AVG version 8 package Installs the yahoo toolbar

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by GuidoSmith, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidoSmith

GuidoSmith Registered Member

Tip:
    AVG version 8 package Installs the yahoo toolbar
    :-(

2. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

another software I will never install

I do not like unwanted toolbar's

3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

do it as a custom install and you can uncheck it. this is used for the linksystem and webshield.

robin

4. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

You get to choose of you want to install it or not.

5. Corrine

Corrine Spyware Fighter

I'm with you, JonPaul! I detest toolbars.

Granted, as robinb wrote, users can uncheck the default toolbar install. Seeing as how one of the things we see often in "our business" is people complaining about a toolbar showing up on their browser, we know they easily miss those default check boxes.

From what I have been able to ascertain, version 8 is the paid version only, although a free trial is available. The links to the "free for personal use" versions of their software remain at 7.5:

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5

AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition 7.5 (Grisoft)
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (ewido)

AVG Anti-Rootkit Free

6. Corrine

Corrine Spyware Fighter

Oopsie! It appears that robinb is incorrect. In doing a bit of reading, I see from the thread at CoU the Yahoo toolbar is installed even when UNchecked.

That does make me angry. Isn't the license fee enough? How has it gotten to the point where even the security software vendors are untrustworthy?

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i like the toolbar, its not too intrusive and seems to offer extra protection.

active surf-shield and search-shield?

Untitled.jpg

8. kodl

kodl Registered Member

The information is not correct. The toolbar can easily be uninstalled and does not get installed at all if you do not want it and uncheck the appropriate option. The toolbar is not a 'Yahoo search toolbar' but rather a tool to give you easy access to the new Search and Surf protection from within the browser, where you will most likely need them most. Still, the protection is available even without the toolbar so if you don't like it, you do not have to install it

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i really like the overall package and its definatly an improvement on 7.5, so in that case.... better is always, erm... better. :)

10. Corrine

Corrine Spyware Fighter

Certainly the toolbar can be removed -- if the user has that type of experience. However, the money for the install is most likely already lining the pockets of AVG management.

The posters in the thread at CoU are not inexperienced. If they said they unchecked the toolbar, I believe them. If the linked image isn't a "Yahoo search toolbar", you tell me what it is. It certainly looks like Yahoo to me.

AVG_YahooToolbar.gif

So why install the Yahoo search toolbar in the first place? Ah, yes, indeed, the license fee apparently isn't enough to satisfy the money-grubbers in the business world. pfffffffft I will stick with honest folks like Bill Pytlovany (WinPatrol) who place integrity above the almighty dollar.

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Agreed.
    Unwanted toolbars suck. :thumbd:

12. TeMerc

TeMerc Registered Member

Looks like yet another vendor for me to remove from my affiliates list and my recommended list as well.

Tho I suppose we could give them some time to see if they come to thier senses.

But I'm not hopeful, usually the afore mentioned $$$ lined pockets win out.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

people are really making a big deal over nothing.

14. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) I am also testing this out, having upgraded my AVG Anti-Spyware to version 8.0 (now my program says "AVG Anti-Spyware Professional Edition" in the corner, but it is actually the Antivirus Program, which includes the previous Anti-Spyware Program!). The Yahoo toolbar is installed; however, if I go to View-->Toolbars, then uncheck Yahoo toolbar, it is not displayed. But the important thing is that if I then use my normal Google search bar to search for something, the sites that are listed still have an AVG icon next to them indicating whether each one is safe to click on or not! So, if I don't like the Yahoo toolbar and don't want to see it or use it, I just hide that toolbar and use my normal search bar--with the same safety check by AVG. I don't find this to be too bad! I like seeing the little green safety status icon next to each site listed on the page. So far, I happen to like the AVG program.

15. robinb

robinb Registered Member

nope not true.
    I installed it and made sure the check mark was not on and I also did a custom install and removed the webshield and the linkshield because they are making firefox and ie7 go very slow.

Maybe that person thought he unchecked it but the best way to do this is to do it as a custom install not a typical.

robin

16. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Yep...exactly what I have done (unchecked AVG Toolbar). So, yeah, no big deal really.

17. Corrine

Corrine Spyware Fighter

Proving that installing AVG 8.0 without the Yahoo Search Bar is not a clear-cut option as the majority of people do not do a custom install. Furthermore, as you stated, apparently the software with a "normal" installation interfers with both IE7 and Firefox.

18. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

I'm with you, Corrine. You know how I feel about foistware. It's bad enough in a free product, and intolerable in a paid-for product. Of course, since AVG Anti-spyware will no longer be available as a standalone product, I won't be using it after my paid subscription runs out anyway. :cool:

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, its just selfish to think that just because you dont want it, others wont either.

you dont have to use the toolbar, as staff have already mentioned in this thread.

the choice is yours.

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I understand your point C.S.J but......
    If I want a toolbar i'll download toolbar.
    If I want a security app i'll download a security app.
    (But I don't want a toolbar)

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you dont have to have the toolbar, i think the majority of people would at least prefer to be offered a choice.

same goes for suites with/without parental control, even though i dont want it, id still prefer a suite to have it because there will be users who do want/need it, as long as there is an option to choose not to install it, im happy, this is the same with AVG 8.0 ;)

22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

that is correct- that is why while in beta we told grisoft to fix this and i am clueless why they did not.

Maybe if enough people who install it fully find their browsers slow down and they email support they will come out with a fixed version

I hope so.

robin

23. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

Are you comparing a parental control feature in a security suite with a toolbar that's nothing more than advertisement? o_O

24. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

If AVG really wanted to "offer a choice" on the toolbar they could at least advise/warn users in a screen before the custom and typical install screen that they need to opt out of the toolbar install if they do not want it. Without that warning most users will do a typical install and never even know they had the option. Or if it is defaulted to unchecked the ones who might actually have wanted it will not get it. Which way does the toolbar default anyway, checked/unchecked? I have read both so i don't know.

I personally wouldn't have installed the new AVG anyway since it is a suite but I would have still respected them as a quality software. Not now though since they incorporated a third party toolbar. :thumbd:

25. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

Just because one may not be forced to install a toolbar does not, in my opinion, make it alright for a vendor to include such a toolbar in a paid product, especially since it is admittedly not needed for the proper operation of the product.

The toolbar is not a necessity, nor was it necessary to integrate AVG-AS into AVG anti-virus and then tell paying customers that the only way they can continue to use AVG Anti-Spyware, for which they may have a long-term paid subscription, is if they dump their current anti-virus product and downgrade to AVG anti-virus.

Yes, everyone has a choice. It's certainly the choice of the vendor to discontinue AVG-AS as a standalone product, and it's their choice to bundle AVG-AS with AVG-AV and include a toolbar. However, it would appear they're making business decisions that will give many paying customers more reason to choose to avoid their products than to use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.