3party system restore program that triggers with software innstallation?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mango, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mango

mango Registered Member

i was wondering if there was a good rollback\restore program that triggers when a new program gets installed.

similare to ms system restore, but more reliable.

i have a laptop that im planning to be of "public use" on my home network.

mainly some friends etc.

Personally i have used acronis trueimage to make an image after a complete reinstall, updates and all my essential programs.

And then used nero backitup to save the essential folders etc onto dvd\ext hd once a week.

last week i uninstalled acronis to try out RestoreIT, i like the hidden partition. And the safetynet that it boots before windows and you can choose a restore point if winxp fails. Very handy on my laptop, where the acronis boot cd and images arnt always available.

I know it can be set to create restorepoint each boot, or a set intervall. But it doesnt do it after a program install.

Ive tried GoBack, and im not touching that again. Acronis\Ghost is useless for incremental backup on a laptop if you dont have dvds or ext hd available to load of the images that are almost the same size as a full backup.

Ive read about firstdefense, but that one also require large space.

Shadowuser etc isnt really what im looking for, restoring the pc to the same state each time, or after some time.

in short what im looking for is a program like RestoreIt, but that tracks when a software is installed and creates a restorepoint.

##############################EDIT################################################

Well, RestoreIt was almost my best bet. I had only one question left. If i restore to an incremental point 2 days ago, will i loose the files etc created during that time?

Answer: Yes... so it seems Restoreit isnt foolproof, if i save some documents etc on my desktop, they are lost if i restore 2 days back. So now i wonder about this program..yes i have My documents folder on another partition on the laptop, but loosing files\etc saved on c:\ is a ig minus.

So restoreit doesnt do what ms rerstore does, leave newly created files alone.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  2. NexusHelm

NexusHelm Registered Member

I'd like to ask the same question. I currently use Acronis TrueImage to make an incremental backup every two days. It does a great job, I like it, but I'm more after something along the lines of System Restore that can track application installations and allow me to revert if needed.

MS System Restore is great, I love it, but it's just lacking a few features to make it my full time solution, and sometimes if I install an application - for example - uninstall it a week later, and go for a restore point maybe 4 days previos, the application I installed won't return properly but nor will the uninstall file.

Norton GoBack is good, but I don't need it to track versions of my data files either. I'd just use backup software for such things.

In short, I'd love to see a program like MS System Restore, only with more power. Any suggestions?

3. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.