Utorrent

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Delgado, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Im using the bit torrent programme utorrent. Ive just tried it using the enhanced rule set, and it connected and worked. Do i still need to install the rule set from you called "Bit Torrent", and if so what difference will that make?

Utorrent uses one port only and im using port 48253.

Delgado

2. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

no not really...to make u connectable u must forward the port though..rightclick the blocked TCP incomming conn and create:

Add Rule TCP: allow Port 48253 Server

the only diff now is that u r connectable...they say its better for seeding?!

i get max speeds whitout adding the rule

3. Delgado

Thanks fred,

My prog seems to be working OK without adding the rule, so as you say yours is. I wont bother at the moment, see how it goes.

If Ive got to add rule later, when I right click on pro nothing happens. Do I have to go to Internet Filter and highlite the rule TCP Block incoming connections, and then click edit?

Thanks for help

Delgado

4. chaosblade

chaosblade Registered Member

Incoming connections are pretty important for BitTorrent, so i would create that rule. What i did is just create a rule for incoming and outgoing traffic on my uTorrent port for the UTORRENT.EXE program itself (or at least, the rule is triggered by the launching of uTorrent).

5. Delgado

Thanks you guys for your help will try what you recommend.

:) :) :)

6. Delgado

Well I have success with this. Ive altered the Bit torrent rie file from the site, to read utorrent, and altered the port numbers to mine, and installed. Seems to be working.

Can anyone tell me if i have put my security in jeapordy by doing this?

Thanks in anticipation- Delgado.

PS- What a friendly forum this is thanks again for help!!!

7. chaosblade

Opening a port is always somewhat of a risk. But since the only application that should be listening on that port is utorrent, You're probably safe (unless uTorrent has some serious buffer overrun weakpoints - and i doubt that).

8. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

check log
    rightclick blocked TCP conn
    add TCP rule 45444 Server
    http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4774/pic261200622160430120062191214.png

place it below +ACK-URG
    http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4774/pic261200622160430120062191214.png

select rule..click edit .. click applications..add UTorrent
    http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/4774/pic261200622160430120062191214.png

save

finally UTorrent shows u that Network status = OK
    http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4774/pic261200622160430120062191214.png

credits to imageshack for hosting...

i could be totally wrong here...?! dont shoot me :thumb: :D

9. chaosblade

Thats pretty much it, Besides the reasoning of putting it below some other rules. Thats more specific to the rules you use i guess.

10. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

That's a good way to demonstrate LNS log handling :D. If you need DHT network, you should have to switch from "TCP" to "TCP or UDP" in rule edit.

11. Delgado

Thanks Fred. Most helpful. I appreciate your help.

Will set up as you say. Thanks for your time.

12. Khane

Khane Registered Member

Hi

I am a Look 'n' Stop and also a µTorrent newbie and I have some questions about making rules in Look 'n' Stop for µTorrent.
    I have read this thread but I am afraid that because of my limited knowledge about technical stuff related to computers , the explanations were a bit confusing for me.

Before using µTorent I used the original BitTorrent client and of course I downloaded the rules for BitTorrent from the Look 'n' Stop web site and applied them. After a few days I started to use µTorrent and made it my default BitTorrent client. I was sure it would be OK but when µTorrent is running , DHT is always on DHT (0 Peers (Login)" or sometime on "Waiting to log in". I then try to use Windows XP firewall instead and then peers started to appear in the DHT. It seems that the rules from Look 'n' Stop for BitTorrent do not work wery well for µTorrent.

I would like to know if I understand exactly the explanation in post # 8 of this thread.
    Here are the step as I understood them :

1. go to "Log" and then right click on any of the TCP : Block incoming connection
    2. left click on "add rule: TCP Allow Port 32459" that appears
    3. go to "Internet Filtering" and double click on "TCP Allow Port 32459" to edit
    4. in Rule Editing ,under TCP/UDP : port I should see : "Equals" then "32459" and then "0"
    5. click on "Application" and then double click on UTTORENT.1.4.2.BETA BUILT EXE

I don't know if it is the right thing to do to make a rule that works with µTorrent but that's what I did. Now when I open µTorrent I get a "NAT error"" and DHT keeps being on "Waiting to log in" and download is ridiculously slow.
    As soon as I close Look 'n' Stop and open the Windows' firewall DHT starts showing nodes and the download speed drastically rises , so I bet that I did something wrong while making the rule for µTorrent in Look 'n' Stop :doubt:

Thanks in advance.
    Khane

13. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

For DHT, you'll need to allow inbound UDP connections to local port 32459.

edit: and outbound UDP as well, of course, to any remote port.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  14. 2MA

2MA Registered Member

@ fred22
    What rules set are you using? Phant0m?

15. altea

altea Registered Member

hello !
    i ve exactly the same problem than Khane but for my part, it seems to have no influence on my speed which is high
    can u explain what's this another rule to be added ??

thanks !!

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

17. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I have created just two rules and uTorrent working beautiful and not experienced ANY problems since I’ve begin testing which was well before the creation of this here topic…

These rules aren’t going to be what most be expecting to see, and may not work depending on persons connection type, operating system and network configurations.

Attached Files:

18. Phant0m

... .. .. .

Attached Files:

19. Phant0m

... .. .. . .

Attached Files:

20. Phant0m

Probably isn’t best idea to set Application on these two rules, I think there is a slight problem with uTorrent and way that feature works for UDP Protocols...

21. agentsmith

agentsmith Registered Member

I'm just trying to set up uTorrent myself and I'm total newbie at this, but I noticed this in the Beginners Guide on the uTorrent website:
    But from the pictures you posted above, it seems you're doing exactly that.

22. agentsmith

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not...

I'm behind a router, so I went through the process of setting up a static IP address and port forwarding on the router (using the instructions here: http://portforward.com).

I have not set up any rules for uTorrent in "Internet Filtering", but it is still able to connect and seems to be working fine, although my download/upload speeds are rather slow, around 15 kB/s or less (usually less).

Before I set up the port forwarding on the router, I would get blocked incoming connections showing up in the log, but now there are none. How is it connecting without a rule to allow it? Why aren't the incoming/upload connections being blocked anymore? Will the speed improve if I add a rule as you folks have described here?

PS: I am using the Enhanced Ruleset with no changes from the default settings/rules.

23. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Are you sure the network interface is correctly selected in the options ?
    When it is properly selected, on the welcome page:
    - your IP address is displayed
    - the "connected to internet" checkbox is ticked (automatically)
    - the stats are progressing when there are transfers

In the application filtering you can select the !! attributes for your P2P client so you will see which ports are used exactly (for the outgoing connections only).

Frederic

24. agentsmith

Yes, this was the problem. I have a laptop with built-in wireless, so I set up a static IP address for both the LAN and wireless connections. In "Options", it had "automatic selection" and the wireless connection checked for some reason. As soon as I switched it to the wired connection, I got LOTS of log entries.

Does this mean LnS only monitors/guards one connection at a time?

25. agentsmith

I just discovered something...

When I have the ethernet card selected in the "network interfaces" and "automatic selection" checked, if I unplug the ethernet cable, LnS automatically switches over to the wireless connection... it then shows the IP address of the wireless card on the Welcome page, and has the wireless card selected in the "network interfaces" list.

However, when I plug the ethernet cable back in, it does NOT automatically switch back, and stays with the wireless card.

Why can't LnS monitor more than one connection at once? I would like to have everything set up so that I can go back and forth between wired and wireless without having to manually change anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.