5 Alternative Search Engines That Respect Your Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Thanks. Blekko is new to me.

Here are a couple of others that weren't mentioned in the article:

Privatelee
    Yippy

:thumb:

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Ever since I made the switch to DuckDuckGo, I don't care to use any other search engine. If you never used it before, I highly recommend on checking it out.

4. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Can't, it's called DuckDuckGo :argh:

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

DuckDuckGo is my home page <3

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

HaHaHa!!!!!!! :D

7. java dude

java dude Registered Member

I think I'm going to give DuckDuckGo a try. It's so simple and clean, it reminds me of Google in 1998. :p

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Casperface,

PrivateLee is very good, I use it on occasion. It's actually a re-branded version of qrobe if anybody has used that. I think they're both still owned by qrobe.it

Like you, Casper, Blekky is new to me as well.

I worry about this space (the whole no logging search thing) getting crowded with operators who only claim privacy is a priority. The fact is, unless you know a little behind the people that run them (like we did with Scroogle and a couple of others) - we really don't know anything beyond what somebody writes on their web page.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I use Ixquick the majority of the time. I recently found out about DuckDuckGo here at Wilders so i'm starting to use them as well. I created a folder labeled Search Engines on my Bookmarks toolbar so I can instantly switch back, and forth between search engines with just a click. I use Privacy friendly first, and then go to google, Bing etc.. if I can't find what i'm looking for.

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I've been using DDG for a long time though I do occasionally have to go to Google to get the results I want.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Worth quoting.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've never had to do that. DDG uses Google search results anyway.

13. Daveski17

And you think that I'm paranoid ... ;) o_O

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. guest

guest Guest

15. Daveski17

My bad, I must be thinking of Start Page or Qrobe. It kinda makes sense for DDG not to use the Borg now that I think about it. I must say that I am still quite impressed with Qrobe though. I'm trying so many these days I must be getting them confused LOL.

16. guest

guest Guest

I prefer to be slightly unsure how the data will be used (unknown search engine that claims to protect my privacy) rather than be sure that the data can be used even more badly than already stated officially (historic of fired/unfired bad employees from Google spying unauthorized data).

OTOH, Bing isn't unknown and Microsoft doesn't have such historic. I'm more comfortable using it.

But this doesn't mean that I use Bing as my primary search engine. lol

17. lotuseclat79

Here is a convenient way to include new Search Engine plugins in your Firefox Browser which is the easiest way to switch between search engines in a new browser tab:

1. The first thing to do is to include the MyCroft Project Search engine into your Firefox search engines:
    a. Paste the following link into Firefox after copying it, or just click on it: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=mycroft project
    b. Click on the MyCroft Project plugin link to add it as a Search engine to Firefox

2. Set the MyCroft Project plugin to your Firefox search engine window (upper right-hand corner)

3. Clear the Firefox search window, create a new tab, and enter the name of any new Search engine, e.g. Blekko, and search for it at the MyCroft Project website.

4. When the MyCroft Project web page search results appear, e.g. for the Blekko search engine plugin, then do the same as you did in step 1a. above to set up Blekko's search engine plugin in your set of Firefox search engines.

I have at last count, 55 search engines of various kinds in my Firefox search engine set.

-- Tom

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I wonder which one's more secure as in private browsing- duck duck go or startpage.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How do I include a search engine like Duck Duck Go or Startpage in the search bar of my Firefox?

Should I use a add-on like Add to Search Bar 2.0

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  21. Daveski17

Yes, I use that. That Dr Evil bloke is brilliant. Once you have the search plug-in of any browser you can run searches with it from the run bar as default. Although you have to go into about:config & type browser.search.defaultenginename in the filter, then change 'Google' to whatever you want to replace it with in the dialogue box.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I thought using only that add-on should do the trick. But now it seems complicated with all tha about:config & type stuff.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

And......?

24. Daveski17

Oh sorry mate. It is very simple to use Dr Evil's excellent extension. What I was trying to say (rather poorly) was that I had discovered a way of making any search engine you like to be the default (ie run in the URL bar) once you had the plug-in. Mozilla don't like you to be able to change to anything else easily (possibly due to the fact that they get a lot of wonga (££$$) from Google. Oddly, it is quite easy to change the default engine in Google Chrome (& also in SeaMonkey).

I'm sorry for the confusion. In my defence, I tend to drink powerful real ales towards the end of the week.

I particularly recommend you use Add to Search Bar with Context Search 0.4.6

25. lotuseclat79

Hi ams963,

See post #17 above.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.