Nod32 more liked than KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

How come i always read that nod32 is the first antivirus choiceo_O??

Is nod32 more liked??

i don't get it ppl here always told me that kav has a way better detection than nod32??

so why is nod32 more liked??

is nod32 a better quality antivirus??

is te update better or something??

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

It's a great scanner, without a doubt, but most Mods here surely push this product......over and over!!!!!! And I keep on wondering why.
    I'm sure that some kind of involvement with NOD or Eset is the case!!!! Maybe they get free licenceso_O??
    When questions are asked about a 'good' or the 'best product', 99% of the answers are: "Get Nod32" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, there are other great AV scanners!

Good luck,

Putin ;)

3. fzxbeetle

fzxbeetle Registered Member

Because here is the official forum of Nod32 maybe.
    nod32 is best av for future virus by its advance heuristics. :D
    also its database is clean :oops: than kav :D just kidding :cool:

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

One reason NOD32 is pushed so much is because it is very good about catching stuff through heuristics and a major reason is, NOD32 is very light on your system.

KAV is an awesome anti-virus with the highest detection rate, but it is quite large.

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Some people like Coca-Cola, some people like Pepsi.

Some people prefer Crest toothpaste, others like Colgate.

Some people like McDonald's, other prefer Burger King.

It basically comes down to user tastes and preferrences, and like fzxbeetle mentioned, NOD does have a presense in these forums. That shouldn't detract from the products' effectiveness at all, but it does mean that it's likely that since they have a forum here, users of the product are going to be more plentiful here. As for KAV versus NOD, I haven't used either as of yet, so I can't comment on that....but from everything I've read and heard, both are excellent products with outstanding detection rates and proven track records. Even though I haven't used either, my gut tells me either or would be a very good AV choice.

6. WizardofRaz

WizardofRaz Guest

It's mostly the combination of good detection with great speed.

In my humble opinion, if one is knowledgeable enough to recognize the majority of possible malware infections (most of the people here are), one shouldn't need to encumber onself with something that will slow down the system (don't even pay attention to memory usage, it's file i/o performance that makes the biggest impact on the "feel"). This is especially prevalent in an "aged" system, for instance, one of my machines has not been reformatted in 4 years. It runs great with NOD32, but has considerable slow-down with KAV due to the large amount of files (though KAV6 beta runs pretty good).

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Lol - don't I just wish :eek:

8. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

This is one example that the mod dont push nod. I dont agree with you Putin.

9. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Not just licenses but ESET provides monthly paychecks, cars and houses to all of us (don’t know about Detox)…and ohh, how could I forgot paid vacation trips to exotic places.

Thats it. Our cover is blown. :(

tECHNODROME

10. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Among 'us' are resellers, ain't there?

;) Putin

11. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Makes sense, but it seems as if KAV gets the same bad rap (system slow-downs) all the time - must be word of mouth! I have used both NOD and KAV, separately and together. In practice with our PC's (all less than 3-yrs old), I have found KAV to cause slower startups than NOD, but that's because KAV runs a startup detection process (which seems like a prudent idea to me). Once the comps are up and running, I have not observed any system-performance difference between KAV and NOD.

The only time I have clearly seen a noticeable slowdown was when I've attempted to run both together (one in 'real-time', the other 'on-demand'). But as long as only one of them is installed, other than perhaps seeing a difference in Mem Usage, I can't observe either one impacting system-performance more than the other!

Btw, I happen to like Crest, Carls Jr, and KAV. ;)

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Remember, Wilders serves as a NOD forum. Go to one of the KAV forums, I believe that there are two of them, and ask the folks in those forums what is their first antivirus choice. :D

Acadia

13. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

but doesn't every onw wont the best antivirus for detection??

thats wat i don't get

kav as the best detection so i use kav

14. waters

waters Registered Member

Just taken nod off.
    Had bitdefender as back up,run a scan and it found some trickler virus ,that nod missed.
    Tested with jotti,and avg avast kav etc all picked it up,nod didnt,so i dont trust anymore.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The ideal balance is good detection and good performance. KAV causes problems on many PCs (though it runs just fine on many others), so people prefer to go for other AVs which could be able to compensate for the possible lack of signatures by an effective heuristic/generic/disinfection engine (Examples: DrWeb, BitDefender, NOD32). :)

People can form their own opinions of various AVs. Suppose KAV screwed up their PC, then they have no choice but to go look for an alternative. Price also matters in purchasing an AV, especially so for students.

Therefore, there are many factors which decide how good various AVs are for that particular person. The criteria for choosing an AV varies from person to person - therefore what one may like, the other may not.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Thats just the tip of the iceberg, dude! :p

Not just licenses (or discounts), but also good customer support, some nice chat sessions, and something I bet Technodrome and Detox dont know of......:p

Hell ya, our cover is blown. :(:blink: :D:D

17. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Just fyi, even Nod does a startup scan. And yes, its a prudent idea! :D

Cheers!

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

pvsurfer. I will agree with you that Kavs start up scan is fairly intense and it takes a few seconds. But after it is fully booted I see no difference in speed between Kav or Nod or system draw. They both run very fast, but I personally do prefer Kaspersky.

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

chaos16,

I drive a car. If I want to be as safe as possible, arguably I should wear a crash helmet and firesuit everytime I go to the grocery store. I don't do that since that level of protection is not needed for a routine suburban style of driving (save for Boston, and possibly Montreal...., but I digress). On the other hand, it's an absolute imperative for a race car driver driving in a race. Both circumstances are driving, just very challenges and levels of danger.

Same thing with AV's. Think of surfing as akin to driving and you have to ask the question, what type of challenges do you encounter while surfing?

That said, properly employed, there's nothing wrong with a firesuit for city driving. By the same token, excessive "safety" measures improperly employed can increase danger. It's all in the details.

Does that help explain why some of us may choose to use NOD32 or other AV's of our choice?

Blue

20. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Exactly!

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

*Ding ding ding ding ding*...We may have a winner here!

22. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Oh I don't know about that, I prefer to use either Poopscan or Diddlyscan.

Further comments on Poopscan can be found in posts 31 onwards here

:D :D :D

23. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

LOL :D Love the humor :D

All,
    Keep in mind Wilders is a great place to find help with problems, also good for product inspection and reviews. But always remember to investigate opinions a little more and remember humans by nature harbour a little bias for or against certain things including their products. It is in our natures. But also remember facts are hard to ignore just be careful of data minipulators too. Find creatures you trust. Good personal example BigC made some postive remarks long time ago about Command AV later I learned he was a PC fixer and avid tester. ;) I tried Command AV and love it. See how it works. Now I trust BigC. Another example Blue and I share similar views on issues, who am I more likely to listen to for advice Blue or someone I think is smart but does not think like me? Why Blue of course. There are other many fine creatures here too. These are only two example of times and creatures that come to mind.

By the way I think based on my research that KAV and NOD are both good AV. But I have never used either one. Therefore my opinion should be worth less then one who has tried both. See how it works. :) ;)

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you can't make a choice between KAV and NOD32, put both in alphabetic order and choose the first one. :D

25. funkymonkeyboy

funkymonkeyboy Registered Member

I have tried both programs, I first tried NOD32. I liked the Http scanner, simple interface and light footprint. Then I tried KAV. I liked the very frequent updates, interface and the fact that it is always ranked highly in the AV tests. Now I am trialling the KIS 2006 beta. So far bugs aside, the KIS 2006 is very promising. One to watch!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.