2007 - XP v Linux v Vista ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NGRhodes, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Im going to have to upgrade my hardware to run Vista (866mhz 512 mb ram), which I don't feel I should have to do as XP runs great.

I've always beeen a fan of Linux, with open office maturing to the point where it opens 90% of my MS office docs fine, I feel its usable, I already run Mozilla which is the main use of my laptop (Websurfing and excel/word), which means I Linux forfills all my desktop needs.

But then XP runs flawlessly, I only ran it from SP2, does everything I need, performs well, should I change for the sake of changing, or wait until XP becomes un supported ?

What are you thoughs, is OS X in the running (I have little use of OS X) in your choice ?

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Well, i think that if you want to change, you have to change for a good reason(s)
    If, as you stated, XP is stable for you and performing well, then there is no reason to dump it.There will be support for it after vista is released, and you don't have to upgrade your PC.(money in the bank :) )
    On the other hand;you could try a linux-distro, it won't hurt to try something new.The way to go is to get a live-CD and try it out for a while, then you can see for yourself if it's something for you or not.
    I personally have a dual-boot set-up with Ubuntu-linux on this computer and i like it, but that's me you have to make up your own mind .

regards
    Lamehand

3. NGRhodes

I used to use slackware for a server years ago (quake server hehe) and currently have shell access to my friends webserver running caos with apache/mysql/php which I use for my website, so do get my regular linux kick.

Have you thought about Vista, we are only about to upgrade to XP from 2K at work this year !

4. Lamehand

Yes, i've thought about vista and have come to the conclusion that, for various reasons, i am not going to install that one, I don't see any advantage over XP in it and i would have to upgrade my hardware while in fact there is no need for it.

regards
    Lamehand

5. bktII

bktII Registered Member

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i agree with lamehand. stay with WinXP for a while and if u must switch, they better be good reasons.

as for OSX, it will mean having to replace ur computer anyways. in addition, im kinda biased against using apple's proprietary hardware. not to mention only their top of the line comps seem attractive (to me at least)

7. Lamehand

I thought i've read somewhere in a article (quit a while ago) that support for XP would be extended for two years after the release date of Vista.So that would be till 2009.
    But don't hold your breath on this statement, because, as i said, it was quit some time ago i've read this.(things do have a nasty tendency to change)

Lamehand

8. NGRhodes

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2006
  9. WSFuser

btw for winxp home there is no extended support.

10. Lamehand

I went to that page and got 'currently not available'.
    I was looking for the difference between 'mainstream' and 'extended' support.
    Anybody knows what's the difference? I think mainstream is free and extended would be paid for?

Lamehand

11. WSFuser

click here to see teh differences. its not just between free and paid services.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi All,

With this machine I will stick with XP. Sometime in 2007 SP3 for XP will be out, & IE7 upgrade. I can wait & let them work out the kinks in Vista. Also, not sure, but is Vista more restrictive regarding digital-rights-mgt?

Taake Care
    rico

13. Lamehand

Thanks for he link WSF, i've read that one. ;)

And yes Rico there will be more DRM in vista, because that's the way they want to protect their content. :rolleyes:

Lamehand

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If I remember correctly, you run an eMule server. You want to go to DRM-enriched Vista?
    Stay with XP as much as you can.
    Furthermore, Linux-wise, you could try a dual-boot system with one of the more popular distros. I run Suse 10.1, without any problems. All the latest hardware detected, everything works smoothly and fast. The distro is 64x and optimized - 10 times faster than Windows.
    Don't abandon XP. It will serve you well at least another 2 years.
    Furthermore, let the new OS simmer at least another 6 months or even a year from the moment it's launched before you opt to buy. You'll have time to get your first impressions, see all the bugs, new features, new annoyances etc. For instance, if you "like" WGA phoning home randomly now, imagine what it will be like with WGA-style kernel in Vista? Plus Intel has already released a new mobo with "special" sockets that will support only OS that they want! Stick with what you got. Or try Suse. Knoppix is also fine.
    Mrk

15. NGRhodes

Yup - I run emule 24/7, but I dont do anything illegal.

Vista - to be honest does'nt offer features that I desire.

Linux - I am going to have a play with Ubuntu (when I get the live cd to work).

I definatly wont be doing a clean switch to Linux, as I still need windows, visual studio to do my work with (but I can use seperate machines).

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't have plans to switch from XP, plus I doubt my system would support Vista anyway, and I don't intend to upgrade the whole system.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

17. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

According to a recent release from Microsoft you will need a machine that is less than six months old,you will require the latest edition hard drives and a minimum of 1Gb Ram (preferably 2Mb).

Add to that the fact that Symantec are attempting to block the release of Vista and the fact that the European Union are looking at preventing Microsoft from releasing Vista at all until they comply with directives from previous hearings ,I would say forget all about Vista.

You have XP running well,Linux is getting better all the time and many of the apps are far superior to those in the Windows environment,so why give yourself a headache with Vista?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.