A pain in the butt!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by djmorgan, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I have lived through 3 updates of ESS now and whilst I appreciate an evolving package WHY won't it install like other applications.

Firstly running the installer I am advised somebody else is using a log file in the My Documents folder, the only way to continue with the install is to stop ekrn, then the install continues however on a reboot, no matter how many times nor how many times it's manually turned on, Real time file protection won't stick.

Result is to completely uninstall but even then I must go to componant services and manually disable eset services to then turn off ekrn again.

Then I have to reset all my parrameters again.

Is it just ME! or is something wrong here :cautious:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I don't understand - what log file is locked when you install ESS? Could you post a screesnhot of the message here?

When the program is uninstalled, all components and drivers are removed, hence I don't understand what you have written: "Result is to completely uninstall but even then I must go to componant services and manually disable eset services to then turn off ekrn again."

3. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Sorry the file that is seen as being used by others is epfwlog.dat

When I uninstall eset I reboot, have the last 4 or 5 times anyway! after the reboot eset services is still present as seen in componant services, indicating that the uninstall is not removing registry entries, and as a result of that ekrn.exe is also running, making it impossible to install the update until you disable eset services and terminate ekrn.exe.

Now the above is not a fluke it has happened on every update since ess was released, I can make it all happen again as I am getting quite proficient at doing what I have to..

Luv the program by the way :) hate the installer!

XP Pro SP2

4. como

como Registered Member

This happened to me also when trying to install build 642 over the top of build 621 yesterday, only in my case the file is located in “Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/ESET/ESSET Smart Security/Logs/epfwlog.dat”

I cancelled out of the installation and tried to remove ESS through the control panel, this resulted in the same message that another program was using the above file the un installation aborted. After reading some of the threads on I tried the various suggestion of deleting a catch file and using Windows Clean Up, using Windows Clean Up caused a Blue Screen. After rebooting ESS showed a red icon in the system tray and could not be configured.

After stopping all the services I could find I manually deleted all ESET folders and reinstalled build 642 and reconfigured it. Today when booting my computer the red icon was back and I had to do a repair install before the Real Time Protection could be turned on.

5. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

had same issue, but already had "unlocker" installed, so didnt think anything of it;)

6. kenw

kenw Registered Member

Same thing here when trying to update. Had to uninstall, which caused problems. Almost an hour to update !!

7. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Same here. What a pain!! I had to stop the process ekrnl.exe before it would install and then boot twice before I could get it to work.

This is not the first time that this has happened to me doing an update.

8. como

como Registered Member

It shouldn't be necessary to use any other program to update.

9. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

sure.. but running anything on windows as an OS, expect certain problems ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.