64 bit

Discussion in 'hardware' started by tradetime, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Given that just about every processor on the market today is a 64bit processor, how come 64bit OS is still the black sheep of the family? I thought 64bit was going to be one of the advancements in computing. What went wrong? Anybody have any ideas, without getting too technical?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Microsoft needs to release a 64-bit only OS and developers need to release more 64-bit software.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You've had 64-bit Solaris since 1992. And Linux distros and applications are available in a dazzling range both for 32-bit and 64-bit processors. I've been running 64-bit Linux since 2005. No lack of programs there...
    Mrk

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Going against my recent comments i actually just made the switch to 64bit a couple of days ago. I've been getting into memory intensive activities on my computer so i wanted to be able to make full use of my 4gigs of ram. I couldn't get hold of xp 64bit so i've gone with vista ultimate 64bit.
    Its early days yet but so far it hasn't been too bad, most of the programs that i regularly use work fine, for others i do have to find alternatives. When it comes to security software however, it does seem to be slim pickings. Overall its been a fun learning experience so far.

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Thanks for the responses, I was just curious as to date 64 bit seems to be a bit of a white elephant. I wonder will it actually catch on or just fade away into the mists of time.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Using XP64 bit on both my PCs for the last two years, both are quad cores now, one Phenom and one Quad Core Intel. All x32 apps run fine, x64 apps run excellent. So far no compatibility problem encountered.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Won't fade away because eventually 4 gigs of ram just won't be enough. It is a chicken and egg problem. Developers wont make 64bit software until consumers demand it. Consumers won't demend 64bit unless there is more 64bit software....that is until they need to address more ram!

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I can't see the average user needing more than 3gigs anywhere in the near future. Unless the next version of windows is 64bit only i'd say x64 support will lag behind for some time to come.

9. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer on Vista (Quad Core) renders pages much faster, especially with all the scripts and flash stuff on some websites today. It makes browsing on my lean fast XP machine seem ponderous... unless I'm using something like K-Meleon with Adblock Plus.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2008
  10. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have been running x64 for one week now. For lack of a better word, it feels more "solid" and faster than x86. Years ago when XPx64 came out, my sysadmin got a dual processor motherboard and was trying to install this on it. He had a heck of a time finding drivers and getting some of the software he used to run on it. He finally gave up after not finding 64 drivers for his TV card. This was at the back of my mind when I went to install Vistax64.

It turned out to be mostly painless. After the install Vista's Problem Reports and Solutions reported that it did not have drivers for my Intel ICH9, X-Fi, and Motorola modem but supplied links to these drivers. This is a lot better experience than what my sysadmin went through, lol.

The only cons were that the Paragon Drive Backup Personal is not 64 compatible (the Pro version is however). Also in OneCare my printer sharing is not automatically set up anymore because of the difference of my two computers--one x64, one x86. But all in all I am happy with it, especially gaining the 800MB RAM my x86 couldn't use.

Dogbiscuit, how are you getting Flash to work in IE7 64? Adobe's website says it only works on 32 bit browsers.

11. midway40

This was reported earlier this month so maybe the 64 movement is finally underway.

Besides, running 64 bit is a real babe magnet (see pic on link page :D )

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

True, Vista was supposed to be 64-bit only, but to increase sales, 32-bit was released and so will be Windows 7. :(

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  13. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Thanks for pointing that out. That's wrong. No Flash in 64-bit IE.

14. midway40

Darn it, I thought you had figured out a way to get it to run in 64 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.