2 NICs on 1 XP Pro PC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

On my laptop I have a built in ethernet port for wired internet, also an add on Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter.When the PC is docked at my desk I would like to use the wired connection. When I roam with it then of course I want it to fall over to the wireless. Is there a way of doing this? Right now I enable\disable the devices as needed. Sure would be nice to have XP know and do it itself.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. ThunderZ

Thank You WSFuser. Knew I had come to the right place. Just D\l`d it and going to give it a try.

4. ThunderZ

Up and running. Installs 2 process`s. NICServ.exe = 4,220 K and Nicswitch.exe = 2,252 K. In the Read Me file it dose stat it is a beta that is supposed to expire September of 06. o_O Dose not seem to really disable either NIC as much as monitor them. When I un-dock the laptop I get the usual Network cable is unplugged warning. Then I attempt to connect to the internet the wireless is automatically used. When I dock the laptop all traffic is auto-routed to the wired NIC. All in all a sweet little app. Time will tell.....Many thanks for pointing this one out. :D :thumb:

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Another way would be to create two hardware profiles, one for docked and one for roaming.
    You select the profile at boot time. No additional software needed. :thumb:

6. ThunderZ

You Sir, are a mind reader. Was just looking for an alternative to NicSwitch. It seems to still have some kinks that need to be worked out. In fairness to the Author, he dose state it is in beta. Guess it is time for me to have a look into hardware profiles. One of those things I knew existed but never had need of. Thanks for the option. Had also read a (very) short article about using NetBeui instead of TCP on one nic.......not to sure of the method\procedure or security ramifications of this one.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm glad to answer the question that you didn't know you would have. ;)

8. ThunderZ

Funny how that works around here sometimes. :rolleyes: :D Many thanks. Off to do a bit of research.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.