The new Spy-Bot 1.3 is released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Majorgeeks.com has the new Spy-Bot for download.

2. claire

claire Guest

Hi,

Do I have to uninstall 1.2 or may I install1.3 on top?

TIA

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I plan to do a clean install.

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

You can Install over the existing version. Do NOT disable Anti-Viruses or such programs. Do NOT forget to do a reboot after installing as there maybe a error " scan aborted by user " . Its better to do a reboot IMHO.

Regards

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, :)

Sweet! :D

dog - *puppy*

Thanks for the links FanJ! ;)

Here's the link for the direct download from Spybot.us , if anyone needs it! ;)

He he ... Post 196 ... only 4 to go to 200! I reached that pretty fast ... Man, I must talk a LOT ... LOL :D

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Am I correct in assuming that the previous version of SB 1.3 was a beta and this one is the final version? Can I instal over my current 1.3 or is a clean instal preferrable? Thanks.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, this is the final version now, and the previous 1.3 was a type of beta (aka. release candidate). While they say you can upgrade "over the top" from 1.2 to 1.3, though I did a clean uninstall/install myself, they do recommend uninstalling any previous 1.3 and NOT installing over the top of that. (Personally, I recommend reboots for changing from 1.3rc to 1.3. Deinstall old. Reboot. Install new. Reboot.)

10. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thanks LWM for your reply. Exactly what I was wanting. Have a nice weekend.

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2004
  12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Are there or are there not new detections? I've been told both yes and no. I had the beta 6 version which had March 4 detections as the latest. I installed version 3 final yesterday and did not uninstall the beta as I got a warning screen to not do that and I have never done that before rather always installed on top. For one thing, I don't want to loose the backups as there were false positives in both version 2 and the betas.

I did an update as soon as it was installed and was told I had the current detections which are March 4! Are there later ones or not? I was told no, there are no later ones ....they will be coming and then I was told there are later ones but they are only for the beta and release candidate versions...talk about being confusing!

I noticed that a scan produces the same false positives but then it would I guess since the detections are March 4.

I also cannot read a word of the information on a particular finding when I highlight and click on it. The popup has a very dark grey (almost black background) with black print. NO CONTRAST. So, it looks to me like this was not ready for release. I wish I had stayed with the beta.

13. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

THX fanj buddy for looking out for me and e-mailing me on this you the man

14. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi!

Does this new version, v1.3, comes with new signature updates or just a new program upgarde?

Thanks

15. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just downloaded the new version but before I install I note from the posts on the DSL sites that some of them uninstalled the previous version but kept the old directory o_O I was going to do a complete uninstall and clean up of the registry before installing but would be grateful if someone would advise if this is the best procedure or do I keep my old directory?

One other point about not disabling my AV does this also include my firewall as I would normally disable programs such as these before installing other software. I would be grateful for confirmation that I should keep all programs running when I install plus the complete clean first. Thank you.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

At the moment I myself have not yet installed the new Spybot S&D.
    When I'm going to do that, I guess I will un-install the old one and clean the old directory.
    I would like to invite others who have already installed the new one, to tell about their experiences.

As for disabling your AV:
    I myself always disconnect from the internet, disable every running program except Explorer and Systray, do a quick scandisk; only then I install a new program. But others might have different opinions ;)

17. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks Fran for the advice I will definitely do a very clean install but just wondered why the point was made to keep my AV running plus firewall as I have a routine to disable these too. I will be very interested to know the reason for this particular program o_O

18. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Robyn,

I think that it was not aimed in particular to Spybot, but more a general advice.

PS:
    Yesterday, after having read those advices, I started a new thread about how people install a program.
    But I was not happy with my own posting so deleted it and asked Pieter to remove the thread.

19. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hi Fran

I have myself read various opinions about keeping AV's running when installing but have never really found out the definitive reason for doing so. I normally disable but on one occasion when I was installing a new browser I did not do this and the browser had errors when installed! I am not sure if it was due to the fact of my AV or just a bad install but it did make me wary.

I have to install this on my laptop and main PC so I will have to do everything twice (then a few more timesfor some friends!) I will start with my cleaning and then make the decision about my AV this time. Thanks again for helping :)

20. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Re: Latest SpyBotS&D BETA is VERY stable.

Nice job by Mr Patrick Kolla on Spybot-S&D. I got the FINAL release version now, i have tested all the versions all the way from the earliest one and found it very stable. The final re. is excellent and most of the program bugs have been trashed out. Nice job, Patrick. 5 stars! :)

21. LowWaterMark

nadirah,

I moved your post above from the thread you put it in originally because that was a 2 year old thread talking about a very early version of Spybot. This thread was a recent one and is talking about the same version you are referring to.

22. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Would I need to uninstall Spybot S&D 1.3 to install this, or can I install this seperately?

23. LowWaterMark

Comp01, I also split your reply from the same 2 year old thread and moved it here.

Do you mean that you had a previous BETA or Release Candidate v1.3 installed on your system, or did you actually mean that you have the last version (1.2) on your system?

The official recommendation is that anyone who was Beta testing or using the various RC versions of Spybot 1.3 should deinstall that copy first before installing the final 1.3 that just became available.

People who have 1.2 can install over the top if they like, though I decided to do an uninstall of 1.2 prior to installing 1.3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.