9776 Updates Breaks Windows XP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by catman915, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catman915

catman915 Registered Member

I have been using Ver 9707 in XP32 Pro SP3 for some time with no problems. I checked for updates and downloaded the 9796 upgrade and installed it. When I installed it and rebooted, Windows would not boot up, it went to just before the cursor shows and hangs. I had to restore a backup of my system to fix it. I did this twice with the same results. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have XPsp3 and 9796. I don't think your problem is TI specifically, but in combination with something else has caused a registry upset.

If you boot into Windows Safe Mode you will be able to uninstall TI.

I suspect it may have not put the correct entries into either registry or snapman.sys is corrupted. This could be a faulty install or some other program prevented the installer from working.

Make sure your Firewall isn't blocking TI - even though you've successfully used the previous version.

3. catman915

Thanks for the response. I tried to uninstall from Safe but it wouldn't let me. I finally restored a backup and uninstalled TI, then installed 9776 and the results were the same. I even redownloaded the file and tried it again with the same results. Also my firewall(comodo) allowed access to Net?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello catman915,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Home 2009!

Please follow the instructions from our Public Knowledge Base article:
    1727: Acronis Clean Up Utility
    in order to manually uninstall all the traces of the previous build.

After that please install the new build.
    If this solution doesn't help please contact Acronis support and send us the serial number in question and the issue description.

Thank you.
    Daniel Pustovoy

5. Hopie

Hopie Registered Member

here the same problem. previous version no problem, after update to 9776 stops XP the boot at Windows progress bar

6. catman915

The first fix from Support was to repair the MBR but since Windows starts to load I don't think that is relevant. I have been hesitant to use the Cleanup Utility as suggested above. The old version works fine and sometimes it seems like more trouble than it is worth. This all started because I got a Vantec MX external housing and with the old version Recovery disk it wouldn't load if the Vantec was powered up when booting. The new Recovery image (9796) they sent me corrected that so I decided to update. Too bad the new program version won't install.

7. catman915

Daniel

I followed your suggestion and used "Acronis Cleanup Utility" it removed successfully. I installed version 9796 as before and got the same result. Windows starts to load but after the Windows Intro Window it stops and freezes up. I then have to restore my backup to get back to normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.