1Router = 2PC (one with suspected virus)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by fce, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

I have wireless router here in my mother's house, I gave one cleaned laptop to my mom and my niece is using my mothers old laptop which i suspected infected with virus. The suspected laptop with virus is connected to the router by wired, the other laptop (clean) is connected wireless.

I'm just curious if the cleaned laptop will be infected if they are using the same router?

the cleaned laptop is protected by KIS, while the suspected "dirty" laptop is protected by unknown AV (it's like the fake AV logo) with Window firewall is OFF.

thanks in advance.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I suggest that you treat the network at your mom's home like a public wifi hot spot, which means no network sharing and firewall configured as directly connected to the internet.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Now that malware is inside the network what is possible?

[1]Man In The Middle[2]Infect the Router
    [3]Brute Force the Router
    • Banker Trojans
    • DNS Changer Trojans
    • Router Malware
    • Install Trojan Router Software (Embedded OS that router uses) that looks legitimate
    [4]Pivot attack other PC's on the network
    • Metasploit

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

aka "Don't trust it". This is my greatest concern, that one of the computers in my house gets a problem and uses the LAN to spread. I have a lot of stuff sharing wise going on in my house, and I don't want to make uber tight settings with firewalls etc for it. Therefore I try my best to ensure nothing gets through in the first place.

Bottom line, it is very hard to trust a local machine on a local network if any virii etc have been found. Already mentioned, act as if it is a public hotspot. Better yet, get rid of the problems and make sure they don't come back. I would reformat and reinstall if that ever happens to me.

Sul.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why take a chance at all? I would definitely reformat and reinstall the infected machine asap, as Sully has suggested. That's the best option IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.