A different Error message

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by seattletwodogs, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seattletwodogs

seattletwodogs Registered Member

After several installations and failed attempts to open after Dell hard drive replacement, I'm requesting assistance. Have used this for years with no problem.

Message is: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

It is not listed in Process Explorer applications whereas everything else is.

I've got it listed in Location C:\ Program Files\SpywareBlaster\spywareblaster.exe when I check "Start"- "All Programs".

Thank you in advance to all who take the time to read and respond.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

If you browse directly to the folder in which you installed SpywareBlaster (by default, this would be "C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster"), do you see a "spywareblaster.exe"? If you double-click on it, do you receive the same error message?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. seattletwodogs

When I browse to the folder "C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster" I see a list of 3 items: "sbautoupdate," "spywareblaster," and "unins000." The pointer over spywareblaster indicates 1.27 MB.

When I highlight "spywareblaster" and click on "open" the "Run" window shows "C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster\spywareblaster.exe." When I click 'OK" I get the same error message. Please note that I was able to get to this point slowly as using "Browse" is new to me.

I hope this information is useful in your assisting me.further. Thanks for your efforts.

4. seattletwodogs

I have run Revo Unstaller and installed SpywareBlaster several times and it works as long as I don't close the application or shut off the computer.

Each time I closed the SpywareBlaster application I could not reopen it. ( Received the same "Windows cannnot access" message.)

The closest I've come to being able to use the program is if I download SpywareBlaster installer to desktop, run Revo Uninstaller and then install SpywareBlaster each time I reboot. Obviously this is cumbersome and time consuming.

Any idea why it would work in the way I've described and not in the correct way and what I might do to remedy the situation?

Thanks for your help.

5. javacool

Hi,

This is certainly a very interesting problem - it's very curious that it would work the first time but not any subsequent times.

A few additional questions:

What version of Windows are you running?

What security/privacy software are you running? (i.e. anti-virus, firewall, other anti-spyware, cleaning tools, etc.)

Finally, if you try temporarily disabling any other "resident" (always-running) security software, does the message change or go away? It really sounds like something else is "hanging up" on the SpywareBlaster executable - potentially locking it and preventing it from being launched.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

6. seattletwodogs

Thank you for your reply. I have Windows XP Home, Avast 4.8 Home Edition, Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.25.378, Spyware Terminator 2.2.1.433, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.26.0.1000, CCleaner 2.18.878, Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.5, Auslogics Registry Defrag 5.1.

When I uninstall and reinstall SpywareBlaster and minimize the screen, I get the message that "You don't have to keep SB running to be protected against Spyware(etc.). You can close the program and your system will be secure." Does this mean that SB will still work, even if I can't "Open" it or see it running on Task Manager or Process Explorer.

Re temporarily disabling any other "resident" security software, would you now advise me to turn off all the applications I mentioned above and see if another SpywareBlaster uninstall/reinstall will permit opening without receiving the Windows Error Message?

Thanks for trying to help.

7. javacool

Thanks for the information - I've provided the ones I'd recommended focusing on below.

If you've enabled protection, you can close the program. SpywareBlaster's protection will still remain in place. :)

However, updating that protection or tweaking it would require you to be able to open the program, so it's unfortunately not a solution for the problem you're experiencing.

Yes, however I'd recommend focusing on disabling three of the applications you listed first: Avast, Comodo Firewall Pro, and Spyware Terminator.

Particularly in regard to Comodo Firewall - I believe that's an older version, and a significant number of bugs have been fixed in newer releases. Given its fairly deep integration with the operating system, I'd recommend seeing if a newer version helps.

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. seattletwodogs

Success!

Comodo was the culprit, as you suggested. However, it was an even older version(2.4.18.184) which has worked just fine with SpywareBlaster on my old laptop that solved the problem. The new Comodo(3.8.65951.477) wouldn't install and I located my old reliable version on FileHippo.com.

SpywareBlaster opened several times with several reboots before I wrote this note.

Thank you, javacool, for your time and most helpful input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.