This program has been damaged

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mezard, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezard

mezard Registered Member

"This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it."

The SB won't run. I ain't got bad sectors or viruses... The system is win98 fe. Is that the progz fault? :mad:

Attacment removed - Pieter
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19950

2. earth

earth Registered Member

Hi there,
    I have had the same error message come up with mine. And I don't have a virus or bad sector either. Have you managed to fix the problem yet. Cause if ya have i would love to know how you did it.

3. mezard

mezard Registered Member

Somethings wrong with the program I suppose... It's not compatible with the win98... I am waiting for a patch for Spyware Blaster which was promised by the moderator on March the 30th........ :mad:

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Bear in mind you are using software that's freeware for personal use, the software developer is working very hard to develop software and cope with possible glitches. There's no big development staff available as is the case with Symantec for example.

Bottom line: please be patient.

regards.

paul

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I haven't been able to promise a date, as I'm still working on fixing the problem.

What I have promised is that the problem will be fixed as soon as is possible. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. mezard

mezard Registered Member

"Bear in mind you are using software that's freeware for personal use, the software developer is working very hard to develop software and cope with possible glitches. There's no big development staff available as is the case with Symantec for example.
    Bottom line: please be patient.
    regards.
    paul"

Chill out man! :) I esteem Your hard work here... really!

"Hi,
    I haven't been able to promise a date, as I'm still working on fixing the problem.
    What I have promised is that the problem will be fixed as soon as is possible.
    Best regards,
    -Javacool"

language - Pieter There are some laws of propriety! ;) ;)
    I can help You, If You want... I can work for U. Do I have to send my CV? :D

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

Without doing an actual search, I'm pretty sure the only reference to a date (last Friday vaguely rings a bell) as opposed to as-soon-as-possible came from one of the regular users here, not from Javacool. And where he/she came up with that bit of supposed information, I haven't a clue.

Hang in there and be patient, the product and the service (and, of course, the price) are great.

Best,
    Mike

8. mezard

mezard Registered Member

"This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it"

Still the same issue in SB 3.1.... :'( :'( :'(
    F****** win98....

9. mezard

mezard Registered Member

Does anybody have the same problem? How to solve it?

10. kitty

kitty Guest

Every site I try to down load from takes me to a search page that keeps making itself my default home page

11. Da?kThor

Da?kThor Guest

It's the same thing with Windows XP...

I have this problem since a browser hijack. I think that this hijack made permanently problem to use spywareblaster... What a f***

12. bubba bodel

bubba bodel Registered Member

Da®kThor........I have the same problem. Haven't been able to open SpywareBlaster since being hit with the Coolwebsearch hijacker. I've run CWShredder several times and it shows I'm clean now..... Adaware, Spybot and Hijack This show I'm finally clean of coolwebsearch too but I'm still not sure it's gone....

SpywareBlaster gives the error "This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector on the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it." I do remember opening SpywareBlaster at least once after being infected with the coolwebsearch hijacker but it sure won't open now. The coolwedsearch seemed to mutate before I got rid of it. Have used several versions of SpywareBlaster without any problems until this. Hope this sheds some light on a possible cause of this problem......Thanks to all the folks at SpywareBlaster and this forum for the program and their help......Bubba.......win/98se IE5.5 SP2....

13. wilm105

wilm105 Registered Member

Hey Guys
    I have the exact problem on on my XPpro machine, it all started when I somehow got caught by the coolwebsearch hijacker. I was able to download a coolwebsearch shredder but I can not get Spywarguard or Spywareblaster to work no matter how many times I reinstall them. Adaware is still up and running as is Spybot with update capabilities. I understand that the CWS hijacker is a worm of some sort but my NAV has not detected it. I would love to hear of a solution, when one becomes available.
    Thanks
    wilm

14. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

Have a look at this thread in regard to your problems.

regards.

paul

15. wilm105

Hello; and thanks for the response
    I did but my settings were already tweaked, the CWS shredder did not work, I even tried reinstalling IE6 but that did not work either. I have a google reg patch but it only worked for a second. Apparently there exist a new variant that has not been picked up. I do not know where to go from here, and it is obvious that this is a fairly common issue from what I have research. I have seen some manual methods of removal that seem fairly complicated (for a maybe fix) for the novice. I have also noticed that I cannot clear my client web publishing cache. M$ has to stop playing games (hide and seek) with these cookies and histories, someone will eventually figure them out and exploit this.
    I am at a definate loss!
    wilm105

16. Calzor Suzay

Calzor Suzay Registered Member

I have the very same problem, on XP and I've been previously hit by a form of CWS.

17. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Considering the fact that SWB 3.1 is a complete Freebie produced by Javacool for the betterment of everyones security and considering the fact that Javacool works his botty off to try and keep us all ahead of the game, I think it would be quite commom courtesy to at least show some appreciation for what he has achieved for our sole benefit.

All this whining about a Duff, Dented, Damaged programme I personally find rather rude.

If you consider the programme, with all due respect, to be rubbish, then simply don't bother with it and find something more interesting to do or better still, use your knowledge to create your own Spyware Whacker.

As for it not being compatible with Win 98 isn't true, I have 98se, my OS is 2nd hand, about 4/5 years old, I bought the whole thing including Epson 440 printer, desk and chair for £80 quid, my mobo is peaked out at 128 Ram, it won't take anymore than that, yet I had SWB 3.0 with no probs and when 3.1 came out I followed Javacools instructions to the letter and it slotted itself into my OS without touching the sides, it's a class programme from a class guy and should at least be shown a little respect.

IMHO from reading between the lines of the peeps complaining, I would be inclined to look a little closer to home with regard to what other dross is already clogging up your systems instead of calling for 'Patches' etc., in the hope they will be a cureall for what is really wrong.

Just one last point, I have never quite grasped the logic of 'Effing and Blinding' at an inanimate object and threatening to throw it out of the window i.e. A COMPUTER, or operating system, it doesn't really care, if you wish to load it with other irrelevant rubbish then you can only expect to get it back in return.

I realise that some will be crying 'Flame' here, well I can assure you that is far from the truth, I would like to think I'am just stating a few facts and there is absolutely no intent to upset anyone.

With best Regards to All, Cochise, :cool:

18. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm aware of this issue - and with luck it will be fixed for version 3.2. :)

Please bear with me - I apologize for the inconvenience!

Best regards,

-Javacool

19. bubba bodel

Javacool, thank you very much for the reply. I'll keep a sharp eye out for the new release. As far as I know my version 3.1 was working before coolwebsearch invaded my computer.

Thanks again and I really appreciate this program and will send a donation ASAP

Regards, Bubba

20. wilm105

Hello again;
    I thought that the purpose of this forum was to seek assistance, be that from a newbie like myself to the more experienced Senior member. I am of the opinion that whining is a strong word to use against a party seeking the assistance from the writer of a piece of software or more experienced users. I am not here to complain, more so to seek the help of fellow users. I have become quite use to the appliance graciously offered by no simple means. I am very grateful for Javacools efforts here and make no mistake, I am not whining, simply asking for help as are others.

21. bubba bodel

Javacool........here's an update for ya: My SpywareBlaster 3.1 started working!

Been fighting coolwebsearch for a week and finally after some most excellent help here on the WildersSecurity forum, I'm clean.

Seems that a LOGK.dll was the problem. After deleting it in dos I was able to run SpywareBlaster..

Thanks again for the excellent help.
    Bubba

22. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

It does seem that the latest versions of CWS are deliberately targetting various antimalware products and unfortunately SB & SG seem to be amongst the list

when the cws hijack is finally removed all the products work normally.

23. bubba bodel

Hi Derek,

I won't keep bumping this thread up but I do want to mention this. I installed Spywareguard a couple of days ago while I still had the coolwebsearch bug. It worked but it was just an endless clicking of boxes trying to keep the home page from being redirected when coolwebseach would return each afternoon.

Sure was nice not to have any visitors this afternoon and nice to have SpywareBlaster back too.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Bubba

24. mtlhddoc2

mtlhddoc2 Registered Member

I have been getting this message too.

I am 100% convinced that the problem is not CWS - the reason I am having so much trouble is the NETSKY virus. I am a Desktop tech and have had many of my PCs get CWS but one got NETSKY and has this issue (WinXP Pro). I am considering several options here, but to be sure, I will probably re-ghost the drive.

25. zacktech

zacktech Guest

I had this problem, it came suddenly in this way:
    Homepage hijack, it took my page to "about:blank" and then hijacked it to go to its search page. I forgot what the site was.

Hijackthis saw it, I think, in the form of a file called "bbaghia.dll". When I removed it, HJT put defaults back in. Then I scan again and they are all back to bbaghia.dll. Including a BHO object. Ad-aware works, but I think something took out spybot's updating function. A slightly older version just says there are no updates when it checks.

THE FIX:

I tried a ton of things but I think the fix was the addware cleaners. I downloaded and ran the latest CWShredder and it fixed a couple things and "restored" some IE pages. Which is what I think HJT was doing anyways.

(NOTE: this is where I downloaded spywareblaster and got the error that it was corrupt or the there was a bad HDD)

Next I had to download and update spybot manually, then scanned. It appears there was some variants of Coolwebsearch still in there. It removed all but 1 object that was "cool www search", and asked if it could remove it on startup. Of course I said yet. Then I updated ad-aware and cleaned more of what it found. Including coolwebsearch, and a small army of "possible browser hijacks".

I deleted the hosts file and backup hosts file, and lmhosts too. I deleted temps, and cleaned out IE stuff (cookies, temp, history etc...) and reset all IE security settings. I flushed the dns cache (IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS) from command line.

THIS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO I THINK.
    The kicker is that you have to do it in Safe Mode, because the process must be running in memory in normal mode, putting itself back in each time. OR, if Spybot or ad-aware are set to run "at startup", that means they should be able to find and clean it off BEFORE the bad process runs again.

I found it interresting that the DLL file that kept getting back in there (bbaghia.dll) was never found on the HDD. I searched for it many time, and looked in the exact location HJT was saying it was, but it wasn't there. (and I had hidden and system, and protected files, showing).

----------
    In conclusion. I cleaned off the hijacker, which I think was yet a new coolwebsearch variant. But have not yet solved the spywareblaster issue. I reinstalled it a few more times, it still won't run. So I await the new release, as I haven't used or seen this program before and it looks like it's good.

Hope this helps somebody!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.