10 hours for full restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rootsdigger05, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rootsdigger05

rootsdigger05 Registered Member

I have a WinXP Pro SP2 system. My backups reside on an external USB 2.0 drive. It is a Maxtor One Touch II USB 279 GB capacity drive.
    My internal hard drive (Maxtor 6E 040L0, 111 GB) uses a WinXP Promise SATA150 TX Series IDE Controller.
    My backup of the internal drive to the external drive takes only an hour, however the full RESTORE (from recovery CD) takes 10 HOURS. WHY? And is there a way to speed this up?
    HELP!
    I am using Acronis version 10.0, build 4.942

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The eventual time might be less than first estimated but CDs/DVDs are a very slow data transfer method compared to IDE and SATA HDDs.

3. Fexxx

Fexxx Registered Member

Same Problem here.
    Recovering of a 30GB (Vista including Apps) Image on an external USB2.0 Drive, takes 12! Hours - this is unusefull. Installing all Apps manually takes "only" 3-5 Hours

Specs
    CoreDuo2
    SATA2 Systemdrive
    USB2.0 Backupdrive
    TrueImage 10

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Build a BartPE disk that uses the windows drivers. Mustang has an excellent guide and plugins Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD and Mustang's BartPE Plugins. The Linux drivers used by Acronis are notorious for slow performance.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

6. rootsdigger05

I have downloaded BartPE free edition and created a bootable WinXP CD and added the Acronis plugin. However, when booting up to the CD, it fails to recognize my internal hard drive! It thinks the "C:" drive is my external USB drive and has renamed all other drives with different crazy drive letters. When running the "Tools" application from the CD, I tried accessing the different drive letters it says were available, but got a message saying that I needed the Pro version of Bart PE to work with devices. So....I then tried going back to the BartPE web site, but seems as if that site is down. o_O

7. mustang

mustang Developer

You will need to add the Windows driver for your HDD controller to the BartPE disk. Put the driver in the \pebuilder\drivers\SCSIAdapter folder. If you have more than one controller, put each driver in a separate folder. You can also put your NIC driver in the \pebuilder\drivers\Net folder.

8. rootsdigger05

I already did that.

9. thomasjk

I'm not aware of any PRO version for BartPE. Post the exact error message. The site does seem to be down right now. BartPE names drives as follows:
    X: the CD drive you booted BartPE from.
    B: Ramdrive
    C: main drive with OS etc.

Here is a link to a driver pack that has lots of drivers including Promise Sata drivers. Delete the contents of your current BartPE Drivers folder. Download this file to the same directory where you have BartPE installed and double click to install the drivers in the Drivers folder.
    http://downloads.littlbuger.info/index.php?dlid=367
    I'm looking at a plain vanilla BartPE and I don't see any "Tools" application. Please clarify what you mean? There are commercial plugins included in the build that you will need a valid license for if you wish to use them.
    Lats week I used BartPE with one of Mustang's plugins to restore from an external hard drive. It took about one hour.

10. mustang

mustang Developer

What version of the TI plugin are you using?

11. rootsdigger05

Driver problem has been solved.
    I downloaded the file above as you instructed and extracted the drivers. Rather than delete all my drivers that I so carefully exctracted and placed in the folders, I simply added the 'Promise' folder to the existing ones. I then ran BartPE again, rebooted with the CD and it worked like a charm; my c: drive and all other drives were recognized properly. Thanks for the tip! With that issue out of the way, now I can get back to testing to see if the BartPE disk really solved my 10 hour restore problem...will let you know.

12. thomasjk

Glad I was able to help. That driver pack is in the process of being updated to V2.0. This driver pack is part of http://www.ubcd4win.com/ a highly customized version of BartPE. I use this CD which contains many diagnostic tools with one of Mustang's plugins.

13. rootsdigger05

Ok, I am VERY happy now with the BartPE boot disk! The restore took 30 minutes! As opposed to 10 hours!
    Hmmmm....why did the people of Acronis not think of these issues when adding the "Build rescue disk" feature into their product? Only God knows...

14. thomasjk

They do include a BartPE plugin but they probably don't want to pay license fees to Bart. The Linux rescue cd is notorious for poor performance and lack of support for hardware. It can't be easily modified by the user either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.