Nod32 more liked than KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Really appreciate this statement and reading between the lines gives me a clear picture of your thoughts about what I posted.........
    May I know what your favorite AV is?

Thanks & ;)

Putin

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If money is no object ya'll can do what one person I know is doing: she has BOTH NOD and KAV on her system, uses NOD in real time and at least once a week brings up KAV to run a full scan of her entire system. She claims that it works just fine.

Acadia

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I've run KAV and NOD32 side-by-side. Both are great programs.

I prefer running KAV in real-time because, historically, it has had more comprehensive anti-trojan protection compared to NOD32. Of course, one can compensate for this by running an AT (e.g. Ewido, BOClean) alongside NOD32. But I prefer running KAV with Ewido as a "fail-safe" backup for KAV. Sort of a double-layer of top-end anti-trojan protection. But ultimately, I think either combination will yield the same results - i.e, excellent AV/AT protection. Of course, by running NOD32 on-demand, I cannot take advantage of its real-time heuristics, but KAV's frequent and comprehensive updates seem to be more than sufficient. At the end, it is a matter of taste.

Rich

4. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

You mean Eset NOD32 and Kaspersky Anti Virus ;)

5. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

That's what I do. Except I'm thinking of adding Panda's truprevent technology to be safe. NOD+truprevent should give you the best heuristics money can buy.

KAV for weekly scans.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOOOOOL. Yes every trick is good enough to put NOD32 in front.
    I don't have NOD32 and/or KAV, but if I ever buy one of them, it will be NOD32 until then I use AVG Free.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I thought NOD32 AH was better than Panda TruPrevent....:doubt:

8. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I have a few friends who develop sofware on Win32 platform and they run their own source tree / versioning system server on their machines.

Now, on systems like these standard KAV 5 Pro settings just kills performance on their machines, while NOD32 does not.

Granted, so do some ofther software (like F-Secure Antivirus and Norton/Symantec).

I'm sure most/all can be configured "up to speed" under loads like this, but it's not necessarily self-evident to those first time trying out the software.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks Putin. Sure I have not tried but a handful: Norton, Old Macfee version (before the ones BigC speaks so highly of), EZ AV (the freebie 12 month one), AVG, Antivir free, and Command AV. Out of those Command AV I like the best. Not an AV warrior like many as you can see. ;)

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

good luck...last time i tried truprevent, it told me to uninstall nod32. as for why people prefer nod32 over KAV, all the reasons have aleady been posted but for me, my reasons are that with KAV, reading files off a CD or external drive seems to slow down and i simply like nod32's http scanner. it catches zipped viruses on the fly which didnt work when i tried KAV. the kav 2006 beta does show promise, however it has quite a few bugs, notably its http scanner doesnt work too well.

11. .....

..... Registered Member

Both are different things.

NOD32's AH = Emulation
    TruPrevent = Behaviour blocker

12. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

Indeed. TruPrevent is closer to A2 squared IDS but done correctly.

Add SSM and PG's execution protection and you have a solid defense.

Anything will require your permission to start ,and even after you allow it to start, if it does fishy stuff, the IDS system will warn you!

That's assuming if your scanner didnt catch the malware via signatures +heuristics already before it starts.

13. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

I started out with KAV and it was brilliant, but then they upgraded it and it killed my machines performance.

I've been using NOD32 ever since.

Personally I feel one anti-virus is often not enough these days, as sometimes one does miss something, that the other will pick up.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

sometimes running a backup av is not a bad idea. It might possibly catch something the on access av may not pick up.

15. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm licenced for both Nod32 and kaspersky. I think both are tremendous antiviruses. However, with that said. I've been running only kav for the past couple of months. I just feel safer with kav. I run kav and boclean together. I haven't had any problems with this setup.

I'm not experiencing the heavy resource hit with kav that some have encountered. This is on a old "windows me" hp computer with a intel celeron 700 mhz processor..and 192 mb of ram.

16. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

That's good old Panda style alright, jealous of every other AV installed. I just ignored it. No problems.

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it strange tho, the first version of truprevent never told me to do that and secondly i cant ignore that error, it just wont let me install it, not that id want to use it anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.