100% CPU usage problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GMul, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMul

GMul Guest

Hi Folks,

Following my second full image backup, each taking about 50 mins to image 39Gb of data, a problem developed.

When I select or schedule full, incremental or differential backups, my CPU usage climbs to 100% from 0-2%. (For info - RAM drops from 250Mb to 180Mb0 and the Page File increases from 250 to 300Mb) . The estimated time for completion for each backup was 5 or 6 hours.

Windows Task Manager was used to measure the data (Ctrl/alt/delete - Performance). Sample size was 15 of which six were measured. These six exhibited no significant difference in the above results. My CPU speed is 2.6 Gigs.

During the backup the computer is unuseable. Graphics are jerky, sound is broken, and in one case , the Eudora email program crashed causing some grief. Not being able to forgo use of the computer for the 5 hours indicated, I have been unable to complete any subsequent backups.

Any suggestions?

Gary

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GMul,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please also check whether the backup process priority is set to Normal. You can find more information on how to change the backup process priority in section 4.3.5 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

If that does not help then please check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run,
    then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Where do you save your image to?

- Set the backup process priority to Low, try to create an image once more and see if the problem still persists. Let us know the result;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. GMul

GMul Guest

This part caused a problem. Following restart after installing the driver, an alert presented: "SnapAPI has encountered a problem and needs to close".

When I tried to load True Image I got: "True Image has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Did a reboot. A similar problem: "oss-reinstall.exe has encountered a problem...".

Now computer would not start.

Had to revert to a Win XP restore point to get computer working.

Have uninstalled True Image, but computer is still running slow.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Gary

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GMul,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please docreate Acronis Report the following?

- Press the Start button, choose Run, type "drwtsn32" and press Enter;

- In the dialog that appears check the Log File and Crash Dump paths, then press the OK button;

- Run Acronis True Image and reproduce the problem;

- Pick up the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log files in the directory specified at step 2;

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot;

Please also create Acronis Report which was mentioned in the previous post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. GMul

GMul Guest

"Could you please docreate Acronis Report the following?"

Thanks for the offer to help. I'm still having computer problems (significant slowdown). However, since True image has been uninstalled, I don't think the problems are True Image related.

Let me get things sorted out at this end, then I will get back to you.

Regards, Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.