2 AV questions I always wanted to ask

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bob, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob

Bob Registered Member

Hi,
    I have 2 AV questions which both have to do with time.
    a) Do you need a easterly virusguard?
    I live in the Netherlands and have an American AV. Can I be flooded with an virus before America is awake and made an anti-dote at least 8 hours later; so do you need in America an European AV?
    b) How is time judged in AV tests. Can you get 100% if your anti-dotes are 1 week later than the outbreak? In real life all the computers are crashed, but in the AV test your perfect.
    Bob

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i'd like to think that av companies never sleep.. well really i know at least 2 av companies that provide updates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week , generally speaking if a virus is found in europe, the av companies will send it over the ocean to their american colleagues, especially if they think it's a high risk virus( for example a mass mailing worm). it depends much on the risk evaluation of the said virus.. a big american company f00ked up lately with a big worm epidemic, issuing update 'too late' because they made a mistake considering the risk factor of said worm..

following this thread you can see how often different companies issue updates: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8399706~root=security,1~mode=flat

i really can't comment on the virus test thing bfore you say which of the tests you're talking about?

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When av alert updates are released, at least with mcafee and trend micro.They are released to all of their update sites simultaniously regardless of your local time. they do work 24/7 and there releases in reality should be available to everyone at the same time. I am sure that most of the av's do it the same way :)

You might be able to get a 100% rating on an av test if your virus-defs were a week behind an outbreak if your particular av program has a very good hueristics detection rate.

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

ad 1.) AV companies share malware saples, they have even automated warning/exchange mailing list dedicated to early detection. Any 1st league antivirus will protect you

ad 2.) There are different AV tests. They mostly used well defined set of viruses (replicating samples) selected for some reason. No av test is specifically focused on time as far as i know....

5. "The future will be better tomorrow." G.W.Bush

This false "quote" was attributed to Dan Quayle, not G.W. Bush :blink:
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/quayle.htm

Just thought it was a good idea to clear up this falsehood. :D :D :D

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Yes you can make out better where you live with a Non Player like we all have over here :D We only dust off the keyboard once a week and clean the screen monthly since time is all relative and that happens when most of you are sleeping. ;)

But if you take a look at that worm called Sober that is floating around where you live and in Germany..I doubt if it will even make it over this way..but I am told you still can not figure out how to stop it. :eek:

SOBER - The real danger comes now

http://www.rokop-security.de/board/index.php?showtopic=1039&st=0&#entry9750

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.