Install/Running NOD32 on two computers

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Geraner, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geraner

Geraner Registered Member

Hi,

I'm testing right now a trailversion of NOD32 and I'm really supprised about the program.

I have two computers at home. One desktop and one laptop.
    When I buy NOD32 with the Home User License for 1 User, is it then possible for me to install NOD32 on both of my computers at home?
    Or do I have to buy a Multi-User License?

Anyone who is running NOD32 on two computers at home, who knows about it?

Thanks in advance.
    Geraner

2. MarkJamesNodUK

MarkJamesNodUK Registered Member

No you may not, your license covers you for ONE computer, if you require it on both PC's you will need to buy 2 licenses.

Mark James Nod32UK

3. Geraner

Well, I'm testing it now in my desktop.
    Before, I was running McAfee 8.0 on both computers, even if I only had a 1 user license. It was working, because I had to login with my e-mailadress as ID, wenn I started using McAfee.

BTW, if there is written one user license. I'm one user, but I'm only using the program on two computers.
    So I think it isn't fair, if there is written one user license, but I as one user can't use the program on more then one computer......

/Geraner

4. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

Excerpt from the email you receive from Eset after purchasing NOD32:
    I can post from the End User License agreement if needed.

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

(snip.. statements suggesting that "you will probably be okay" with an EULA violation removed)

If NOD makes a big stink over this, then you should go with another AV program. Avast Home is free and just about as effective as NOD in the detection department. McAfee is one of the best bug killer, but I don't like the new Security Center.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2004
  6. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

One Computer = One User
    Two Computers = Two Users

Looks straight forward enough to me

7. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

Using software contrary to the license agreement is stealing. Even if a program can be installed on multiple computers and still work, it doesn't mean you should without proper licensing.

Discussion about about violating any company's EULA within there own forums is extremely rude. Hopefully this thread will be edited or deleted all together.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Where is option: "Two computers = One user" ?
    It's nothing too unusual...

9. Geraner

Great! I like this comment! :D

/Geraner

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

To all the people with white smock and gloves:

Since when is it illegal to answer a question with a "yes" or "no"? I specifically recommend a FREE AV solution if NOD has a problem with the use of one license on two PCs. I did NOT provide a link for anyone to crack the NOD software.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As already noted by PLeX™, the e-mail that you receive when you purchase NOD32 is explicit and unambiguous. In my own case it reads
    One computer, that's it. If these are terms that are not agreeable, take that into account when making a purchase, but these are very standard terms for paid AV solutions.

Blue

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But if the license agreement states "single user license",that can mean that ONE user can install it on more PC (owned by him and for personal non corporate/non profit usage). Thats how i explain this. One computer license is one computer only.

13. BlueZannetti

It's not a problem to answer a simple question with a yes or no. It is a problem to recommend violating an explicit EULA. Your alternate recommendation is fine, although heading off topic relative to the direct question of using one license on 2 PC's - the answer to which is NO.

Regards,

Blue

14. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The EULA is nebulous. If I have 1000 residents with 1000 PCs, then I must purchase NOD 1000 times to protect all my PCs? Remember that only I have access to those PCs. I can see the logic behind purchasing multiple licenses to protect multiple users. But, there shouldn't be an issue if 999 of my other PCs are OFF, and my one PC is ON running NOD32.

15. BlueZannetti

nod32_9,

You may not like the language, but by any definition of the word, it is not nebulous. Exactly what is nebulous regarding the quote from the e-mail purchase that I made above? It doesn't state user. It is not along the lines you mention, to which the Borland licenses of old adhered. No, it's plain and unambiguous.

Blue

16. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

The EULA for NOD32 essentially says the license if for a particular computer:
    So...no, you cannot install NOD32 on 1000 PCs even if you only use one at a time and still consider yourself legal.

After you write and sell your own software, you can decide what makes sense in regards to User vs. Computer models.

17. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I use common sense when it comes to "fair use" of software. Just glad NOD is not the only game in town.

18. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Business would come to a grinding halt if all companies STRICKLY enforce its code of ethics. I suspect NOD managements would rather have ONE paying customer with two PCs, than NO paying customer. This is the real world, not business 101.

Yeah...Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School". BTW, I used to code n sell ideas, but I never take the DRACONIAN approach to licensing.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I agree....and for those that wish to discuss the other games in town....there are Forums here @ Wilders for those other AV's. For those that wish not to discuss NOD in the NOD Forum....the choice is simple and unambiguous....don't visit the NOD Forum.

20. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

What a discussion...

It looks as if people here are more Roman than the Pope. Great :)

I have bought about five AV's now. And I decide which one I use. And if I like to use NOD32 on two or three of MY OWN pc's that's up to me. And I agree with nod32_9: the policy of all companies will be like that. I bought NOD32 because I like the program. And I guess Eset is happy with every paying customer. Just like all other comapnies. Stealing is a harsh word for using software that you pay for on maybe more than one machine...

Better use it like that than getting the key from someplace and don't pay for it at all. Although I don't blame people with little money, that they do it like that. Those one-year-service deals are terrible.

Hail to for instance Outpost, who are now selling a life time key for the price of a one year key. And hail to NOD32 resellers who sell it cheaper, like nod32usa of those swiss guys who selll three years licenses much cheaper.

Companies should wake up to the world and stop with their one year licenses! Then software 'theft' will get smaller and smaller. I'm pretty sure of that.

21. BlueZannetti

That comment is more than a little disingenuous of you Edwin024, if I do say so.

I have a fairly simple personal rule - if I disagree with the business decisions of an organization, I go elsewhere. No amount of internal rationalization that you could care to muster gets around the details of what you advocate.

When I see companies such as Agnitum with Ourpost or Privacy Software with BoClean offering what I agree are appropriate licensing models for home use - I patronize them. I've purchased and use both in part explicitly because of their licensing. I don't unilaterally attempt to apply the same rule to every other business that I could possibly patronize becuase I feel that's the way they should be doing business. If they are following a bad model, the marketplace will eventually take them to task, at which time they either change or fail. It is as simple as that.

Blue

22. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I don't resell NOD, but I have directed many who wish to purchase a "brand name" AV to NOD32. Those who couldn't afford NOD went with Avast Home. Would more Avast Home users switch to NOD if the annual subscription fee is under $15? Absolutely!

Still have my lifetime license from ZA.

23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

In doing so, you run the risk of the Nod32 servers detecting a multiple download for a single license, and then having that license cancelled.

If they can afford a $1500+ computer, a small fee and then renewal fee after one year is a tiny price to pay for protection, not like a $1500 airbag for a car ;) :D.

Nod32 offer 2 year licenses at a discount.

Cheers :D

24. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

steal
    1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as an habitual or regular practice a : to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully b : to take away by force or unjust means c : to take surreptitiously or without permission d : to appropriate to oneself or beyond one's proper share

The word is used appropiately. Trying to justify it sounds like maybe it's a guilty conscience.

How ever you make your income...why don't you do that for free, especially if your product, service, or labor is something virtually everyone needs/should have. Heck, why should anyone pay for anything...especially food, we all need that.

Ya know, if I buy one car from a car company...I should be able to go get as many cars as I want, when ever I want, just because I bought only one of their cars.

25. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hehehe!

I bought a Compaq computer. Doesn't that entitle me to as many as I want??

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.