2 Problems with NOD32 v4 (Systray Icon and WLM Crashing)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Sumanji, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumanji

Sumanji Registered Member

Hey,

I recently upgraded 2 computers to NOD32 v4 and have noticed two quite annoying problems...

1) The system tray icon will randomly become "unresponsive", i.e. double-clicking on it does NOT bring up the GUI. If I want access to the GUI I have to manually navigate to the NOD32 directory and double click egui.exe. System restart does not help - the only way I can solve this problem is to reinstall NOD32!! Several other users I have spoken to have complained about this.

2) Secondly, whenever I open Windows Live Mail, it will crash on startup with the error "This program has stopped responding". I have verified this by rolling back to NOD32 v3, which does NOT cause this error. Definitely v4 at fault here!

Are these known issues, and if so are fixes being worked on?

Thanks,

Suman

2. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

I have been using v4 since it was RC1 and have neither of these problems

Are you sure it's NOD32 v4 causing these errors?

3. e36

e36 Registered Member

Amonst other problems, when I *was* running v4, I also experienced the unresponsive sys tray icon.

Went back to v3 and all is well.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

5. e36

e36 Registered Member

...uninstall using the EAV v3 uninstaller, then installed EAV v4.0.417.

6. evildust

evildust Registered Member

I always had the crash bug with NOD32 4 and Windows Live Mail but it don't crash all the time. If I disable the mail protection in NOD32, no more crash. I have this bug in Windows Vista x64 and now Windows 7 x64 and all the build of NOD32 4.x

7. Sumanji

Hey,

Sorry I haven't posted back, totally forgot about this thread!

The same problems occur on four totally separate systems. Details below:

Main PC: Vista Ultimate x64, v4 upgrade from v3 (as per NOD32 instructions)

Laptop: Vista Business x32, upgraded to v4 as above

Test PC: Windows 7 RC 7100 x64, v4 fresh install

Netbook: Windows 7 RC 7100 x32, v4 fresh install

The problem does NOT occur on my dad's PC, which uses Vista Business x32 and the latest version of NOD32 v3. It did not occur on any of the other systems when using v3.

On a related point, I've noticed the "unresponsive tray icon" ALWAYS occurs when the icon turns red or orange (i.e. when there are problems). At this point I can only access the GUI by manually navigating to the egui.exe file in the install directory.

Please tell me you guys are aware of and/or working on the problem, as it's really annoying!

Cheers,

Su

8. flipsen

flipsen Registered Member

Windows live mail crashing regularly here to...
    Any updates on this?

9. Sumanji

Flipsen,

I solved the problem about a month back - when Live Messenger prompted me to upgrade to the latest version, it also updated WLM. Since then the crashes have been much less frequent. So either the WLM update, or some newer program modules have largely solved that....

The unresponsive program icon is still a problem that ESET don't seem to want to acknowledge though... (I have read of this on several forums).

To recap, whenever the icon turns orange or red (e.g. when it warns you that Windows updates are available, or when you disable AV temporarily) it becomes completely unresponsive, unless you solve the problem and/or restart the PC....

Cheers,

Su

10. flipsen

Thanks for your reply,

I'm already using WLM version 2009 (build 14.0.8089.726), don't think there's a newer version available. Maybe i'll try reinstalling it.

About the program icon... why don't you disable the notifications? And yes, I know it's not a solution :D

11. flipsen

Update: updated both WLM and windows live mail, no result. Still getting the error and the program has to close.

Fault Module Name: eplgOE.dll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.