Comodo Programs manager : Revo alternative??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikanthpromod, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Everybody do this until they experience problems :)

Yes and, maybe, conflicts with other software due to bad uninstallation (critical in the case of antivirus and firewalls).

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Exactly like that!

Revo Free, Revo Pro Payware and Comodo Programs Manager - all are uninstall app. that can't handle with programs that require reboot; also with app. that don't require but needed a reboot to do an appropriate uninstall. It's adviced always to do the uninstall with the own uninstaller firstly (without uninstall files/registry leftovers before the owner uninstaller give the final touch entirely).

E.g. to uninstall Returnil with these app. is the first step to have problems; uninstall rollback app. (AyRecovery, Comodo Time Machine, etc.) with this kind of uninstall software could be a disaster... Be careful.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

When using Revo when it asks me to restart I say no, finish removing left over files, registry THEN restart.

4. Technical

Technical Registered Member

That is exactly what everybody does.
    And then the problems arise... :(

5. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

What problems? I do that on all my PCs and I haven't reinstalled my Windows since almost 2 years ago. And that was when I put windows 7 for the 1st time.

6. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Revo free on XP, and the last couple of years i have uninstalled anything you can imagine without a single problem. And it's not only me, everyone that i know uses Revo

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just tried comodo programs manager.Seems to work ok ,but experienced much longer startup times on my laptop ,which I dont like.Also programs seem to open much slower everything left on default settings) I think Ill stick with total uninstall for the time being which can handle reboots.

8. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

i installed Bookstories game trial version (60mins free playing) via context menu
    "install with Revo uninstaller pro".. played for 5 mins.. then uninstalled from traced programs in revo.. No restart required. Installed the game again. 60 mins free gaming was available..:thumb:

repeated the same with CPM.. and uninstalled via context menu"uninstall using CPM". It asked for a reboot.. Installed the game again .. 60 mins free gaming was available..:thumb:

i found revo unintall is quicker than CPM( should be due to cloud scanning)..
    But CPM is Free;)

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

These are special system level apps and I agree that they should be allowed to uninstall without interference from 3rd party uninstaller software. Apps like Revo and CPM should be very clear about situations where they shouldn't be used. Some apps ask for a reboot though only because they include a service, not because they have critical actions to perform. In my experience Revo has removed these without problems. When in doubt I would allow the app uninstaller to completely finish and then use Revo/CPM in hunter mode to find traces. There are also app-specific removal tools - such as the Norton Removal Tool - and they are probably a better choice than a 3rd party uninstaller IMHO :cool:

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry I intended this is a positive manner (Revo is good quality), Comodo has a different reputation on build quility (some 1.x versions are alpha versions :p )

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Are you currently test driving CPM? I'm particularly interested to know how much the continuous monitoring function impacts system performance - that seems like the main downside to this approach. I wonder also about conflicts with security and other low level software.

12. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

But why would you want to continuously monitor your system with those uninstallers, I mean permanently have their service running? Take a snapshot, do the install/uninstall, fellow with another snapshot and let the app do the comparaison and pass the mop.

I'm also used to regularly take and store snapshots, this way it gives me another option to clean some mess that I could possibly do to my pc in my everyday trecking...

-edit: misspellings

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I only have windows 7 ultimate as security, so can not tell.

I have been testing it and just when I started to like it, the performance decrease is minimal in terms of CPU usage and disk I/O (really non noticeable)

Then I found out that it had missed to remove some drivers of at least two programs I tried. The drivers were dead file remnants, so I could easily remove them by hand.

I will keep it for some time to play with, though in doubt now.

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Shared by Arvy in "Beware of Acronis "Leftovers" Issues" topic:
    Again like said above (Technical'advices in this topic and post #27):
    We can add IObit Uninstaller also...

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The operative word here is "require". In my experience many apps ask for a reboot to remove files and keys that Revo (et al) can remove without a reboot. In those cases I've declined the reboot and allowed Revo to finish the uninstall without problems. You have to be able to tell when it's OK and when it's not. If I'm unsure I err on the side of caution and allow the app uninstaller to reboot and finish.

By the way, this is true for installs as well, ie some apps ask for a reboot but work perfectly fine without it (and some don't).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.