A program to scan and fix the registry?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by notageek, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subratam

subratam Registered Member

this installing and uninstalling of programs is an old way to make ur own system crash and go haywire if not handled appropriately... and me for example had undergone this too...
    i recommend u shud always uninstalling any program after stopping it frm running, then thru the uninstall shield that came with the program and its safe to keep any shared dlls watsoever unless u r totally sure about a certain dll that was used solely by the program itself
    hey u can try scannow technique thru start-> run keeping the XP CD in.. it will chk for any missin or corrupted file in ur system and repair or reinstall the same from the XP CD... the actual comman i am not totally sure mayb some of the gurus over here may help u in that matter
    good luck

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Thanks bro. I'll check it out and see if it helps. I would of thought that after I reinstalled windows it would of fixed the problem but not always I guess.

3. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

How about another Restore Point?

4. notageek

I restore from all my restore points and nothing helped. I Have no restore points any more I reinstalled windows. I might have to give up and have a bad add/remove tool.

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:D Interesting! The one day I go freeware shopping, I found a few useful Registry apps. Try here:

Registry Tools at Pricelessware

Check out their homepage. They have some mighty fine apps. Hope this is of some help to you. :)

6. Prince_Serendip

7. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Registry fix :) I can't see that helping you at this point..you have reinstalled window the OS nothing wrong with the regisrty...but when all those thrid party programs were installed they did have an entry that would then allow them be be displayed in your add/remove. I doubt they are even there now..so you would have to reproduce them by reinstalling that software...that is why i gave you the link to Belarc Advisor...that way you do know all that is install and you do have links to all the folders via that Advisor.

With that you can see them..and uninstall any with their own uninstaller...or go to the vendors site to find out all the precautions you must take before you attempt any.

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Notageek,

If I understood you right:

in reply 7 you wrote you scanned with SpyBot;
    in reply 13 you wrote that SpyBot is not in your Add/remove.

So: you DO can run SpyBot, but it does NOT show up in Add/Remove.
    Right?

Question:
    Is that also true for all the other programs not showing up in Add/Remove?
    Meaning: you CAN run them, but they do NOT show up in Add/Remove?

Now, I don't know what happened on your system.
    1- it could have been caused by your un-installing of ZA;
    2- it could have been caused by something your wife did;
    3- anyother reason......

Let's assume that you un-installed ZA in the way you should do it.
    You have to talk with your wife ;)
    I know very well that it is sometimes completely impossibly to remember exactly what you were doing on a PC (we ALL fell sometimes victim for this; at least I myself recently did :oops: ). So, please (!!!!), don't blame your wife in case she can't tell you it.
    eh, we don't know.......

BUT, and here comes a big IF:

IF the only problem is that "some" programs are not showing up in Add/Remove, than you could make the related reg-keys (needed for them to show up there) by yourself.
    Of course I know that this might be a lot of work..... :rolleyes:
    I gave you an example for WinZip on a Windows 98 system.
    I would strongly advice you to wait to do it this way until someone with knowledge about the XP-registry confirms this.

IF this was and is the only problem, you might not have solved what was the reason for it, but at least you could repair it.

But, as I wrote, there was a huge IF.............

PS:
    Hey Notageek ;) , I hope you don't mind and I sooo much hope you can fix your problem (!!!), but please forgive me when I say: the best thing to fix software-problems is almost always to have a good backup image.....
    (hey Notageek, please don't take this the wrong way !!!
    I do wish that you can fix it !!!)

9. subratam

one thing to ask for myself ... creating software backups means havin the software installations??
    nxt i recently had ZA with me... (alongwith kerio 2X) but gettin advice frm wilders i uninstalled ZA frm my comp and i did thru ZA uninstall shield
    it was a smooth process(it seems till nou :doubt: no probz for me mayb ZA pro is more machine frndly or my comp is well managed ;) ) anyways so i very well think its not for ZA... rest alone the 2 more possiblitiz given by FanJ hmmm.. a computer is a idiot managed by us... and we can make mistakes so i think ur wife if at all made any mistake shudnt take any blame...
    i sincerely think u shud wait until XP- reg guru comes... (fingers crossed) and also u shud consult with some of ur knowledgeable frnd in ur near neighborhood coz its always best in seein "practically"
    good luck again bro

10. Prince_Serendip

:D One more URL!

From Pricelesse Ware again. Look for Add/Remove Pro.

I just love freeware. There's gold in them thar hills, if you know where to look! ;)

11. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

First try this:

Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
    At the prompt, type Regsvr32 Appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.

If no joy, your Appwiz.cpl file could be corrupted in some way.

Go to Start > Run, type sfc /scannow (there's a space following 'sfc'), and hit enter.

Windows will now verify the integrity of the System Files.
    You may need your Windows CD-ROM.

And here's MS KB article:

All Installed Programs May Not Be Displayed in the Add/Remove Programs Tool

Hope it helps!

12. notageek

Prince_Serendip, thanks. I'll take a look.

Promise, I can reinatll everyprogram I have but 1. I can't install IESpell. I didn't look in the IESpell folder yet to see if there's a uninstall file there. I sure hope so.

FanJ, I'm not mad at my wife at all. Like I told her there's a fix or a way around this. Now let me answer your questions.
    Yes I can run all the programs on my computer. Even the one's that aren't in the add/remove.
    I unistalled ZA they way the link told me to do. Another person at another board told me to use the link and uninstall it the way they told me. I did however find another person that had this crazy unistall thing happen to them when they tried to uninstall ZA.
    I talked with my wife and she can't remember what all she did. She said she ran McAfee and messwith some games and went online but she also said she played with other programs she don't remember which ones. So I told her it's cool I'll figure out how to fix it.
    I looked in my uninstall part of my registry and seen that only a few programs are in there.
    WordPerfect2002 is in there and when I went to Add/remove it was there but there was no remove tab. There was one a few days ago before i uninstalled ZA

I'm going to wait til the registry gurus to come and help. I'm not going to mess with the registry yet.

I'm going to look around my computer and see if I do have a backuo image. Thats for the hint FanJ. :)

13. notageek

I did this already.

I also Scanow with Sfc. LOL Didn't work either.

14. subratam

first of all pricelessware is a cool site.. thx prince :D really u can find "diamond" also if u handle the microscope well ;)
    about notageek and his probz.. as i told.. try to contact one of ur frnd in ur vicinity... mayb u can get some help..
    and again i repeat i also uninstalled ZA only yesterday... just thru uninstall option in ZA... nothin happened...
    so.... mayb somethin else...

15. TonyKlein

OK, have a look at the article.

If no joy, we may indeed be looking at some form of registry corruption, in which case a Repair Install might be in order.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Notageek,

Please DO follow Tony's advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're now in the hands of a very nice guy with LOTS of knowledge about the registry !!!!!!!!!

Hey Ton,
    Thanks a lot my friend !!!!!!!!!

17. notageek

Opps sorry Tony. I also did that. I think that was like one of the fisrt thing that a friend of mine told me to go and do.

Subratam, I asked everyone I know (don't know any IT people) and no one knew how to fix it. one person told me to get a Mac. LOL

18. subratam

can Tony or anyone throw some light on regsrv....cpl...
    i ran it ..it said the same .cpl registered :)

19. Primrose

And if couse if you do install that Belarc Advisory..that would be another test for you on your add/remove..since doing that install should have it show up in the add/remove as Belarc Advisor 5.0..if you do not see it there after the install then keep looking..but i think the corruption you have on the previously installed programs is not an easy fix.

20. notageek

LOL I'm afriad it's not an easy fix. I installed and ran that belarc and it should all my programs installed.

21. subratam

want some info ..... :doubt:
    Regsvr32 Appwiz.cpl

22. Primrose

Yes of course it did...since they are installed..but my question is..do you now find in your add/remove that listing for the Belarc Advisor...you should..since it does use the install shield and that will then list it in your add/remove.....now on those other puppies you would also like to be there at this time..I am afraid that record is gone..I do not know how it happened..but can tell you it is my opinion that nothing you can done in the wizzy thing will get them back in there..but you could reinstall each one and then it would show up.

Also in that belarc advisor..when you use it..you will see a little " *" by each of those third party programs if you click on that it will take you to the folders of that particular application.

23. notageek

Yes BA showed up in my add/remove. But there's no remove tab. Is there one for you?

24. TonyKlein

That's weird, as a repair install ought to rewrite the pertinent registry keys and values.

If I remember well, Mosaic1 and myself once came across an identical case at another board, but I don't seem to remember how that was solved (although I believe it was) :rolleyes:

I'll contact her and ask whether she remembers.

25. TonyKlein

How do you mean exactly ? All the Regsvr32 command does is register the file. When you do that, it should give you something like 'Registerserver in Appwiz.cpl succeeded'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.