spyware guard errpr message

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by rrossum, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrossum

rrossum Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

I just installed the Spyware 'suite' (S&D, Blaster & Guard)

So far so good ..... All appeared to be doing what they promise.

BUT ..... I tidied up by moving the applications to a new folder and got an error message when I opened other folders.

It says
    "Error reading Spyware guard definitions. The file may be corrupt, or another program may have tampered with them.

Run live update .............. This message will appear when you try to run covered filetypes ............ unless you disable protection."​
    I ran 'Live update' Same result.

I uninstalled from SpywareGuard's uninstaller (It wouldn't delete SPYWAREGUARD.DLL) and re-installed in C:\programs\securityapps\

Same result.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi rrossum,

I think that moving SpywareGuard away from the folder it was installed in, is causing your problems.
    Can you reconstruct the folder (exact name and path) it was installed to?
    You should be able to uninstall it then and install it again to the folder where you want it.

Regards,

Pieter

3. rrossum

rrossum Registered Member

Dear Pieter,

Thankyou. Why didn't I think of doing that?! (No prizes)

I'll try it and get back to you.

RRossum

4. Guest AF

Guest AF Guest

I downloaded Spyguard cos we were having allsorts of trouble with browser hijackers and at first it worked OK, though we still had to change the registry files back to our own browser sometimes. But then all of a sudden we receivedthe same error message as Rossum. I didn't do anything at all to any files or folders and yet still receive this message i.e.

"Error reading Spyware guard definitions. The file may be corrupt, or another program may have tampered with them.

Run live update .............. This message will appear when you try to run covered filetypes ............ unless you disable protection."
    There ia also an error message about kernel 32.dll that comes up at the same time. o_O
    I have tried to run the Live update programme but that just crashed the computer. I have tried reinstalling from the website and that has made no difference. I have tried to uninstall the program but that crashed the computer too. I'm not very compuetr literate and don't like to touch any files in windows that I'm not sure about. The compuetr is an HP running Windows ME. Can you help?

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Guest AF,

Is using System Restore to revert back to a point before this started happening an option that won't ruin something else?

Regards,

Pieter

6. Guest AF

Guest AF Guest

Having clicked on SYstem Restore error message comes up again and will not let us into System Restore or indeed other files including even games. Any ideas.. PLEASE.. getting desperate!

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2004
  8. Julian

Julian Guest

With regard to the problem with System Restore, I have had the same problem before and it is usually caused by the system having created a zero byte copy. Do a search for helpctr.* and delete the zero byte copy. Help should then work (with a bit of luck!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.