AVG version 8 package Installs the yahoo toolbar

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by GuidoSmith, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsok

rdsok Registered Member

I'm not going to argue the point about the toolbar being a "desirable option" or not... it's too subjective. We may as well argue over if chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream was better since everyone is going to have their own opinion on the subject.

I'm also not sure what you mean about having the users having the toolbar foisted upon them... did you also not pay attention to the installation? Did you not see the following that was presented during installation?...

http://www.rdsok.net/misc/AVG8_Toolbar_installprompt.gif

Obviously that was a rhetorical question... since you must not have paid attention either if you are going to imply that it was foisted upon the users in some way. Its obviously a question that is asked during the installation. Perhaps you are just apposed to it also including a search bar? Or are you simply against a search bar that currently only has Yahoo as its only option at this time? Would it even matter if it were say... a Google search instead? Or are you ( and the others here that are apposed to this ) just prejudiced against all search bars?

If it matters, I would prefer Google if I were asked about it... but I don't think that is the point.

The subject that I was addressing was the number of posts that were trying to imply that having the toolbar was somehow like spyware... which it isn't. I also said trying to imply that it was somehow like spyware was "baloney", not that the users opinion of search toolbars was, so do not twist my words. Installing it is an option that is plainly given to the users during installation. These users were simply trying to make illogical correlations with spyware where none actually existed simply trying to add weight to their argument of disliking having a toolbar added. Of course if they actually had paid any attention to the installation, they would have seen the option plainly given to them to install it or not.

There is no gravity of the situation here... either the user pays attention and actually takes the time to read the prompts presented to them during the installation or they don't. There is no conspiracy as so many are trying to imply. There is an AVG toolbar added ( if the option is taken ) which also happens to have a search feature in it that at this time only has Yahoo as its only option, it is nothing more.. it is nothing less.

So far the implications that so many are complaining about ( it being spyware-like ) are not grounded in any facts... they are only accusations without substance. These posts that try to imply this is somehow like spyware are bogus... they are too much like the witch hunts that took place in Salem, Mass in the USA and have as much credence as those trials... they have no basis in fact as far as what has been presented to this point.

I don't have a problem with a user stating what their opinion is on this or any subject... What I do have a problem with is when they also try to imply that there is something sinister about it without having anything to back their statements on.

2. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

Your inattention to detail is either woefully inadequate or it's deliberate. Perhaps that may explain why you did not notice, or chose not to notice, the content of the image to which you linked. It clearly states that the toolbar is a "security toolbar." At no point is it mentioned that the toolbar is also a Yahoo search bar and/or that it is being used to generate additional income for Grisoft.

The fact that you only have two posts here at Wilders, both of which are in vigorous defense of AVG's toolbar, does cause me to ponder your motives, especially since you link to AVG from your own site:

http://www.rdsok.net/

3. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

That is exactly my point of contention with this "security bar"

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

5. rdsok

rdsok Registered Member

Insinuate what you wish... too bad you don't have anything to base them on. They are as baseless as your other comments have been and are simply a matter of your opinion as well.

I normally don't need to visit this forum... but just for your info I was a member previous to its move to Wilders... what that means or proves is nothing as is my having not posted here since means nothing.

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Randy,

IMO all arguments of NonSuch are valid: you are moderator of AVG Free Forum, anyway, i base on that fact your defense of AVG's toolbar.

Regards,

7. rdsok

rdsok Registered Member

While I'm a mod on the forum... and do like AVG products... I do not work for AVG Technology... I volunteered my time there to help other AVG Free users and that is all.

NonSuch may have valid opinions... but that is all they are ... yet he/she and others keeps trying to use them as facts which they are not. They even stooped so low as to insinuate that somehow even I had something to gain by pointing out the info I brought up... talk about trying to misdirect the topic to avoid the facts...

Again I must point out that what I was bringing up was the constant insinuation that having a search tool on the toolbar was spyware-like and that simply is not the case. In fact I actually use one ( Google ) personally to do research on the malware that I may have not seen before... so the user that mentioned that a search tool isn't useful in fighting malware didn't even consider the researching direction that it could be used for.

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Nothing wrong with that, helping the user is always commendable.
    Fact is too that AVGs toolbar "move" have caused lot of discussion within the security community, and raised many questions by well-respected institutions, malware fighters and site owners. All matured opinions, and most of the time with negative content.
    I have no doubts about your good intentions with AVG. But isn't it wiser staying out of the whole discussion about the subject, anyway on other boards then the AVG forum? E.g. by participating this "Wilders thread" you don't serve Grisofts interests, by your way of defending the toolbar issue you provoke the AVG toolbar opposition.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.