8 / Slow Internet OR System.exe constant CPU?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by philby, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello All

I have a 2 year old Samsung Q330 notebook onto which I clean installed 8. I immediately noticed my d/l speed dropped from 15Mbps to 0.3Mbps, using the generic network driver for the Broadcom WLAN adaptor that came with 8.

As there are currently no 8 drivers from Samsung for my model, I tried installing the 7 driver. As it wouldn't install normally, I installed it in compatibility mode for 7.

Now all is well and I'm back to 15Mbps.

However, with this driver installed, System.exe is constantly running at 6-8% CPU. Once I disable the adaptor, CPU switches to normal. Re-enabling it brings back the constant 6-8% usage.

If I roll back to the MS driver, System.exe is quiet again but I'm back to 0.3Mbps!

I have 2 questions:

1. Presumably I'm out of luck here until Samsung release 8 drivers for my model. I don't know if this is even likely...?

2. Does having System.exe running constantly at 6-8% matter in hardware terms? I'm not used to just leaving a Windows service banging its head against a window like a fly... My notebook is nearly always on and WLAN connected (processor is a little 2Gen. i3@ 2.27GHz).

As an aside, this must be a royal PITA for home users who've upgraded and are clueless about what's happened to their internet connection...

Thanks

philby

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

1. Fingers crossed they will release
    2. I don't think it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.