Comodo Programs manager : Revo alternative??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikanthpromod, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Registry clean up, uninstall, backup and restore programs in Windows with Comodo Programs Manager easily!
    Active monitor
    Clean Partial Uninstall
    Remove Drivers and Services
    -http://programs-manager.comodo.com/-

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The review is very positive and the software is free. I couldn't find anything specific about support for 64bit Windows - can anyone confirm? Also, for Comodo Programs Manager to track program installs it must have a real-time monitoring component which has some impact on resources, but this wasn't evaluated AFAICT.

4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I have installed it on my system [ win 7 x64 ]
    and the cpmservice is using 4568k memory right now according to task manager

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Id like a bit more info about the two points the reviewer mentioned in the article and what they entail/how they work ?
    Every time you run an installer for a program, CPM checks the installer for malware using Comodo's cloud technology.
    CPM has the the ability to keep your applications up-to-date using Comodo's "constantly updated" database.
    ellison

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Checking for malware seems straightforward, but application updating is more complicated and potentially problematic. I would not want that to be automatic.

7. ellison64

Well without more info im not sure that checking for malware is straightforward.Does it just inform or block the installation?.If it blocks ,what if its a false positive?.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good to know it's working on x64 and the memory load seems reasonable. I wonder if it eats any CPU? More generally I wonder if the real-time monitoring provides better outcomes Vs Revo and similar "on demand" uninstallers? I don't know exactly how "on demand" uninstallers figure out what is left after the standard app uninstall finishes, but I've never had a problem with them.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I stand corrected :) Those are all good questions that need answers.

10. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

it uses cloud service. so FP would be low:)

11. Technical

Technical Registered Member

How?
    Where is it into the program settings?

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hmm...many functions and even interesting...but too many bugs and FP's, unclear mechanism and job in cloud, some unclear parts in license statement. If one can read about it...unfortunately in Polish...please
    -http://forum.safegroup.pl/comodo-programs-manager-t3920.html?hilit=comodo-

13. ellison64

14. Technical

15. ellison64

Looks like it.Perhaps one of the comodo faithful might mention it so that they can update their site and perhaps avoid confusion.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is a detailed list of features. There are a few options listed that I didn't see previously, such as the integrated backup:

MAIN FEATURES

Uninstall any program
    Completely removes any monitored application on your computer. After you uninstall a program this feature will search for any references in your computer registry and files. Any remains will be deleted.

Uninstall applications using a database
    Completely removes any traces of an application installed prior the Comodo Programs Manager installation using a central database.

Make a self extracting Installable Package from a monitored program
    By using the information from the monitoring system, Comodo Programs Manager is able to combine into a self-extracting archive all the data needed for redeployment on a similar machine.

Multiple-uninstall
    Using this feature you can uninstall multiple applications fast and safe.

Manage windows features
    Instant access to add or remove windows components / features.

Uninstall drivers & services
    You have the possibility to safely uninstall unwanted drivers or services from your computer.

Manage windows updates
    Windows updates module lets you manage windows updates on your computer.

Force delete of locked (in use) files and registry entries
    Opened handles on various used files on your system can cause problems. To bypass this and safely delete any file that a installed program uses, we make sure they will be deleted at system restart.

Backup
    Makes a backup using Comodo Backup before uninstalling applications, drivers and services that can be easily restored.

Customized settings for backup
    To protect your information any backup can have password protection, compression and cryptography.

Real-time scan for malware infected setups (uses the malware detection engine from Comodo Cloud Scanner)
    To ensure that your computer stays safe, every time a setup is started, it is also side-checked for malware using our cloud technology.

Language pack updates (Romanian, Estonian, Italian, German, Russian, Korean, Polish)

Command Line Parameters for the Self Extracting Package
    Run SFX scripts without any user intervention.

Force Uninstall option
    Offers the possibility of uninstalling applications with broken uninstallers.

Enhanced Log
    Logging capabilities for installed applications and deleted entries.

Runtime language change
    Ability to change the language in real-time.

Add Comodo Programs Manager in Control Panel
    A good replacement of Add or Remove Programs & Programs and Features (for Windows Vista or Later).

Social Integration
    Share with friends, recommend COMODO and see which friends are using COMODO Programs Manager.

Enhanced Feedback
    Allow users to post their views, comments and suggestions about Comodo Programs Manager.

INNOVATION & TECHNOLOGY

Active monitor
    This is a monitoring engine that detects setups and actively keeps track of any changes made to the system. This is achieved in real-time and stores information from detected setups.

Added shell integration (for .exe & .msi files) for manual run & monitor
    In the event a setup is not detected or when the automatic detections is off, you are able to right click a setup (.exe or .msi) and install & monitor it, thus making sure that it will be removed safely.

Improved the storage file system (disk-performance)
    By modifying the internal storage system and storage search algorithms, increased disk-performance is achieved.

Increased efficiency of the monitoring system (less CPU usage)
    By improving the algorithms used, we make sure a false-positive ratio in the setup detection is kept to a bare minimum.

General tweaks, GUI improvements, fixes and optimizations.

FIXED ISSUES

- Random BSODs.
    - CPM problem with automatic windows updates.
    - Installer detection issues.
    - Monitoring issues.
    -Uninstall using database issues.
    - GUI issues.

KNOWN ISSUES

- "Restore Backup" and restore from SFX may have some issues for some applications.
    - Some issue regarding Available Windows Updates detection.
    - Issue with detecting updates for some applications.

This really does sound like pretty cool software IF it's stable and works as advertized. The current version was released in September - don't know if they're continuing to develop it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    cool
    but is there a compare with revo pro?

18. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

One thing CPM has that revo[free] does not have is support for 64 bit apps

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Differences

1. Comodo allways monitors new installs, Revo only logs when you tell it to monitor. So Comodo will monitor all programs automatically after one installs CPM.

2. Revo can hunt down installs it did not track, Comodo can hunt applications it did not track when they are in the applications (uninstall) data base.

3. Comodo does a cloud blacklist check (like Immunet free) when installing programs, Revo does not

4. Revo is Revo quality, Despite the issues I have with Comodo build quality, I am trying it out now. (have just created a fresh backup image :D )

Other CPM specifics
    a) can make backups for installed programs without kernel objects (how usefull is that feature :)
    b) can make self extracting installs of monitored programs (so you de-install and re-install a program easily using your own saved settings)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    cool
    but i don't install many program
    is possible to setup comodo to monitor only when i install a program?
    i mean have a service running even i don't install programs...
    like revo pro , it start to monitor in real time when i want to install a program

21. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

I guess you can go to services and set Comodo's from automatic to manual

22. Technical

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I think Kees1958 was implying that Revo build quality is high Vs Comodo which is touch and go sometimes. Regarding Revo having problems uninstalling when a boot is required, can you say more about that? That's not something I've experienced.

24. Technical

When uninstalling the setup could left behind files and registry keys that will be removed on next boot, most of the times because the files/keys are in use. Services and drivers must require a reboot.
    If Revo removes the files/keys needed on next reboot, the final situation is *much* worse if the user just follow the direct uninstaller and boot.

Besides, you can test very poor Revo behavior if you set "Advanced" mode. Try by your own risk and troubles to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials using Revo at Advanced mode :p

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Interesting...what I usually do when uninstalling with Revo (or any other 3rd party uninstaller for that matter) is decline the reboot if the app uninstaller asks for it and allow Revo to do its' follow up scan. When you say the final situation is "much worse" do you mean more traces get left behind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.