2302 Less seems reliable for me than 2289

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shieber, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I mad a boot CD and used it to restore some files to a nonsystem drive as a test. Most of the files came out okay but many are unreadable or corrupt. I tried the same restore with the windows version of the prog and didn't appear to have any probs.

As for the bad files, I ended up having to reformat the drive they were on.

I tried this again after reformatting the drive and the restore prog from within Win XP gave me a good restore but when I restored files from the Boot CD, many files were "unreadable or corrupted" and I had to reformat the drive to clean up the mess.

I don't really have time to keeping testing TI and seeing if the build will provide me a restore if I ever really need it.

There is something about the Linux version of the restore program that isn't ready-for-prime-time.

I'm back to version 8.0 build 937.

sh

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shieber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create the sysinfo.txt file with the latest build (2302) (please see Acronis Help Post for the instructions) and send it to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread? This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. shieber

Can't make a sysinfotxt file for you because I can only sometimes get the kernel prompt with the F11 key and when I click OK, I don't get a # prompt ever. Instead the program just continues to show the graphic interface and allows me the regular restore choices of restore or continue to boot to windows.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Can you clarify as to whether you made a full image of a partition or made a file backup of a partition to use for the restore tests.

Now that TI9 does both image and file backups, this can be confusing when files or folders are restored.

5. shieber

I tried this on a second computer and all the results are the same.

I have lots of full partition images that I made with with various builds of version 9. It doesn't matter which image I use -- results are the same.

If I do a restore of selected files from one of the images to a new location by using the Boot CD, some of the files are corrupt, ureadable, undeleteable, noncorrectable and the disk needs to be reformated.

FWIW. There is this diff when using the inside windows restore program and using the Boot CD. When I restore from within windows to a directory called, say, TEMPO, the files are put under TEMPO in subdirectory that the restore creates called "C". When using the Boot CD, the subdirectory C is not created and the restored directories and files go directly under TEMPO.

I can't get the F11 thing to work while booting either -- and I tried that on both machines -- remove "quiet", click ok and wait for # prompt but no prompt comes.

Doing a full restore of an entire partition image, rather than just selected file, appears to work okay from the boot CD

6. shieber

Just to be clear, I'm talking about having full partition images; restores of selected files from such an image, using the Boot CD, is the problem.

I haven't even tried doing a selected files backup and then try to restore with the Boot CD.

7. Acronis Support

Hello shieber,

Could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the 'Save' option in the 'File' menu (or 'Action' menu under Windows 2000), enter the 'File name' and set the field 'Save as type' to 'System Information File (*.NFO)';
    - Send the result file to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. shieber

It's sent.

9. Acronis Support

Hello shieber,

If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply. I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. shieber

I have been contacted, thanks. We're still trying to figure out how to get a sysinfo output into a file after booting from the CD.

sh

11. nurquhar

nurquhar Registered Member

What if you use Bart PE boot CD and Acronis TI8. You may also be able to put sysinfo prog onto the BArt PE Boot CD.

Just a thought

Neil

12. shieber

I think they want to get the sys info when booting from the linux on the TI9 CD. I've already provided the sysinfo booting from outside the TI9 CD.

13. shieber

The problem is that when doing selected restore of files from a full image, some of the restored files are unreadable. The problem happens with build 2289 and 2302 it turns out.

At Acronis's request I did a screen dump from sysinfo and photographed all the screens and uploading them to Acronis. After which they sent me this message:

"I`ve discussed this problem with our development team. It seems that it is a
    hardware problem of the WD800JB drive and we cannot fix it in Acronis True Image software."

The drive they are referring to is an 80GB Westerm Digital IDE hard drive. Nothing extraordinary about it

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=32

Also note that I have the very same problem with TI9 on another computer with another common brand of IDE harddrive.

These drives work perfectly fine in every respect except for this file restore function of TI9. Somehow I doubt that the problem is the different drives and not TI9. In any event, Acrdonis seems to be saying, in essence, that the main advantage of TI9 over TI8 doesn't work with many very conventional harddrives and they can't do anything about it. UGH!

14. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Have you considered discussing this response with Western Digital?

15. shieber

No. I have this problem on the several diff harddrives on doff brands of PCs that I've tried it on so I doubt that it's a drive problem and not a TI9 problem. Also, I'vet spent lots of my time trying to help Acronis find out why TI9 doesn't work. I've tried to help, but there's a limit to how much I can give, especially when I think Acronis is wrong -- when I don not have good reason to believe that there is any wrong with the drives.

16. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Welcome to the club! ... as the saying goes. When I tried build 2302, the very first feature I tried was the Clone. In less than five minutes of installing the software and then running the clone feature I noticed that the green bars representing the progress of the cloning, did not appear. Now, tell me, how come the official beta testers did not find that. [Rhetorical].

17. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

What's extraordinary is the above quote if in fact they are saying it's a design issue with the drive. I just don't believe that could be the case!

Are you sure that they don't mean that the problem is with the specific disk drive you have. That is, the disk is failing and you need to discuss replacement (under warranty?) with WD.
    Have you checked the drive with WD Diagnostics?
    What happens if you use TI8 build 937 instead?

18. Acronis Support

Hello shieber,

I'm really sorry for your inconvenience.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which can be found in the subject of the letters that you received from Acronis Support (e.g. [Acronis #123456])? I will review the correspondence and find out what more can be done regarding this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

19. shieber

The drive is fine. I've told them already that the problem happens on diff PCs and with diff drives. The odds that all the drives have the same defect is very unlikely. If they meant that the problem is only the particular drive in my machine, then either they haven't been reading the background info on the case -- which is very disappointing -- or they planned on impugning the quality of each drive one by one.

20. shieber

It's Acronis #392088. When I reminded them that precisely the same problem happens with diff PCs and drive, they said they'd ask the techs to take another look at the problem.

Has anyone else tried restoring selected directories from a full image and found that all the files are/are not accessible?

Make a full disk image using TI9. Boot with TI9 CD and select restore files; select a directory such and Documents and Settings; Select new location for target location, restore the files. Try to access (read or delete) each file.

sh

21. Acronis Support

Hello Scott,

I understand why you are upset. However, I'm afraid that in order to proceed with the investigation of this issue we need that sysinfo.txt from at leat one more coputer where the same problem appears. Moreover, it is preferable for this computer to have a non-WD hard drive installed.

It will not take much time. You just need to boot any other PC where the same problem occurs (as I understoond, you have quite a few of them) and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt file) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Could you please also clarify what exactly do you mean by "unreadable or corrupted" files? How did you figure out that some files are corrupted? What exact files are usually get corrupted? Please provide a step-by-step description of all your actions.

Please send the collected sysinfo.txt along with the answers to the above questions and the link to this thread to support@acronis.com (as a reply to your Acronis request #39208:cool:. We will certainly do our best in order to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

22. shieber

In fact it will take much time because the procedure you describe doesn't work on either of these computers -- the sysinfo dump file is not accessible after being written, even though even though in that case we're talking about writing to a floppy drdive and not a Western Digital harddrive. The sysinfo problem I described in my chain of emails with the support. So I would have to do a sysinfo screen dump, then page through as many screens as are saved in the vid memory and digitally photograph them one by one, then sysinfo again to try to get the other pages, using scroll lock to keep the early pages from being pushed out of memory, and digitally photograph those and then upload all those files, which takes quite a while.

How do I know that some of the restored files are corrupt? Because you can't access them with any program -- the program will say it cannot find the file--and you cannot delete them because Windows Explorer insists that it cannot find the file. Somehow a directory entry is being made but all the info for accessing the file is not there. Chdks finds not errors on the drive. Since they can't be deleted, one has to format the disk to "remove" them. This problem happens on a Abit AA8 mobo, Abit VT7 mobo, and and IBM model ThinkCentre M51 8143-39U.

Btw, I get the feeling no one is reading all of the emails because what I say in one seems to escape notice by whoever replies to the next in the chain. Because everything I've said here I've said before more than once.

sh

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  23. Chutsman

I decided to check this out - restoring individual files from a complete backup ... I get an error that the archive is corrupt. Next I tried it from within windows and get the same error. Yet when I check the archive from the main TI menu the archive checks out okay. Just to be sure I restored the entire archive and got a perfectly good bootable hard drive.

24. shieber

Re: 2302 Less seems reliable for me than 937

My disk image backup successfully veries in TI9. And I have no problem doing a full image restore. The problem is restoring "specified files or folders" from an entrie disk image.

The prob you describe sounds a bit diff, when you try to restore "specifed" files, then TI9 tells you the image is no good? My TI9 doesn't complain that the image is no good, it "restores" without reporting any errors but some of the files are no good.

Anyone else actually test this function to see if it works on their system?

25. Chutsman

Re: 2302 Less seems reliable for me than 937

Agreed, it is slightly different to what you have ... just another quirk in the software. BTW, afterwards I even tried restoring an individual file to "another location" and the process failed with the same error - corrupt archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.