POC of Terminating Processes

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MagisDing, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

yes it bypasses MD.

can some one test with defense wall ?? I think defense wall will block it but I could be wrong.

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My results.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

uuhm... tried on ZA GUI and test.exe hangs... ZA GUI does not close or froze and VISTA continue to work just fine...

This time running it on notepad cause notepad to close, but there is no sign of application crash in logs

Fax

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

It doesn't do jack on my XP, tried it on Metapad and IE, nothing ? Which is good news i suppose, but i wonder why ?

aigle

Ok just posting what DSA showed, but the others didn't !

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

it's just simple execution alert that all other give as well.

6. arran

arran Registered Member

well sad fact is it also bypasses defense wall. seems gesWall is the only winner here. these poor results with our favourite security products is not good. I'm pissed off with this test.

7. 3xist

3xist Guest

It's becoming more and more clear to me. There are REALLY only 2 things we can assume about this based on the information around us:

1) This is a new malware technique introduced and is starting to be used in the wild of new malware. (Unlikely)

2) This is simply a useless Windows Message POC, All it does is freezes applications. It's much more of an inconvenience then it is of a threat that ALL vendors need to secure against NOW. (Likely)

I'm leaning towards Number 2 to be honest.

Cheers
    Josh

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well lets hope its not the 1st then :D

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Not even, it has an advanced self freezing feature :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  10. 3xist

3xist Guest

That's exactly way (Default Denny Protection) I have CIS in Parental Control with Defense+ and Firewall Alerts SUPPRESSED. :) When I try this thing, I get the picture below. :) (And Still can run my current apps with zero alerts).

Is it fair to say CIS blocks this in Proactive-Parental Control Configuration? Nope. Because people are saying this bypasses even when CIS is in Proactive. It's an odd piece of code! Grrr! :) (Still awaits results from CIS devs...)

This is one reason why Sandboxing is coming in CIS ver 4. ;)

Cheers,
    Josh

Attached Files:

11. arran

arran Registered Member

well if vendors make a fix then it wouldn't matter if it is the 1st

but the sandboxie vendor never made a patch with all those stop.exe tests bypassing sandboxie from the "some test" thread did he.

12. arran

arran Registered Member

of course they will make a fix they normally do, its only what's his name? Tuzac the sandboxie vendor who doesn't make fixes.

Even tho its more of an Inconvenience than a security risk, I personally class Inconvenience as a security problem as well. I would Hate it if I was playing World of Warcraft and the game kept on crashing because my HIPS or Sandbox was unable to control the behavior of other running processes.

Next thing people will also be saying that if your OS got infected, that's its just an Inconvenience. OH just restore a back up Image no permanent damage done.

13. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

Yes, this is just a Windows Message POC. Though, I can't rule out buffer overflows(unlikely).

Eqsecure v.4.* gave alerts from what it termed as "Process Message". The POC will just try to overwhelm a target application with a flood of Windows Messages. But it didn't overwhelm the oldversion applications I use like CCleaner even if I completely disabled Eqsecure.

Can't understand why other HIPS didn't give alerts of those windows messages.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  14. arran

arran Registered Member

well I can't see it being an ordinary normal type windows message other wise comodo and MD would of been able to block it. this test must have some other obscure method to send message. interesting how eqs 4 blocked it. might give it a try at some stage.

15. trismegistos

The answer is "User-friendliness".
    HIPS alerting every interprocess communications will drive them nuts... he he
    ...and an easy way to mess up one's system's and application's functionalities without any particular significant benefit securitywise, on which a simple default-deny or anti-executable can give adequate protections also.
    But then again, a well-featured HIPS provides a good learning experience to a control freak like me. Ha ha

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  16. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

You tested anything, in fact in that way you did not allow to execute it.
    I can have the same result with any security software, but only with software restriction policy [see attachment]

...You know, must execute the "malware" before to do a test.. while with your config you deny all the new executions, so malware can't execute (and test does not start) ;)

Attached Files:

17. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

Sorry, i hadn't read your reply:oops: :p

Regards

18. trismegistos

stackz offers a hint which I had initially overlooked...

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Looks like OA 3.5.0.36 beta does the trick and silently prevents the POC from being able to damadge other processes.

20. arran

arran Registered Member

Yea I installed EQS V 4 and can see by these logs that it is Flooding notepad with continuous messages. It is normal for processes to send messages to each other but not to this heavy extent of Flooding. So I don't know why other HIPS don't provide any protection from this. By the way I have installed sandboxie haven't used it for ages, seems a bit lighter than what it used to be and a few more features so I am quite impressed with it, now using it instead of deep freeze atm.

Attached Files:

• test.JPG
      test.JPG
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
  21. arran

arran Registered Member

well if have sent xiaolin a pm so hopefully we will get an update soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.