good Firewall used correctly together make a very good defence. The rest is really about not surfing dangerous sites; not opening phishing or spam emails, and not using Internet Explorer 6 or 7.
    A HIPs program like Prevx 2 would be a genuinely constructive addition (I suppose Threatfire is an alternative but personally I prefer Prevx) and Comodo BO Clean would be my only other suggestion.

In the end, a good correctly used Firewall and correct PC usage and surfing behaviour (alongside a safer web browser like Firefox), and applying Windows OS critical updates, are at least 95% more important than *any* other piece of Security software on a Windows system.

19. curious george

I know ccleaner doens't exactly stop spyware and junk, but sometimes they ARE stored in your temp files and reinstall from there...but yes i have nod32 and outpost pro. i just installed Returnil and im looking for an antispyware could be considered the best.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If it helps, i second the suggestions in favor of both Sandboxie & Returnil, two (Sandbox + Virtualizer) that i routinely use now alongside EQSecure 3.4 (HIPS) or SystemSafetyMonitor (my personal favs atm)

I also highly depend on NOD32 for virus detections/clean-ups when needed On-Demand Only here.

21. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

There are several good ones out there. Like others have already said, Superantispyware, AVG antisyware and A-squared are good options.

I would also look into Defensewall. It is a excellent program. There are others aswell like Geswall, Sandboxie. Try them and see which one suites you.

22. curious george

The thing is, im trying to make m computer impenetrable i think i spelled it right lol. but im soon getting a top notch router and buying another antispyware. In other words, im pretty sure there is no way i could get hacked. But if i buy my antispyware, i want it to be THE BEST.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use AVG AS, and Superantispyware with one real time and the other on demand. I also have BOClean running real time. Between those and NOD32, nothing has ever gotten through. I just installed Returnil and tried it out. Great software.:)

24. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

1. That is virtually impossible to guarantee on any Windows machine, and in any case Internet use is critical whatever security software you have

2. Because spyware is written, on a daily basis, more than viruses by a factor of about 100 there is no 'best' anti-spyware product that works with definitions (you need to scan with at least 3 different AS programs) so you have to look at 'behavioural' protection, and understand what it means. And in terms of spyware - more than viruses - *what* you do on the internet and exactly *how* disciplined and careful you are with emails, and updating your Operating System, is much more critical than *any* anti-spyware program.

25. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Try Online Armor. It's a good firewall and HIPS all in one.

GesWall free is a good choice as a browser sandbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.