Spyware blaster V's Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wizzkid, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizzkid

wizzkid Registered Member

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can tell me the difference, if any between, Spyware Blaster & Spybot S&D. I have been running Spybot for a couple of years & it has been great, but lately I have been having a few problems with it and it has not been finding any spyware, ect, when there has been some on my system (I deliberately put it there to test it). I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it & updated, but with no luck. There is a new 1.3 Final version out today, I will try that. I have lost all faith in it now though & I am looking for a change. Can anyone recommend something similar?

Wizzkid

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi wizzkid, and welcome.

I have moved your thread from the General Forum to the Privacy Software forum where it will get better response.

You might want to read this thread where LowWaterMark has given a great explaination of how SpywareBlaster works (along with also explaining how SpywareGuard works too.)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18132

As you will see from his post, SpywareBlaster is a program that 'prevents' installation of spyware/hijackers, etc. Whereas Spybot Search & Destroy is a program that 'removes' the spyware from your computer.

You have asked for an alternative to Spybot Search & Destroy. The only other excellent program that I have used is Adaware6, which has a free version, and a paid version. The paid version comes with Ad-Watch which runs resident to prevent installation of spyware/hijackers.

I am sure others will add some help and suggestions to your thread too as many members here use either one of the above, or have all of them installed (I do.) :D

Regards,

snap

3. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Guest

Snappy

you covered this topic very well......not much if anything else to add

KID

perhaps you could share with us the name of the spyware you tested Spybot with. Also, did you advise the vendor of Spybot about this....he does listen.

aka:snowman

4. Zoltar

Zoltar Guest

Spyware Blaster stops spyware from installing on your computer by putting keys in the registry to stop it from ever being installed.
    Spybot finds and cleans spyware after it has been installed.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Spyware Blaster is great but it works only for IE and I seldom use IE (except for Windows Update). IE uses Active X and that is precisely one reason I don't use IE but instead use Firefox and Mozilla which don't use Active X. Active X is how you get a lot of spyware so if you use a browser that doesn't use Active X then you are immune to a lot of spyware.

Spyware Blaster sets the "killbit" (for each of the spyware programs that use Active X in IE to install either silently without your permission when you visit certain websites, etc. or with your permission because you don't realize it is spyware) in the registry so that those programs cannot download to your computer and any already on your computer are immediately disabled when you install and run Spyware Blaster. Not all spyware is obtained in this manner though so you also need something like Spyware Blaster to get rid of the other kinds of Spyware you get.

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

spyware blaster CAN protect mozilla/firefox too..tracking cookies!

to me there is no choice between the two: run both, they will compliment each other perfectly, just add adaware and you're fine

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As a long time user of both SpywareBlaster(SB) and SpyBot S&D(SB S&D).....I would like to share my knowledge of both of these fine programs concerning their present versions. While there was a day one could make the comment that one program "prevents" and the other "removes"....that is not totally true today and with this mis-information users can find themselves unprotected. For example and speaking of the their present versions only(SB v. 3.1 and SB S&D v. 1.3)....they both have some over lapping functions and if a user applies for instance.....SB's ActiveX kill bit function and then comes along and disables SB S&D ActiveX kill bit function via the Immunize feature....they have now removed some of the same entries found in SB's database. The same holds true for SB's prevention of spyware/tracking cookies and it's Restricted Sites protection feature that is also available in SB S&D's via it's Immunize feature. While it is true that SpyBot's main focus is still the removal of malware....it is no longer true that SpywareBlaster is an orange and Spybot is an apple in respect to some of their respective features in todays versions. Since they do have some identical features....this has the possibility of leaving a user unprotected if the total package of each program is not looked at closely by the user.

Respectfully,
    Bubba

8. wizzkid

wizzkid Registered Member

Thanks guys, that was a very informative group of replys. Cheers.

Wizzkid

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Bubba hit the nail on the head. This is the very problem with these two today. They were once great proggies...but no more. They should have not decided to include the kitchen sink. Spy bot should just detect and remove spyware on demand and Spyware Blaster should not be screwing with cookies when all you have to do in Firefox is just don't accept hardly any and never accept third party ones and always ask to be notified before accepting even first party...then you are fine. Spyware Blaster should just set the killbit in IE as it originally did and not attempt to now clean the kitchen sink also which is already clean. Then we have them set up where you have to enable stuff in one to be covered in the other? I don't like that one bit! They are totally separate or should be!! Now that they appear to be intertwined, I say user beware of both. Just use one and Spyware Blaster is the best of the two because active X in IE is the biggest problem.

I'm disillusioned with both proggies. It is obvious that they are both preparing to go boxed and with a nice fat price and that is what is being thought about ...what will market these two best..not what is best for the users. They are following Ad-Aware which pulled this same s**t about a year ago and which I have never touched again.

10. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Mele20,
    SpyBot 1.3 checks for and then recommends SpywareBlaster and in fact when both SB and SWB are present and you run SWB from within SB, you see that the ActiveX blocking remains 'turned-on'.

Rather than flame these folks, be aware that they are aware of each other and in fact co-exist quite nicely together.

So I'd recommend having both and of course taking the time to learn about what they offer and then configure them to suit your objectives.

Jim

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Mele,

Unless you have some proof about what these authors are doing, ie. preparing to go boxed, it is inappropriate to post that as if it was some obvious fact.

A lot of people donate time (submitting items to block or clean to the authors, helping with debugging, etc.) and resources (expensive download bandwidth or money in terms of donations) to support both products and authors. In return the programmers provide ever more powerful products that help defend all our systems and privacy. It is not proper at all to accuse these people or their teams, when to date, all they've done is provide free software that no one is being forced to use.

Report bugs. Comment on what you don't like about the product. That's perfectly fine. But do not post your speculations about the motives of these authors without some proof to back that up.

12. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

LWM - well said. Jim ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.