A basic newbie question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by john777, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john777

john777 Registered Member

Hi
    Just want to make sure I do the right thing!
    Have True Image 8.0 & have installed on system & updated online.
    I want to make a full copy of entire operating system as a backup against drive failure.
    I have a seperate stand alone hard drive that can be linked by USB 2.0, it shows up as drive F.

1. Do I use image or Clone function ?

2. My drive shows up as DISK1 with one section NFTS C:, will that be everyhting to copy?

3. If I select it I get to screen where it asks for a file name to copy to, what do I type in there?

Apologies if I.m missing obvious but I don't want to mess up

Thanks in anticipation of advice

Rgds
    o_O

2. Hannes

Hannes Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  3. john777

Thanks
    However, still a bit confused

the answer to my 2nd point:

2) Backup Drive 1 Which includes the entire partition Because if you choose only The C: NTFS It will not include The MBR And Your Activation Data For Windows XP Which I Found Out Many Months Ago

I get a screen listing a checked box against Disk 1
    then on a 2nd level a checked box against NTFS (C:) Pri Acct NTFS
    Is that going to copy everything including MBR & activation data ?

Also, for point 3, when I click on icon on right it doesn't create a filename!
    Still not sure what to type in here?

I also get a drop down menu with the options of Image archive C*,tib
    or All files (*), which do I select ?

I purchased this software because I was told is was simple to use, you could have fooled me !

Thanks for advice

John

4. john777

Oh well

I guess I'll chuck it in the bin then ! :mad:

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Checking the “Disk1” will select all the partitions on a disk and the MBR. If you had more than 1 partition, they would appear in the section along with the “C”. If you had a “D” partition, for example, you could check only that partition to image.
    Name the image whatever you want – something clever like “Clone of C Drive”.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello john777,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I recommend you to create image of your hard drive to the external drive. The important point here is to make one image of the entire drive. That's the only way to be sure that you will have a bootable drive after you restore it. Only when you image the entire drive (all partitions in one image) is the MBR included in the image. Please note that all Acronis True Image archives have a “.tib” extension.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

In computer speak, what you think of as your 'C' drive is your 1st partition, if this is the only drive letter that shows up in Windows (not including your CD/DVD etc) then this will include the MBR. Only if you have split your drive into C: D: or more partitions will you need to worry about the MBR

Yes.

Type any name you fancy (honestly!) mine are named 'laptop_set_1_08_10_05 ' the tib extension will be automatically added.

The tib one - the other just lets you see all the files you may have on your drive.

Umm - not too sure what I can say here --- :eek: I know, pay my airfare from Oz to your country and I'll help you personally :D

Colin

Oops just realised you're in my country, but I'd still need the airfare to Torquay, which would be quite nice, even though I'm from Kent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.