Trusteer Bypassed !

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Nice find. Was it x64 platform or 32-bit?

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What are the banks going to do now?

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Sue Trusteer and partner with Webroot? :shifty:

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thats why a layered defense is the best defense.
    Relying on one solution in todays world is to risky, if it's bypassed it's game over.

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Trouble is only a handful of people use a layered defense. The masses expect Trusteer to deliver just as they expect an AV to deliver etc. And they dont have the time. SET & FORGET is what's demanded.

If Trusteer was breached then what about the Internet Security Suites. Many boast safe-on-line banking. I'll bet they haven't made as much effort as Trusteer.

7. m00nbl00d

Sometime ago I came with the perfect solution to defeat keyloggers running in user land, under Windows Vista/7.

Keyloggers were completely blind to the browsers.

Obviously, it was just a test. But, I've set the browser with an explicit high integrity level, and I've applied the flags NoReadUp, NoWriteUp and no NoExecuteUp.

I think NoReadUp would suffice, though. I need to verify it.

I ran the browser as administrator, because you can only run High integrity level objects and containers as administrator.

But, by allowing communications to happen only with the bank's IP(s), then what harm can happen? That would mean intruders were already inside the bank's servers, wouldn't it? ;)

Crazy ideas... o_O

8. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Anything like that in XP?

So does this leave Prevx safeonline as the only free alternative?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. m00nbl00d

Microsoft only implemented integrity levels in Windows Vista+. Windows XP users have no luck.

The only alternative would be to run the browser in a secure desktop. avast! paid products offer this functionality.

There's at least one more application (free; I think the code is available as well), that would allow people to do that as well (to run applications in a secure desktop). I don't recall the name. I'll have to look it up.

10. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

http://www.trusteer.com/support/en/about-rapport

Is Rapport hacker-proof?

Unfortunately, no security solution is. Rapport adds a very important and unique security layer that allows your bank to better protect your sensitive information and promptly react to threats aimed directly at you. With Rapport you are more secure and your bank has better mechanisms to protect your money. However, security is a constant battle and Rapport, as your antivirus solution or any other security product you use, makes it harder for criminals to commit crime.

It's really amusing to see "it's the end of Trusteer!" reactions just because of the typical "see how I bypassed X" video. What security app is immune to this? None.

12. m00nbl00d

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ vojta

I don't see any "it's the end of Trusteer!" reactions ? only justified concerns !

How do you know that ?

Over on KM w32h4x0r has asked for other Apps to test it against, so hopefully we''ll see how they shape up, or not ;)

14. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Like in...

Now, if you tell me that they are just jocking around, that's another thing.

That no app is immune and everyone can be bypassed one way or another by a hacker operating with admin privileges in front of a computer? I don't know, crazy ideas. For example, Safe Online, that has been quoted here as an alternative to the the now 'flawed' trusteer, is bypassed east, west, north and south by the MRG's simulators and their real world malware tests daily.

15. m00nbl00d

I obviously cannot answer for the others, but I fail to see how my comment fits on your description, "it's the end of Trusteer!"?

Now, if you don't know whether or not someone is joking, perhaps you should ask the person directly. ;)

16. Esse

Esse Registered Member

17. vojta

vojta Registered Member

"Yeah, we saw this. The fact of the matter is you can design a POC tool to bypass ANY specific security application."

A very interesting post, including the last paragraph.

18. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is not true with the updated version of WSA in 8.0.1.x, and we will be offering a free version similar to SafeOnline in the coming weeks :)

19. m00nbl00d

I suppose it's always good to have one more coming to the fight - in the freeware world. :thumb:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so you can answer in Prevx forum or PM, but will it come as a Xmas present? :D

20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

What's new with the new version of WSA that it won't be bypassed by MRG's tests?

21. PrevxHelp

I don't want to derail the thread but we made several improvements about a month ago which closed off any known vulnerabilities from malware or other testing.

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Great.

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Looks like you've been beat again. Or does this not count? http://malwareresearchgroup.com/

24. PrevxHelp

And the cat/mouse game continues ;)

25. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

As always is the case between vendor & malware authors/researchers.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.