"A disk read error occured" on new drive after clone (TI Home)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jpeasy, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpeasy

jpeasy Registered Member

I used True Image Home to clone from a 160GB notebook drive (Western Digital) to a 320GB notebook drive (WD as well) on my Lenovo Thinkpad T60 laptop. I did a manual clone. The source drive (160GB) had 2 partitions:

1. Main partition with Windows, programs + data
    2. Lenovo Recovery partition

I manually adjusted the second partition so it didn't grow proportionally. I didn't want the recovery partition to take any more space than necessary

After the clone finished, I switched to the new drive and tried to boot up. I got the following:

A disk read error occured.​
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart​

Interestingly, I was able to boot the restore partition on the new drive - it appears that was cloned correctly. However, the main partition seems unbootable.

I've run BIOS and Western Digital diagnostics against the new drive and they all report no problems.

Why is this not working? I thought this would be an easy process.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Your problems seems to relate the brand of computer and its hard drive geometry. There has been several postings on this type issue.

Suggest you redo the cloning but perform what is referred to as "a reverse clone." That is

1. Install the blank original in the boot position.
    2. Move the original into an alternate position.
    3. Boot from the TI Home Rescue CD (or usb-stick, etc) and perform the clone.

My guide to Manual Cloning using the TI Rescue CD.

How To Delete Disk Partitions Using TrueImage Home
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213446

How To Create a TrueImageHome Rescue CD
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jpeasy,

As workaround try to repair MBR. Download special Acronis utility from this link . Use it to create a floppy and boot the machine from the floppy.

If you prefer to a fix MBR using a CD, then please download special Acronis utility from here. Use it to create a CD and boot the machine from the CD.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.