POC of Terminating Processes

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MagisDing, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

Test methods:
    1.run one programme,such as notepad.exe,mspaint.exe or SREng,ISword etc.;
    2.run the test executable, type the title of the former window in the blank;

Now wait for the results that the running programme crashes.

Try this POC, check out which HIPS can intercept the behaivor( send interprocesses message flood) and prevent the crash.

Download it <Snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  2. hamzah95

hamzah95 Registered Member

there is no way i can download from rapidshare, I don't think i'll ever be able to. Can you please put it on a different host or tell me how i can download it using the free option?

3. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Got past Threatfire at highest settings.

4. Henk1956

Henk1956 Registered Member

Nothing crashed with GesWall.
    Geswall simply blocked the messages that test.exe tried to send to the applications.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can,t download it. Can u upload it again. It says limit of ten times reached.

6. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

Thanks for testing it.

Try this link:<snip>

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I get this window. What does it mean?"

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  8. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I get this: (right after this - notepad closes)

Attached Files:

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

CFP bypassed. Notepad is killed.

10. Quill

Quill Registered Member

Unable to download:

11. 3xist

3xist Guest

Can some one please PM me the program or post a working link here? The above links are dead.

Cheers
    Josh

12. ypestis

ypestis Guest

Well you could use the skill set you advocated against MSMVPS/Donna.
    If you are up to it.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GesWall stopped it.

Attached Files:

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

<SNIP>

15. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Malware Defender 2.3.0 beta 1 also fails to control this POC's behavior (Vista SP2).

16. fax

fax Registered Member

No problem with ZA (ZAAV 9 beta)
    Deny and test is passed :)
    Capture.JPG
    Fax

17. Quill

Quill Registered Member

Thanks aigle :)

18. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Is notepad usable after you deny WerFault.exe? WerFault usually shows up after applications crash...in this instance, notepad.exe.

19. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

That's odd. I wonder if this is a bug in Outpost firewall. Anyone test Online Armor vs this POC?

20. 3xist

3xist Guest

Run a program such as Notepad.
    Then run the Test, Type in the box The Title of Notepad (I believe it's Untitled-Notepad). Hit the first ?? box after.

CIS for sure doesn't intercept by default configuration (Internet Security). Proactive Security obviously prevents this too. Interesting to see that CIS does protect it self however (See Screen Shot). Notepad froze for a while. :(

I sent an Email to Egemen (Lead CIS Developer). CIS Team are working on version 4 but let's see what happens.

Thx MagisDing for bringing this up. There are obviously other vendors out that also fail this one.

Cheers,
    Josh

Attached Files:

21. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Thanks for the instructions Josh - you saved me the trouble of posting a screenie and asking what the hell is going on here :)

BTW, I have CIS cranked up pretty high as far as protection and alerts go, but I received no alert from CIS, only a Vista one stating that Notepad had stopped working.

22. nick s

nick s Registered Member

The POC fails to close Malware Defender's UI as well. It also fails against other window titles ("cmd" for example). Not sure what the common denominator is. It will crash "Sandboxie Control". Sandboxie's protection, however remains enforced.

23. 3xist

3xist Guest

I'm not too sure to be honest, I didn't run this test in a Sandbox. Since CIS and Sandboxie aren't designed to work together, Different protections or the way Notepad performs behavior wise may vary (wild wild guess). I haven't had any conflicts with CIS and Sandboxie btw.

No worries. No Alerts from CIS?

I'm personally running CIS in Proactive Security with Parental Control Enabled, and Defense+, Firewall Alerts Suppressed - Defense+ being in "Clean PC Mode" so my applications currently on the PC can run with zero Alerts. (So some one running this way with CIS, will just get an error before even executing this test).

Anyway, I'll wait for a response from Egemen, Or if he posts over at the forums with the default configuration, If this is a real threat in the wild or not (Malware Related).

EDIT: Saw this: http://forums.comodo.com/leak_testi...do_bypassed-t43061.0.html;msg312464#msg312464

If I'm right, You and panic (Other Moderator at Comodo Forums), Ran this test, switched to poactive, Typed title in, pressed enter, and still got no Alerts? Or Am I wrong? (Proactive stops execution in first place for me). But while its running that's obviously not the case.

Qutie funny. So, So far, CIS and Malware Defender can PROTECT them selves so far by protecting their own GUI, But not other applications. This is obviously not a one-vendor issue we are dealing with! :)

Cheers,
    Josh

24. tsec

tsec Registered Member

@3xist

I executed the test while Proactive was running. It then hung the notepad. No Alerts.

Edit: I just ran the test again to make sure - same result - notepad nerfed, test.exe to be able to be closed via second radio button - no alert from CIS, despite everything in ultra-paranoid mode.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  25. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Dynamic Security Agent was the only App to detect it. When i tried again i got the other 2 alerts.

I've kept DSA because even though there is a lot of overlap with for eg TF, on occasion it does jump in and detect things other stuff doesn't. This being a very good example.

I also had Threatfire & OA free & Antivir free all running at the same time too.

Attached Files:

• dsa.png
      dsa.png
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    • cant.png
      cant.png
      File size:
      4.7 KB
      Views:
    • att.png
      att.png
      File size:
      9.1 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.