Outpost Security Suite Pro Public Beta-Release 5.0.1184.611.168

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chubb, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nippauls

nippauls Registered Member

Hi Paranoid,
    as you are well aware a number of postings were removed from that thread due to worry about possible effects the news would have on the product.
    That thread has been censored heavily, and is no longer worth reading.
    It would be better if folks trying this product did their own testing and formed their own opinions.
    nippauls

2. hiro

hiro Registered Member

Hi, nippauls

-it is better to understand late, that never!

hiro

3. nippauls

hi hiro,
    if you are using opss, see what a scan with RKR shows you... let me know if it's the same as others are finding....
    nippauls

4. minoka

minoka Registered Member

Hi nippauls,

You know that I started the thread in question over at the Outpost Forum and I have considered it mine, so much so that I closed it myself.

I can assure you that not a single post has been moderated or deleted in that thread :)

5. nippauls

Hi minoka,
    I have screenshots showing missing threads, and others have asked where some of my "findings" that they read disappeared to....
    nippauls

6. nippauls

Anyways,

I don't want to get into conspiracy theories.... I'm just suggesting that folks testing this latest product run a test with RKR and form their own opinions...

I don't want to argue the fact... it's important that people make their own minds up rather than listen to arguments about whose thread it was and whether or not it's been "doctored"....

Public beta testers should thoroughly test the products they are trying, and I am suggesting they make just one important test, and judge their own results.

This subject will shortly be aired in at least 3 publications who have all run THEIR OWN TESTS and will write THEIR findings.

nippauls

7. minoka

minoka Registered Member

Hi nippauls,

You clearly referred to the thread posted by Paranoid2000. Again, in that thread, nothing was removed or deleted.

8. nippauls

sorry if I referred to the wrong thread.... :)

I also had the same results as you when I re-ran my tests.... so did others.

9. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Registered Member

Not by you, but by others.

10. nippauls

Fade To Black,
    Thank you for your confirmation :)
    nippauls

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

No, that thread has not been moderated at all by anyone, except for being closed when the issues raised were resolved to the original poster's satisfaction.

If anyone has an issue about moderation at the Outpost forum, the proper avenue to discuss it is via a PM to myself or any of the other moderators. It is inappropriate to raise it on other forums.

12. nippauls

Paranoid,

I am suggesting that people try a little test on a new product... nothing more.

It's a BETA product, and it will benefit greatly if as many people as possible can test it thoroughly.

nippauls

13. hiro

hiro Registered Member

-yes I confirm OSSP install ROOTKIT, and on OP forum reaction is KILL the messenger like ever!
    -then come on Wilders and speak 'dear PM me', this is inappropriate!!!!!

14. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I tried installing and using OPSS for sometime and it looked OK to me. However, I had some DNS lookup problems when using IE to go to any websites and I had to disable KIS6 (or simply clicking Refesh in IE multiple times) in order to load any webpage. I was using KIS6 (with OP patch) and Outpost 4 Pro before trying OPSS. Eventually I found that if I removed all the new Winsock LSPs installed by OPSS, the DNS lookup error would go away. After discussing with OP's personnels, I learnt that the LSPs were essential in order for the enhanced anti-malware plugin to work. Removing the LSPs would not trigger any warnings from OPSS or the anti-malware plugin itself, so be careful if you do things like "netsh winsock reset" or use some utilities to reset your Winsock LSP chain for whatever reason.

15. nippauls

lu chin,
    did you run rootkit revealer?
    nippauls

16. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

No I don't. I am not too worried about rootkits since I reformat my PC every few months. :D

17. Seer

Seer Registered Member

lu_chin,

you might as well have some rootkits already if you have Outpost Suite installed. Scan your machine for rootkits, there are some of us lurking on this thread with great interest. :)

18. nippauls

lu chin,

please run rkr while opss beta is installed...
    I and others have found rootkit type signatures in our computers caused by OPSS beta, and these files do not all delete with uninstallation of the program.
    please do this as an experiment, and let us know what you find?
    thanks.

nippauls

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hmmmm :cool: Wouldnt touch this suite with next doors mother In-Laws washing :p It leaks like a basket of Slippery Eels in a Monsoon :ninja: Plus we tested it at Microsoft,and we shut it down in 12.998 Seconds. with no trouble at all :cautious:

20. hiro

hiro Registered Member

-or scan your system with GMER
    GMER is an application that detects and removes rootkits .
    It scans for:
    -hidden processes
    -hidden threads
    -hidden modules
    -hidden services
    -hidden files
    -hidden Alternate Data Streams
    -hidden registry keys
    -drivers hooking SSDT
    -drivers hooking IDT
    -drivers hooking IRP calls
    -inline hooks

http://www.gmer.net/index.php

21. nippauls

Or NOD32..... they ALL show the same results...

Even if Agnitum has used this coding with good intentions, it is PUBLIC PERCEPTION of rootkit technology that people will judge it by... after the Sony and Kaspersky attempts at using it.

22. hiro

hiro Registered Member

-made confirmation from same Mikhail (Agnitum Ltd.)

-deleted on product uninstallation (not at all! o.p.)

-if various anti-rootkit tools they say that and rootkit, then and rootkit without further discussion!!!

-good intentions or bad intentions from Agnitum? that user will judge it!

good luck Agnitum?

23. nippauls

Strange Mikhail should say that, it's EXACTLY what Sony said :D

24. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

25. nippauls

It is probable that Agnitum will argue that this technology is harmless, but I would argue that given recent bad publicity with Sony and to a degree with Kaspersky, only a total imbecile would use coding that is so badly perceived by the public.

There are so many other ways to achieve the same effect... so why have they used the same technology that Sony took such a caning over so recentlyo_O?

Lack of expertise? If so, that is also very worrying.

Deliberate? if so, also that is very worrying......

Either way it was either a very stupid, naive or thoughtless move to use this type of technology... even if used in a useful way. The Sony episode proved very clearly that the public will not tolerate this sort of behaviour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.