15 Alternative Web Browsers to IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Franklin, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Firefox does me fine and I doubt I will change but I just may give some at the link below a whirl.
    15 web browsers

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Thanks for posting the link, Franklin; that is one thorough, yet concise, list of browsers. :)

I'll probably stick with Firefox as well but I use Opera from time to time and am tempted to try Safari (more or less just to be able to say I gave it a shot).

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Several of them are just IE shells.. Epiphany is only found in Linux. There are more than those listed as well.

I'll stick with IE myself...

4. prius04

Yeah, I guess that's true. But then there are really only 4 engines anyway, right (Trident, Gecko, KHTML, and the one Opera developed?)?

I did notice that Avant was missing and some members of this board seem to like that one.

5. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

More info..

And this..

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. L815

L815 Guest

Maxthon 2 has improved since it's release. But I can't figure out how to hide elements, so I stuck with FF and Opera.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Browse 3D is certainly NOT my choice. :rolleyes:

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Great find :thumb:

Have tried most,but IE was the only one with the INDESPENSIBLE feature-"Create Shortcut"-the FireFox ones dont do this well.
    Now as we speak,am using Apple Safari for Windows -astoundingly fast,but missing add on features.
    It does however have "Save Page".
    Will stick with IE7 and Maxthon .

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Create shortcut where?
    Mrk

10. fce

fce Registered Member

how safe is maxthon compare to FF & ie7?

also how i can transfer my bookmark in FF to Maxthon?

thanks

11. prius04

Not sure whether or not you would consider the following to be definitive but...:

Secunia has issued a total of 0 Secunia advisories in 2003-2008 for Maxthon Browser 2.x. Currently, 0% (0 out of 0) are marked as Unpatched.

Secunia has issued a total of 23 Secunia advisories in 2003-2008 for Mozilla Firefox 2.0.x. Currently, 17% (4 out of 23) are marked as Unpatched with the most severe being rated Less critical

Secunia has issued a total of 27 Secunia advisories in 2003-2008 for Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x. Currently, 37% (10 out of 27) are marked as Unpatched with the most severe being rated Moderately critical

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

IE lets you create a shortcut of the current website and puts it on the desktop.

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I thought that was the purpose of "bookmarks."
    Mrk

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Sometimes the shortcut is more convenient, but the Bookmark bar in FF is convenient enough for me...

15. prius04

I agree; bookmarks in Firefox is fine for my purposes.

Regardless, it's pretty easy to create a desktop shortcut for a site with Firefox (right-click on the bookmarked site, copy, and paste). Of course, the shortcut will open with whatever browser is set as the default browser.

16. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The advisories against Maxthon don't include the ones for the IE shell it runs on.

17. prius04

In that case:

Secunia has issued a total of 13 Secunia advisories in 2003-2008 for Opera 9.x. Currently, 0% (0 out of 13) are marked as Unpatched.

:D

18. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

19. Hairy Coo

Thanks for that solution-still not quite as convenient as the IE method,as Firefox has to be reduced in size to enable dragging to desktop ,but quite acceptable.

Even if Bookmarking and Save Page of websites in Firefox suits some users, for general browsing-these methods are much more cumbersome and awkward for others with more specialized needs.

I treat bookmarks like a filing cabinet-to file (semi)permanent sites.

Other sites which need to be PDF printed for example or have to be worked with or read during the day,or even sorted out-are temporarily put on the desktop as a shortcut-much faster and efficient than the above ways.
    Thats what a desktop is for after all.

Edit; in fact with a right click as you say-"Create deskcut"-no need to drag the toolbar or modify FF size-very good!!

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  20. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You can try Zotero for that purpose.
    Mrk

21. Hairy Coo

Looks rather brilliant but possibly over complex for my purposes-now testing:thumb:

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Basically Maxthon is more secure than IE; and the developers are quite fast at releasing patches to fix security issues - however, it is still prone to vulnerabilities of the Trident rendering engine used in IE. Therefore it is always a good idea to keep IE updated.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera for me since version 2x, for mail, RSS, news and torrent. Can't be beat. For IE shell, Slepinir is excellent as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.