2 problems about Tiny firewall pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by add2plus, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. add2plus

add2plus Registered Member

hello, everybdoy
    I have got 2 problems about Tiny firewall pro v6.5.126

(1)About Checksum Scanner
    How to use it?
    I start Checksum Scanner, click "scan", but it does nothing.
    why? how to update known apps??

(2) where I could find the Snortimport tool for Snort v2.6
    there is a Snortimport tool in http://www.tinysoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2089&, but I cannot run it, maybe the version is wrong.
    where I could find the Snortimport tool for Snort v2.6??

thanks a lot

2. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Right mouse click on TPF tray icon, and select menu "Update Known Applications" to update known apps. Only when there are changes in checksums of known apps, the scanner would do something.

The Snortimport tool has not been supported by Tiny for a long time because of the copy right isssues with Snort. The available Snortimport tool just could be used with old version of Snort. If you are not using TPF on a server, IDS/IPS is not really that important. I personally disabled IDS/IPS of TPF on my laptop, as it took a lot of resources but did not do really much good for me. Some TPF user has posted their more updated Snort rules at their own website and TPF forum. If you really need it, you can search the Tiny Forum and Snort Forum to find out.

3. add2plus

add2plus Registered Member

yahoo, thank you,:)
    Also about checksum scaner.
    According to what you have written, I really find a application (uknod.exe) that can be updated. I think the reason is that I have moved the uknod.exe (D:\TOOLS\AntiFB\uknod.exe) and its folder, so its path is not the real one (E:\TOOLS\AntiFB\uknod.exe).
    However, after I clicked update, the application uknod.exe disappear from my "All Applications" list. o_O o_O o_O
    why could this happen?

4. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

TPF could not automatically detect the new location of the application after you changed it. TPF still tried to find the application following the recorded old location of the application, it could not find it and so removed it. You need to re-enroll or update the location of the application after you have changed its location.

The scanner can only check the changes of checksums (if applications are updated or infected by virus). It will not search for possible new locations of applications for good reasons (time consuming, files with same name at different locations may be totally different applications).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.