1.5 DAYS to clone 24g hd - what a joke ...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jackfrost, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackfrost

jackfrost Registered Member

i am attempting to clone my laptop to a new hd via usb 2 and TI is going to take 1.5 days. I tried to use the disk images I had but TI informs me they are ALL corrupt.
    The images.
    I made a few different ones to both internal and external drives as well as. Some were via windows some via boot cd. none worked (yet they ALL tested OK after being made).
    The cloning
    I have an internal 4200rpm 24g hd and am attempting to clone it to a 100g 7200rpm hd (usb2). I have tried at least 5 times and each time I get a message saying it will take well over a day.
    I have no choice now other than to wait the day(s) out and see what happens.
    If you are reading this and thinking of buying this product PLEASE try the demo first and not just rush in like I did. With hindsight I cannot recommend it.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Such a ridiculously long time, it should be around one hour, usually indicates a problem with the hardware drivers in TI. Cloning is in the Linux environment, this suggests the Linux drivers don't support your hardware.

How long did it take to make an image to an external drive after booting from the TI Recvery CD?

Were you able to verify the images after booting from the Recovery CD and in the Linux environment?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Is the notebook chipset USB2 as well as the external HD? USB1 is 40X slower.

Run memtest86+ www.memtest.org to see if you have a memory problem considering they validated OK before.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sounds like you are rowing your boat on the shore instead of in the water. Invariably, it seems that when extraordianry slow backup durations are encountered, the reason is a hardware issue. I'd guess that 90% of the time it's USB 1 or 1.1, which is sometimes called high speed USB. Unless the Mobo and the external unit are both running in USB 2 mode, USB will be slower than molasses in winter. That's not such an issue for small transfers, but it really adds up with big ones. Note that the ratings for USB are all the max bulk, burst rates. USB 2 is rated at 480- Mbps but probably is going to work out to an average of about 40 Mbps (much slower than the average transfer speed on IDE 100), while the earlier USB modes are rated at 12 Mbps but will probalby be closer to something like 3-5 Mbps.

Sometimes, the problem is a driver issue but that shouldn't affect ATI backups more than other software.

Rule out the USB 1/1.1 issue first. If that doesn't help, come back to the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.