3 Days for high priorty, normal compression backup?!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stew7711, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stew7711

stew7711 Registered Member

Just wondering if I'm missing something here. I loaded ATI9 and tried to backup my music folder to a 4.7GB, single layer DVD-RW. I selected normal compression and high priority. I set it going and left the computer to do something else. I came back to see it hadn't got very far, looked at the time remaining and it said 18hours! Left it going, came back a few hours later, time remaining 2 days! A few hours later (approx 15hours total time by this stage), it was 14% complete with 3 days to run. At this point I stopped it. Obviously this is not a viable option. Any suggestions as to why such a slow rate? The computer is quite fast, synctoy backed up the ENTIRE my docs folder (which includes this music folder) to a USB external HD much faster (it was a while ago as I just "echo" it now, but it wouldn't have been more than an hour or two from memory)

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Two things to consider:
    1). Backing up to optical media is excruciatingly slow using TI.
    2). You would not gain any more space by compressing music files so you might as well burn the music files as data to the dvd disc.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Obviously, TI doesn't support your burner adequately. For anything other than music or JPEG files, I'd suggest making the backup to a hard disk and then using your burner software to burn the disks.

However, for mp3 and JPEG files which are already compressed, there's not much reason to use TrueImage as Ralphie pointed out. The total .tib size might even be larger than the sum of the individual files. Just use your burner to copy the files to optical media. That way, you can read them on any computer without additional software.

4. stew7711

Thanks guys. Have gone the backup to HD then drag and drop to DVD route for files, and just copied the music files. Incidentally, I initially tried to create a tib file of the music files on the HD and chose the DVD split size option... Trying to burn the full size split crashed the system every time. The remnant split (about 3.7GB) transferred across no worries... Thanks for your replies

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

How is your HD that you are creating the backup image on formatted? FAT32 only supports a maximum file size of 4GB.

6. stew7711

Hi John. It's in NTFS format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.